“Great place near YVR”

Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Toronto, Canada
“Great place near YVR”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Great place for a night or two near the airport. It is just a few stops from the airport on the train. The kids loved the waterside at the indoor pool. Rooms were nice and clean. Concierge was great. Heading in to downtown is a quick 20 min on the train, which is connected to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Roland M, General Manager at River Rock Casino Resort, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Doris M,

Thank you very much for telling us about your experience with us. I am happy to hear you were able to enjoy the Canada Line and get to downtown Vancouver so easily. It is such a great amenity that we can offer guests.
I hope you are able to stay with us again soon.

Roland Monteiro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 25, 2013

RR is a very nice hotel with decent facilities and staff but a bizarre food policy.
Stopped by McDonald's on the way back to the hotel for kids' happy meals...was told no "outside food or drink allowed in rooms". Had to go back to the car to finish before entering.
This is simply a bizarre policy that inconveniences guests and feels selfish and petty. We've paid for the room but are forced to overpay for mediocre food in the "food court" or the other decent food outlets in the hotel. Also, with no room service, what are we to do?
PLEASE change this policy as it's insulting and will stop me from ever staying here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Adam A
Dear Adam A,

First of all I want to apologise for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay at the River Rock Casino Resort. I want you to know that this is not our policy and we do allow outside food and beverage, especially something as small as a McDonalds bag. I have been questioning our colleagues as to who had indictated this to you and am trying to get to the bottom of this. We do allow outside food and drink and I am deeply apologetic for the negative experience you had. I fully understand your frustration and would feel the same way. If possible, I would love to speak to you over email or in person regarding this unfortunate event. Please email me at rmonteiro@riverrock.com and we can talk further.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We generally make it a point to stay in Richmond at least once a year and staying at the River Rock is especially convenient to visiting the Richmond Night Market which is located walking distance from the hotel in a huge empty lot next door. The food there is reminiscent of the night market in Hong Kong and the dim sum is freshly prepared and tasty. The bargains are so great, but fun to peruse after chowing down. We've eaten at the buffet at the River Rock on previous occasions and the food was okay, but a bit expensive for buffet style fare. The hotel rooms are all very nice, plush towels and a flatscreen in both the living area as well as in the bedroom if you opt for the suite. We've used the pool and gym in the past as well. The casino is non-smoking and decent size, but on the Saturday evening we stayed there it was busy and it didn't seem like anyone was doing very well at the tables or the slots. There's a showroom for acts like Cheech and Chong was there but we missed the show the night before, a lounge with a live band and overall someplace we generally look first to stay at even though there are tons of hotels in the Richmond area nearby.

The only complaint other than the tough time the casino games gave me was that there wasn't a simple guide in the room that described the menu, prices or hours of the hotel's many restaurants and cafes. Nor was there any postings regarding the spa and pool services and hours. You would think hard copy directories haven't gone out of style yet, but the front desk informed me all the information regarding the hotel/casino is on the television channel...however who wants to watch a 20 minute commercial when a simple in room guide would do? The reception from the front desk was cordial and polite, and there was no lack of security throughout the casino, so overall it was a positive experience as usual. My only other complaint is that the doors to the rooms are not sound proof so several times during the early morning I was waken by loud drunk people walking by our room even with ear plugs on.

If you're a frequent a quick getaway to British Columbia at least once a year, it's well worth it to sign up for the trusted traveler program Nexus so you can bypass the incredibly long lines at the border crossing. With Nexus you can also sign up for the expedited program when coming through Customs or TSA boarding even. Well worth the money not to have to sit in traffic for an hour plus so long as you've been pre-checked by Nexus.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Don Q,

Thank you kindly for you treip advisor response. I appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience and services you encountered througout the resort and casino. The night market is definitely a great attraction to see here in the summer and is quite popular with the locals. Thank you also for your feedback regarding the lack of in room directories. To be more environmentally friendly we have shifted to an online TV directory but you are always more than welcome to call our concierge or front desk who can help you with all the information you need.

