“Great menu options for healthy travelers”
Review of Globe@YVR

Globe@YVR
Reserve with OpenTable
Globe@YVR is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 909 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Vancouver International Airport
Transit: Canada Line at YVR terminus stop.
Description: Fairmont Vancouver Airport’s award-winning, signature fine-dining restaurant specializes in Pacific Northwest Cuisine. Its contemporary atmosphere combined with spectacular views of the runways and mountains provide an unforgettable dining experience.  Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, Globe@YVR offers travellers Fairmont’s high standard and quality service and a menu of fresh seasonal creations.
Vancouver Island BC Canada
“Great menu options for healthy travelers”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Globe@YVR incorporates the Fairmont Hotels Healthy Choices menu options, which is not just paying lip service to healthier eating. The extensive alternative menu includes vegetarian, vegan, raw, macrobiotic and gluten free selections - all very well thought out. If you are like us, at the start or finish of your holiday find you'd like to opt for something delicious, filling and healthy, this is the restaurant to choose. The service is very friendly and prompt and for an airport hotel restaurant, the ambience is fine. Only thing missing is a rose wine on the wine list.

• Visited May 2012

MARKHAM
“Excellent food. Even better service.”
Reviewed April 1, 2012

The ambiance is airport - overlooking the runways, comfortable and warm. Menu choices are extensive and the service superlative.

• Visited March 2012
Vancouver
“Disappointing Experience: Understaffed and Inability to process my Fairmont Gift Card.”
Reviewed February 8, 2012

My afternoon tea experience with the Globe@YVR was disappointing.

MAKING THE RESERVATION:
First of all, I had some problems making the reservation for the afternoon tea. When I called their restaurant's number, I was redirected to the main Fairmont YVR switchboard. The switchboard girl told me she could make the reservation for me. I told her I wanted a 4 pm reservation. She told me that the time would not work because the afternoon tea ends at 4:30 pm so I would only have a half an hour. My understanding was that afternoon tea is served until 4:30 pm and that you could still remain in the restaurant afterwards. I told this to the switchboard girl and she made the reservation. I was not very confident so I tried to call the Global@YVR to confirm this. I called two other times and was never able to talk to someone at the restaurant. I was redirected to the switchboard every time.

THE FOOD:
The afternoon tea was good but standard afternoon tea quality. Nothing really stood out for me. I did enjoy the strawberries that were provided to compliment the tea. I also liked the tea timer that was given to us.

THE SERVICE:
There were not many people in the restaurant when we were there. In fact, there was just only one server for the restaurant. In the beginning, the service was good. The server brought introduced the tea, brought the tea timer, and introduced the afternoon tea items. However, he did not check on us during the meal and we really needed to get some more water for our tea!!! He was busy setting up other tables and we were not able to get his attention.

THE BILL:
I had a 2 for 1 voucher for the afternoon tea and I wanted to pay the excess of the bill with my gift card. I had previously spoken to someone about a week ago at the Globe restaurant (when they were answering calls) that I was able to do so. Unfortunately, the server mentioned that it would be too complicated to process the voucher along with the gift card. Since the excess of the bill was small, he noted that it would be easier to use cash or credit card. If there are issues with processing a simple gift card, the Fairmont needs to upgrade their IT system. That is pretty ridiculous for such a high end hospitality chain. The server mentioned that the gift card would have needed to be processed at the front desk or something like that. I was disappointed that I was not able to use a Fairmont gift card at the Fairmont. Who would have known?

I had to tip a lesser amount as a result. The server did apologize after he realized I paid a small tip and he offered us another 2 for 1 coupon as well as a few jars of honey. He did say thank you in a sincere manner as we left.

I guess this is a process issue in which Fairmont management needs to improve the staffing as well as their payment system. Afterall, it wasn't like I was using a traveler's check. I was using their company's gift card to be used at their company's restaurant!!

Bad experience with making the reservation -1 pt
Understaffed, inadequate service - 1 pt
Inability to process my Fairmont gift card at the Fairmont -1 pt

That leaves 2 out of 5 stars. Disappointing for a Fairmont experience.

• Visited February 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“Easily the best food option at YVR”
Reviewed January 15, 2012

If you want to sit down and have a quickly served, high quality meal before catching a fight this is your best option.

Pricey.

• Visited June 2011
British Columbia, Canada
“Jetter Setter View, fufu magnificent food, but you may leave hungry.”
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Great attentive Fairmont service from Brittany (hostess) and (Melissa) the server. Great table with spectacular view of runway 26-Right and the International Terminal Extremely pricey wine list, with a higher than average retail to restaurant price spread, and very disappointed that the reds are not chilled to a cellar temperature, for both the price paid, and the damage the heat of halogen lights and a fireplace laden trendy bar can do to vino. Caprese salad unusual, but plentiful, although not sure why bocconcini was mashed up versus sliced, but flavour profile and ratio of tomatoes to greens to cheese was good. Entree right ammount of vegetables, but Duck although hyped up as local, was undercooked and tough and for the potato a mere two slices of la pomme de terre (yes two slices). Dessert was a cinnamon apple Mousse, very flavourful, although small, and hardly enough caramel sauce to taste it in every bite. Strange to spend $120 on myself for dinner, and leave hungry. At least there was food in the terminal to fill the void. Definitely trendy pretendy fufu magic, as Fairmont always is, and awesome service. Just came up far short on value for price paid. Although I dressed for dinner in line with such an establishment, you don't have to as I saw T-shirt and torn jean garbed grown ups scarfing down shrimps, and swailing cosmopolitans, so you could come in yoga pants and spandex if you like, no apparent dress code.

• Visited November 2011