“Lunch with Daughter”

Ranked #436 of 936 Restaurants in Richmond
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: City Centre
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This restaurant is located in “downtown” Richmond approximately ½ mile from Richmond Centre in a strip mall that also has a White Spot and a Price Smart store.

No special occasion other than my daughter was working in Richmond and she phoned us for lunch on a Friday. My spouse chose this restaurant because it was close to where my daughter was working and she had to get back to work before 1:00.

We arrived around 11:40 and were promptly seated. Lunch was not rushed and we were done by 12:45. Past 12 o’clock the restaurant started to fill up but there were no waits for seating.

Once we ordered, the dishes came in a timely manner (not all at once).

My daughter is a vegetarian so we ordered only 1 meat dish for my spouse and me and the remaining 4 dishes were vegetarian. See photos.

• Steamed vegetarian buns (2 per order). The only thing I can think of to describe the bun’s shape - like Stewie Griffin’s head (cartoon character from Family Guy) or see attached photo!
• Shanghai noodles (vegetarian) – approx. $10
• Onion pancakes
• Deep fried tofu with vegetables – approx. $10
• Rice noodles (oval shaped) with shredded pork – approx. $10

The Shanghai noodles and the oval-shaped rice noodle taste wise was almost the same; only difference being one was meatless. The meat version could have been meatless as the shredded pork was lacking in the dish.

My daughter commented that the pancakes were a little greasy but nonetheless tasty.

The other dishes were average; nothing spectacular.

The only dish I really enjoyed was the vegetarian tofu dish.

The service was better than average. The friendly server told us that 5 dishes were more than enough. We had leftovers enough for another person.

The total for the 5 dishes including taxes before tips was approx. $42.00.

Overall, I would rate the total food experience 3 out of 5.

Notes:
Cash only if you spend less than $50.00.

Parking can be hard to find in the parking lot depending on the time of day.

For lunchtime, the restaurant has Northern dim sum that you can order by checking off items wanted on the order slip. The only problem is it’s in Chinese; no English version. Not to worry, the dim sum items are duplicated in their menu which is in Chinese and English. The menu selection is extensive as there are more than 10 pages.

See my reviews on another Shanghai restaurant for lunch and dinner - Shanghai River restaurant. This restaurant is located less than ½ mile from Top Shanghai (across the street from the Richmond Centre – The Bay on Westminster Highway).

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I am basing this review only on two dishes ordered. We came from a local foodie's recommendation that the xiaolongbaos (soup-filled dumplings were the best in Richmond -- and Richmond likely has the best Chinese food I Van). We also tried a beef egg roll (egg, beef, green onions and hoisin sauce in a fluffy, oily wrap). Geez, they were both so good we got another batch of both dishes! I will be coming back for sure to try other dishes!!!

(service was efficient though it took a while to get servers' attention. Atmosphere is meh... but very authentic Chinese resto.)

Reviewed May 16, 2013

It has been a few years since I have had authentic Shanghai cuisine, and we were not disappointed when we selected Top Shanghai. We ordered: steamed pork dumplings, pan fried pork buns, diced lamb and veggies, the sour and spicy soup, the chilled chicken in rice wine, stir fry snow pea leaf, and special shanghai rice. The food was fabulous and very tasty, particularly the dumplings and the buns. You could tell they were extremely fresh and the thickness of the wrapping was just perfect.

Service was also pretty good - we received our food quickly and it was all served at the right temperature.

Prices are decent - 4 people dining for about $70. I would recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Our party of two was seeking xlb in Richmond and chose Top Shanghai on a Saturday evening. Arriving at 6:20 p.m, we were offered a shared table if we promised to be done by 7:00. We ordered a spicy sliced beef and veggie dish, another veggie medley, xlb, turnip pancakes and a sesame bun. The xlb was quite good and the beef came in a rich broth. We asked for wine, but were advised only beer was available. Many adjacent tables had wine, but apparently brought their own. One of our bun dishes was forgotten until we asked. When the bill arrived, we were told credit card minimum was $50 which was unadvertised anywhere. We elected to tip 10% which brought the total to the specified amount.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

I don't normally review restaurants on TripAdvisor since I leave the food reviews to the Yelpers, but since my review is related to foreign currency, I thought this might be helpful here.

No doubt this restaurant serves up delicious Shanghainese food, but I was a bit irked with their 1 CAD = 0.85 USD exchange rate, which I only found out about when we were ready to pay the bill. At most other restaurants and establishments we visit, the rate is 1:1 so we never bother exchanging money when we come to Canada. So be sure to have Canadian cash on hand or you will pay a bit of a premium. They do accept credit cards with a $50 minimum.

On to the rest of the review...

Food: Pretty yummy. We ordered xiao long bao (juicy pork dumpling), shen jian bao (pan-fried pork bun), and cai fan (vegetable and salty meat rice), and all were quite good. I would have liked to order more dishes, but the two of us can only eat so much.

Service: Normal Chinese restaurant service. They'll take your order and bring your food, but they won't be coming by to check on you.

Ambience: Cramped and crowded; bustling. You go there for the food, not the ambience.