“Confusing layout, mixed results”

River Rock Casino Resort
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
“Confusing layout, mixed results”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Signage seemed to direct you to the $12 valet parking, since if you didn't take this option, you'd need to go down the street to the free hotel parking that was quite a walk (bring luggage w/wheels!). We walked all lover the place trying to find the reception desk, checked in at the Casino side, but were then sent across the street to a room with the worst view I've ever seen. Industrial, dumpsters, railroad tracks...and the skytrain made noise the entire night, although we didn't hear any of the planes overhead. If you want to visit the buffet, go early and get signed it, it was still an hour wait on wkend. But the food was high-quality and tasty; the selection was limited, but they were above average. If you want the pool, casino, food, you had to cross the street or skybridge to get to it. Pool was filled with children, but large enough to still enjoy, and open until midnight. Appreciated that the casino was smoke-free. Rooms were wonderful; bathroom roomy, beds super-comfortable and you get an espresso machine in-room to use. Coffee shop had stale, tasteless pastries, so maybe go somewhere else for breakfast.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the East tower or you'll be out of range of most of the resort activities.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Roland M, General Manager at River Rock Casino Resort, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Dear KateSeattle_WA,

Thank you for our feedback from your recent stay with us.
Our valet parking attendants will be more than happy to hold your bags in the front while you park your car, alleviating the carrying of suitcases from the parkade. Also, any of our valet, guest services or concierge department (or any other staff for that matter) are more than happy to help you to the front desk or point you in the right direction. We are here to help you. I will pass on your feedback to our pastry chef regarding the pastries at Java Jacks.

We hope to have you stay with us again soon,

Regards,
Roland Monteiro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Jenick44
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Pros:
Close to home
No smoking
All the amenities of a 4 star (minus mini bar)
Great Room Service
On the skytrain
Free Breakfast buffet (vouchers)
Room at the Hotel was nice, bathroom very nice as well
Wonderful staff
Energy Efficient Hotel
Allow Pets

Cons:
Lacking in casual dining options
Not enough selection at bar/restaurant and not all people want to go to a high end restaurant for dinner before the show.
LuLu's needs to be upgraded. It's not a place where you would want to eat.
We went to Curve because it looked nicer but their menu is trying to hard to be fancy when all we are looking for is a burger or something simple and delicious. Very expensive for a small plate of food. Perhaps take after Cactus Club or Earls and add great affordable comfort food.
Pool needs upgrading
Being a Casino destination, there should be a separate adult pool (the pool area is obviously catering to couples with kids). If they want to be more like Vegas this would be an appropriate move.
Should switch to digital from satellite TV

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Jenick44,

Thank you for choosing The River Rock Casino Resort. I will be passing on your feedback regarding out casual dining options to our Executive Chef . Although Lulu's does accomodate the casual diner, it is definitely has more atmosphere in the evenings with our live bands who play nightly. As for Curve, maybe we need to revamp our menu and we will look into this with our management.
Glad you enjoyed our excellent customer service and we hope to have you back again soon

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Purchased a Groupon online and got to experience the new Hotel at River Rock. Experienced friendly and helpful staff, modern rooms with good views, nice amenities (fridge, coffee/expresso machine, wall-mounted flat screen tv, huge floor length mirror and wardrobe, safe, robes), a nice bathroom with great towels and a soft floor rug, but terrible beds and pillows - way too soft. Plus, the heating/cooling system in our room was unable to be controlled manually, which was inconvenient and a little annoying.

Parking is not the best. Free gated parking under the hotel is very limited, and the other free parking across the street is a fair distance away and challenging to find when faced with hotel, casino and theatre guests all competing for the same spots. You also have to walk outside to get to the casino and hotel.

Pool area is fun with a great slide, but hot tub is so small for the number of guests using it. Why would the hotel put in such a small hot tub for the size of the property, and especially now that they've expanded the hotel to accommodate even more guests?

Casino is good with a variety of slot machines and tables, and musical entertainment. And it's nice to be able to stay til the wee hours and then walk back to your room with ease.

Breakfast buffet was also good but on Sunday, brunch starts immediately after breakfast (10:30am) and it's very confusing when staff are trying to prepare for brunch when there are still breakfast guests eating. Staff are taking items away and bringing out new items, and breakfast guests aren't supposed to be eating the brunch items even though all guests end up being mixed up together anyways. Very messy of a situation. Food item selection was good, though, and buffet was reasonably priced.

As a hotel staying guest, staff do require you to bill your room in advance of entering the buffet so you will need to know how much gratuity you wish to leave before knowing what kind of service you receive, or you might want to bring some cash with you to leave at the table when you leave.

Hotel check out is early at 11 am, but if you call down to the front desk or operator, they will allow you to stay until 12 without charge.

