“Not your average casino resort hotel”

River Rock Casino Resort
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Vancouver, Washington
“Not your average casino resort hotel”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We arrived for the local ACBL bridge tournament. Staying on site was the best option, which usually spells compromise in so many ways, particularly if attached to a casino. We were more than pleasantly surprised. Parking was very easy; the Sky Train incredibly convenient; the hotel itself very modern and clean; the staff eager to accomodate; and -- get this-- no smoking in the hotel or the casino!! And with meals compressed between tournament sessions, we had to eat in the 'food court', but found the Chinese options (noodle soup and BBQ duck rice bowl) the best 'fast food' we've eaten in a long time. In the lounge, their options were very tasty and reasonably priced. We had a great time, and would recommend it for folks who enjoy gambling, or want low cost and easy access to downtown via Sky Train.

Room Tip: If you are unhappy, say so! The concierge bent over backwards for us.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Roland M, General Manager at River Rock Casino Resort, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Dear Arrowflight,

Thank you so much for you kind review, it means the world to us that you enjoyed your experience! I will pass on your comments to our noodle bar. We try to make it as authentic as possible and they will love to hear how much you enjoyed it.
The ACBL tournament was so much fun and we hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Kind Regards,

Roland Monteiro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I will start by stating that the staff at the hotel are terrific and I have nothing but good to say about them but I hated the hotel. I am not a gambler and I loathe casinos but we were there for a conference. Our room was attractive with a wonderful bed.The bathroom had lots of nice towels and great shampoo etc but a faulty toilet. The toilet flooded twice!!!!! I had to call a man to unplug it(very embarrassing) The room was too hot and the windows did not open. There is no minibar but a fridge and a nice coffee maker. Because my husband was in conference all day I was looking forward to a spa day but the spa never answered the phone!!!!! When I finally got through I left a message. They did not call back. If you do not gamble there is nothing to do... There is no shopping. I do not enjoy Vegas much either but the hotels all have great stores. This place did not.The Curve Lounge was nice with good service but I think $ 15.00 for a glass of wine is too steep. I will never go back to The River Rock

6 Thank Kate C
Roland M, General Manager at River Rock Casino Resort, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Dear Kate C,

Thank you for writing to us about your experience. I am happy to hear that our staff were helpful and terrific during your time with us.

I am sorry that you had issues with the toilet. Unfortunately if previous guests have caused clogging, all we can do it come and assist you to unclog it. I have forwarded on your comments to our spa manager who will be addressing this issue with their team. I am very sorry about your experience with them. Our Concierge would have also been more than happy to connect you with the Absolute Spa team as it is not acceptable that they were not answering or connecting with you.
The Canada Line rapid transit brings you right downtown to all the shopping districts within 18 minutes or to the Richmond mall in 5 minutes. I know we do not have a shopping Mall but those are great options and the Concierge is more than happy to give you maps and directions so you can enjoy your time with us.
I appreciate your feedback and look forward to having you stay with us again.

North Vancouver
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Recently enjoyed a nice two day stay at this hotel near Vancouver airport while attending a conference at the River Rock casino/conference centre. I was pleasantly surprised that this hotel is so sound proof that I didn't hear any noise from the nearby YVR airport (despite some flights overhead) or the local public "Canada Line" rapid transit that quite literally comes to the hotel.

Rooms were spacious, comfortable and state of the art. For example...the lights go on in the room only when you insert your room "key" into a slot in the room. Large wall mounted flat screen TV was in place - great to watch Canucks hockey one night - but channels were mostly sports and business related it seemed. Amenities were good for the most part, the clock radio included a slot for iPod/iPhone to play your own music. What was lacking was useful info that one normally finds in a hotel. Only a local mag for Luxury shopping/life but nothing to provide a tourist with any helpful info. Maybe a purposeful strategy to keep people at the hotel/casino? I couldn't find a pen and paper or any info about room service. So I went to the icasino food fair for takeout to my toom. Not my first choice.... Maybe it was an oversight in my room only and the info was simply missing? One thing I didn't think much of was the coffee maker with its capsule coffee design. I tried to follow the picture only instructions but found that the coffee capsule just fell through the machine ....it must have been broken - so no morning coffee for me. I didn't bother to ask for assistance which would have come I am sure....but was frustrated and couldn't be bothered to complain at that time. It wasn't a big deal as my conference had early breakfast with coffee...but if I wasn't at the conference it would have been more frustrating.

The bathroom was modern and had a lit magnifying mirror...a real test of a thoughtful hotel in my books.. and the grapefruit scented amenities were great. Grab bars in bath and shower were nice ...but they were smooth without any grip so when I took hold my hand slipped. Not what I expected.

The resort in total was very nice, clean, with staff that were the genuine article in terms of providing hospitality.

