“Enjoyable stop”
Review of Sweet Art Bakery - CLOSED

Sweet Art Bakery
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We stumbled across this place as we we were walking in North Vancouver as I spotted the Eiffel Tower in the sign and thought, might be French with some decent pastries. Plus I liked all the kitsch fat bakers sculptures in the window (and more inside). There was a nice rustic ambience and a small crowd so things were looking up.

The woman who served us chatted about the milk chocolate hazelnut florentine (one of her favourites) and dished up a piping hot cappuccino. I also ordered a blueberry lemon custard for myself and we truly enjoyed this nice little slice of Europe. Not trendy, just friendly, with decent snacks for a blustery windy day.

1  Thank DavidTAC

Reviewed July 9, 2013

This little European bakery and café has wonderful, affordable oatmeal for breakfast. The coffee is very good. Service is earnest. The baked items are tasty, but some did not seem like they were same-day fresh, so ask first.

1  Thank Angela H
Reviewed March 29, 2013

it used to be a good place and now it feels like you're in one of those Chinatown places, coffee is still good but staff is rude and can hardly speak English.

1  Thank Pavel B
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Ordered croissants and biscotti to go. The croissants are terribly sub-par. No layers. It tasted like plain white bread. Lacked the layers and flakes of a real butter croissant. The biscotti aren't bad.

What really got me was the lack of customer service. The young lady working the front couldn't muster so much as a greeting, was disinterested, unappreciative and I felt as though my patronage was such a bother to her. I will never return. On an aside, I had recently returned from a trip in Paris - and unlike other reviewers that state that this establishment is like sitting in a café in Paris - That, is so far from the truth!

Those seeking fantastic croissants - should goto Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts at Granville Island. The students until the tutelage of Classically French-trained Chefs create delightful pastries. Sweet Art should be embarassed.

3  Thank dennyb33
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Polite, friendly service. Very fast! We came on a Saturday afternoon and we were served promptly. Cute teapots! There are many types of pastries and baked goods, as well as soup and sandwiches. The soup was a little flavourless but the croissants were great.

3  Thank oolichan