Thank you again and we hope to have you stay with us soon.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Love the room and the view was very nice too! The coffee machine was very different but worked well. It took a couple of tries to get it right! Room service light on the doorway was a nice touch; the room was always ready when we got back from the days activities. We took the green and red tour through Vancouver and it was very nice. The ride to Whistler was great! The hotel was set up for people to gamble so be ready for that. The parking lot was a long long walk to the room so be ready for exercise.... We would go back again because it did have a water view and the price was better than other hotels we looked at.

Room Tip: upper floors for a better view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear D M,

Thank you for your review from your last stay with us. I am glad to hear you enjopyed your stay and were able to try all the amenities that we provide. I hope you and your family are able to stay with us again soon.

Barcelona
Reviewed September 24, 2013

First of all: we had booked one room in the Hotel at River Rock but they upgraded us to a suite in River Rock Casino Resort Suites, I don’t know why, but it was great. It was not the best hotel suite (poor views), but it was really nice. That’s the best pro.
The second pro is you have a direct indoor way to go to the Sky train station. The Sky train drives you to Downtown Vancouver in twenty minutes and to other places of interest (Yale town, for instance) in less time.
The hotel has a good fitness room and a nice indoor pole.
Some cons: the parking is very far from the hotel, and you have to cross the entire casino or to walk outside the hotel. A personal experience: we missed some things being in the suite (a razor, scissors and nail clippers), we didn’t know what happened because we were sure we had them because we had used before, and the manager response was not appropriated: promised a free breakfast (why? We hadn’t missed a breakfast) but he never sent us the gift voucher (bad!).
The dinner buffet is not worth the price you pay: the food is ordinary
Anyway, the hotel is good and well situated if you want to visit Vancouver or go to the ferry to Victoria… or play in its casino.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade :-)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Roland M, General Manager at River Rock Casino Resort, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Cronista-xna,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and we were able to upgrade you to the resort. I am sorry you found the walk from the free parkade too far. In the future, our bellman would be happy to hold your bags for you while you park you car. Thank you again for your feeback and we hope you can stay with us again soon.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I treated myself to a mini-holiday with a one night stay. I travelled out on the sky train from Vancouver - 25 minutes - and had a relaxing massage. I then spent a few hours in the casino and had an all-day breakfast in the cafe at a reasonable price. There is a large buffet-style restaurant on site and an Italian-style restaurant. My room was very nice with a view towards Vancouver. The bed was super-comfortable. It is also very close to the airport. - 5 mins. on the sky train. There is also a showroom at the resort but a fund raising concert was being held that weekend. Altogether a pleasant mini-break.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Roland M, General Manager at River Rock Casino Resort, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear patthetraveller0,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback from you latest stay with us. I am glad your mini-holiday turned out so fantastic and you were able to enjoy the Absolute Spa, The Buffet & Casino. I hope you are able to stay with us again soon.

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed at the River Rock Casino for a weekend spa getaway. The hotel rooms were very nice and clean with a great view from the 12th floor. However, the purpose of the trip was for the spa. Very disappointed in the massage and facial I received. The 90 minute massage I received did not include any massaging on the front ie, legs. Worst massage I have ever paid for. The facial advertised a massage for the arms and hands, as well as the scalp. In fact, my spa worker left the room instead of massaging my arms and hands and the scalp massage consisted of placing hands at edges of my head and not rubbing the scalp.

The spa services are better in the school of asthetics for 1/4 of the price. At least they aim to please. The girls at the Absolute Spa shouldn't be in this business if they don't want to touch people.

Room Tip: Ask for the 12th floor, river view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank S-Rtravelbirds
Roland M, General Manager at River Rock Casino Resort, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear S-Rtravelbirds,

First of all I want to thank you for telling us about your experience. It is because of feedback like yours that we can better ourselves as a resort. I am very sorry to hear about your experience at Absolute Spa. I will be sending your feedback to their manager who will have to discuss with their employees. If you would like to contact me personally so I can get the Spa Manager in contact with you to learn more about your experience, please email Chanel Holt, cholt@riverrock.com and she will be happy to help you.