I would definitely recommend the River Rock for a meeting or conference or a quick lay over when traveling via YVR. However, I am not sure it would be in my top places to stay if I was a visitor coming to see the city on a holiday. But perhaps if I was a gambler on holiday it would be ideal.

Room Tip: Try for a peek a boo view of the river and front of River Rock casino building..up high in the tower...
Dear Intheknow2,

Thank you for your kind review from your recent stay with us! I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your conference and experience.
When you first check in, each guest recieves an information sheet regarding how to use all the amenities and information about the rooms. This ouitlines our TV based In-Suite service, Light information, Coffee machine instructions etc. I apologise if you did not receive this but any of our Front Desk/ Concierge staff would be happy to help you with any of your queries and provide you with the information youneed.

We hope to have you stay with us again soon.

Kind Regards,
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stay at the River Rock at least once a year and are never disappointed. The rooms are very nice and the beds are the best I've ever slept in at a hotel. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The casino is always busy and clean.
Some people have commented the hotel is located downtown Vancouver - it is not. It is close to the airport - not downtown Vancouver.
I would never hesitate to recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: They have a new area of the hotel that is across from the lobby/reception; it is nice, but the rooms...
2 Thank Letsgo2014
Roland M, General Manager at River Rock Casino Resort, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Dear Nachosmom1,

It is fantastic that you are your family are return guests and consistently enjoy your experience with us. Our Serta Perfect Sleeper beds are definitely one of the most comfortable amenities we have! If you are ever interested, we do sell beds through our resort to guests so you can bring that comfort home.

I really appreciate your patronage and hope to have you again soon.

Kindest Regards,
Medicine Hat, Canada
Reviewed April 14, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is beautiful. Service is fantastic. Location excellent. If I had one complaint it would be the rooms in the new tower have paper thin walls. You can hear everything from the rooms next door and the halls. I slept rather poor. Sad because the beds are perfect. Overall I'd definitely stay again but I'd stay in the older building. Much better sound control.

Stayed April 2012
Dear btlbaby,

I appreciate your feedback regarding the soundproofing in the room you stayed in. Next time, please do not hesitate to call our front desk and they will either stop the noise, or move you rooms if necessary. Our one bedroom and two bedroom suites are a bit bigger in size and may be what you are looking for during your next stay.

It is wonderful to hear that our service was fantastic amd that you loved our Resort! Honest commentary from the guests' perspective is our greatest tool in our pursuit of service excellence.

We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Victoria
Reviewed April 13, 2012

My husband and I each bought a groupon planning to spend 2 nights there but they told us no, it is one groupon per visit so no consecutive stays. We might have outsmarted them if we tried but instead we stayed at various other hotels until the groupons were about to expire.
We used the first groupon last weekend. We were entitled to a standard city view double/king room but because my daughter and grandson came along I worked with the reservation person and with not too much additional cost upgraded to a 2-bedroom suite. We were so pleasantly surprised when we got to the room, it was bright, spacious, clean, new, with hi-tech coffee maker and everything else that a 5-star hotel might provide - designer toiletries, bathrobes, runner on bed. Everyone at the hotel from the check-in staff, room service, housekeeping, casino greeters, were courteous and friendly.
My husband and I went back again this week using our second groupon. The standard room has practically the same amenities that the suite had, and just as clean and new. The only difference was the size but the room was so well laid out we didn't feel cramped at all.
The hotel is joined to the skytrain station by a walkway. We didn't bring our car. A ride on the ferry then the express bus service and we're ready to check in. We hopped on and off the skytrain to Richmond and Downtown, no worries with the Vancouver parking or traffic.
We will definitely go back, and soon I hope.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Linda_C_I_Victoria
Dear Linda_C_I_Victoria,

It is wonderful to see that you were able to stay in both the Resort and The Hotel at River Rock. Both room types have recently upgraded with amenities, furniture & services so I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I will relay your positive feedback regarding our staff being helpful and friendly to our Hotel Manager. The Canada Line is also one of the great perks we are able to benefit from and are glad you didn't have to bring a vehicle! We hope to have you stay with us again soon.

Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed April 9, 2012

My friend and I stayed here after an eventful whirlwind trip to Vancouver island. We thought the room was excellent and well-apppointed. Even the sofa bed was comfortable! It had an in-room expresso maker which was very fancy and which we figured out between the two of us.

Fancy digs. Very busy on a friday night. Obviously popular with the locals because the parking garage was cleared out the following morning when we went to the airport. Staff was polite and helpful.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Roland M, General Manager at River Rock Casino Resort, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Dear JadedJennifer,

I am happy to see you and your friend had a wonderful experience with us during your last stay! The N'espresso maker in each room is a newer amenity for us & makes such wonderful espresso, a definite favourite of mine.
Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have you back again soon.