“Never EVER disappoints!”
Review of Tapenade Bistro - CLOSED

Tapenade Bistro
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Barbecue
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Steveston
Cross street: 2nd Avenue
Transit: Public transit stops appox one block away. See translink.ca for routing details
Description: The New Well Tavern is a throwback version of a dining tavern with a food forward approach accentuated by unique cocktails, wine, and beer in a relaxed and accessible atmosphere.
Vancouver
“Never EVER disappoints!”
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We've been going to Tapenade since it opened 9 years ago. We may not be 'regulars' but we do go at least a couple of times a year. I have to say, things never change - aside from the menu. Vincent, the owner, ALWAYS comes and visits at your table - and is acutally interested in having a conversation. Not like some other places where it's just for show. AND he always remembers us - even though we come in only a few times a year. We will definitely be coming in more regularly.

The staff are impeccable. Kristy (hope I spelled it right) was attentive from the moment we sat down. Always arriving at the appropriate moment with a big smile, as did Brianne who brought our bread and entrees and cleared the tableware on cue. She even knew the exact ingredients in dishes - some key servers don't even know that!

Shared the beet salad - which is a signature starter. EASILY sharable. De-lish! Also shared the Olive Tapenade with Crostini. This was our only negative comment - the tapenade is very salty.

Hubby had the Prawns Provencal - he never orders prawns so that was surprising. I had the Braised Beef - to die for. Everything was cooked to perfection and the sides were just as perfect.

Lastly, and this is not a surprise if you're eaten here before - the portions are large. Some people may think the prices are high but if you compare prices to other restaurants of this calibre, you would be getting HALF of the portion you get at Tapenade.

I took home leftovers and we couldn't even look at the dessert menu. We did spy on the next table and their desserts looked fabulous. They are also offering a fixed price menu at the moment - appie, entree plus dessert for $29. The salad starter and braised beef if ordered separately add up to $37 before the dessert!

For a memorable evening and fantastic food, you have to go. JUST GO!

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank TravelBug021

Vancouver, Canada
“They changed the menu”
Reviewed November 23, 2011

I like the french inspired entrees but I am a creature of habit, and they changed the menu on us and I didnt like the new selections. Its a bit pricey too.

Visited May 2011
Victoria, Canada
“Over priced”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

On previous tripadvisor recommendations we checked out Tapenade Bistro. Found very little atmosphere, actually a subdued vibe. Found portion sizes for the price very unsatisfactory, especially the Caesar salad. This salad was small and the dressing overpowered the sparce romain lettuce.

Disappointing.

2 Thank derjm
Vancouver, BC
“Exceptional food, friendly service”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We have never had a mediocre meal here. Food is outstanding. Waiters are alway smiling and happy to assist. We love to have lunch or dinner during the summer on the patio. We can bring our small dog with us and watch the people strolling past.

Ottawa
“Delicious!”
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I have to thank Tripadvisor reviewers for leading me to this wonderful spot. It is close to the river mouth and you can see the fishing boats if you sit on the patio. We sat inside, which was unassuming but with clean and fresh decor. Our server was quite personable and helpful.

I was the only seafood lover in my party of three but both of my companions enjoyed their selections. Frankly, I could not have been happier with my meal. It was the best bouillabaisse I have ever had. The flavour was exceptional (perfectly seasoned), the seafood textures were spot on and not overcooked, as I sometimes find, and included a generous quantity and range of seafood. I started with a double sample of dungeness crab. The appetizer plate came with a wonderfully cooked crab cake topped with a sampling akin to a crab salad. It was a great combination and surprisingly I was quite enamoured with the surrounding greens which were complimented with a touch of an exquisite dressing.

One testament to the popularity of this spot were the large number of local patrons stopping in for lunch on a windy weekday afternoon.

Steveston has a wealth of restaurants to try but this is a don't miss spot.