“Disappointment”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Steveston
Cross street: 2nd Avenue
Transit: Public transit stops appox one block away. See translink.ca for routing details
Description: The New Well Tavern is a throwback version of a dining tavern with a food forward approach accentuated by unique cocktails, wine, and beer in a relaxed and accessible atmosphere.
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I have been a Fan of Tapenade for a number of years, so last night was really a bitter disappointment for me .

I have been travelling for a few months, so it was a shock to arrive at the restaurant with thoughts of their signature crispy iceberg Cesar salad, followed by a duck confit, always a delight. The dilemma was also the choice between (winter menu) cassoulet or the amazing short rib.

Everything changed last night. An unfortunate start in being seated next to a crowd with much wine on board and operating above 110 decibels, was not improved by the Server handing me a menu that bore zero resemblance to my earlier Tapenade memories. I actually had difficulty even choosing a dish, as (raw) beef and rare tuna were not on my wish list..

The mixed green goat cheese salad was nicely prepared, but unfortunately the accompanying gravalax on a crisp toast was either over salted or "overly flavoured" by (I believe) miso dressing.

When I questioned a server as to the significant changes, she informed me that Tapenade's previous Chef had departed and they had decided to "move things up a notch" ! I would love to know where he is now working .

The good news is that there is a wonderful gellato store just across the street on the
water side, where you can get a delightful desert !

2  Thank 755Grumpydoc
There are newer reviews for Tapenade Bistro

Reviewed May 29, 2013

By far the best restaurant in Steveston, with a great patio overlooking the fishing boats with the Olympic Peninsula mountains in the background.

Excellent food and attentive service.

Wonderful seasonal menus and winemakers' dinners.

Great wine list and an occasional caiparina!

Cheers!
Susan and Henrik

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I wrote a review on this Bistro on June 14/12; nothing to change from those comments. Tapenade is one of our favourites and Vince and his great staff continue to not disappoint.
I still maintain this is one of the most consistent restaurants in Steveston Village in terms of friendly, competent service and quality of food.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were seated promptly, at a lovely window. The interior decor is lovely inside in warmer weather there is an outside patio.
. The service is wonderful, Franck our server
adds vitality and knowledge to the whole dinning experience. He's refreshing and obviously loves his job.
A wonderful wine list, and of course what good is all this without food?
Our Chef was KAYLA DHALIWALL, who is now competing on Top Chef Canada. Good Luck Kayla!
Every mouthful was an experience of anticipation, the plating was lovely and does what it should draws your eyes in and your mouth salivating.
Just a wonderful dinning experience.
Don't forget dessert it's not just some frozen thing..it's rich and creamy and freshly made.
Can't wait for our next trip to Steveston for another visit to Tapenade Bistro.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Visited this restaurant with friends that live not too far from Steveston (the southwest part of Richmond, BC). Was in the mood for eggs benedict so the basic benedict on the menu caught my eye immediately, it tasted great and the presentation was very good. Our server was friendly and was good with checking up on our table, I think he was originally from France as he really stands out as a restaurant server in the Metro Vancouver area. My friends are regulars and I can see why. Recommended and I would definitely repeat as I'd like to try other items on the menu.