Not a perfect stay, but we enjoyed ourselves overall and were happy to try the resort.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ScreamingBanshee
Dear Screaming Banshee,

I am also a big fan of our newly renovated rooms in The Hotel as well ! The Nespresso machines and ipod clocks are such a great addition! We do have numerous parking sites to cater to all of our guests and our free parking by the West Entrance holds over 600 vehicles. Another options if you find the walk a bit too far is to use our valet as they would be happy to park your car for you.
I will pass on your feedback to our Buffet managers about the confusion between breakfast and brunch. They may be able to sort something out so it is not as confusing for guests.
We hope to have you again soon and really appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback!

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed April 1, 2012

enjoyed a night at this lovely property. i liked the circular winding escalator in the lobby. the rooms were very clean, stylish and high-end looking.

the food at the buffet (included in our bed and breakfast package) was very good, including smoked salmon and eggs benedict.

the employees all seem happy to work there. i received a nice package of chocolates/candies from the concierge which was a nice touch.

a very good value considering the b & b package was $139.99 and the breakfast probably would have been about $30 pp if charged separately.

went to see gladys knight perform and was very impressed with her.

i would highly recommend a stay here. we will come again for sure!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Roland M, General Manager at River Rock Casino Resort, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Dear Donnarita1964,

I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and Gladys Knight show this past weekend. We strive to expand our Buffet offerings to meet everyones needs and will pass on the feedback to the management team.
We hope to have you come back and stay again soon

Regards,

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed March 31, 2012

This Hotel is veryy nicely done but only seems to cater to people who are interested in the Casino. The shows would eb a draw but there were none during our stay. The location is quite out of the way if you are wanting to experince all of Vancouver.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear Tod A,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay with us. We most definitely try to cater to all of our guests at River Rock. Other than our casino, we also have a wonderful spa, 3 restaurants, a full amenity gym & show theatre. Continue to check out website for upcoming shows as this Spring Summer is going to be packed full of amazing stars! Also a quick way to get to Vancouver in 16 minutes is The Canada Line skytrain system. It is such a great addition to our Resort. We hope to have you back again soon.

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I stayed at this hotel 2 weeks in a row. 1st time as a couple with 2 other couples for a trip to the casino and 2nd time just Mom and I while we visited a show.

We stayed at the Hotel which is located across the street rather than above the casino. Great rooms! Clean, modern and spacious. We stayed in a modern King room - great technology, your key card activates the power in the room, when you leave the room, all power OFF. Smart energy saver for sure.

For able bodied people the trek to the casino is easy, there is a walking escalator within the skybridge which takes you to the casino. It might be a bit of a hike for some less able. The parking is expensive but I guess that's the same for all of Vancouver. Valet parking is $12. The free parking is in a mult-storey next to the hotel, 1-2 min walk which was not a big deal for us but I can imagine it would be tricky for older folk and possibly a bit confusing.

We had a blast on both trips. No smoke in the casino, how nice is that!? I can't wait for Las Vegas to copy!? There is a live band at the weekends so you can dance the night away if you wish. There is a food fair at one end of the casino but very difficult to find anything that isn't fast food (sushi - california rolls?). Lulu's lounge serves food and drinks, expensive! $15 9oz house wine but great food. The buffet breakfast for $15 is very reasonable, lots of selection for a breakfast and starts the day off right. The view from the breakfast room looks out to water and boats, you can see the mountains in the distance... was lovely but they really need to clean their windows more often, I was surprised that the windows of the hotel in general weren't very clean? Not a biggie but when everywhere was so new and pristine?

Overall a great place to stay with fun things to do.. we drove from Victoria, hit Granville Island for shopping, hit the hotel, watched the show, gambled a little and the next day we hit IKEA before returning home. Was a fun trip but dropped some money, that's for sure :)

Room Tip: All the rooms seem similar to me. We watched the planes go over, extremely close but no noise issue...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear BCGirlie,

I'm glad that you and your mom had a fun time with us during your last trip. Our rooms in The Hotel at River Rock have all the latest technologies and amenities and we are trying to do our part in saving energy where ever we can. Our energy saving cards are one of our newest technology upgrades. It sounds like you also took good advantage of our location and proximity to the skytrain!
I am sorry to hear you had a hard time finding some other Food and Beverage outlets. All of our staff are more than happy to help you find the many different food outlet locations throughout the resort. Our guest services and concierge team are fabulous and are on site 24 hours a day.

Thank you for your extensive review and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon

Vancouver
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I stayed at “the Hotel”

I called to make reservations a few weeks before my stay. I gave them all my info (name, address, credit card, etc.). I called 2 days prior to my stay to confirm my reservation and they said they didn’t have my name or reservation. Luckily I was able to make reservations still.

They were doing construction/repairs outside the room in the morning. There was loud banging and power tools. It woke me up thinking what was going on! Who wants to be woken up like that! There was also a loud buzzing sound when you turned the lamps on.

When I checked out, I was given my bill which was accurate to my knowledge. A few days later, when I checked my credit card statement, I noticed I was charged an extra $150+. I called to inquire and they told me it was the incidental deposit and they rudely insisted it WASN'T charged and it SHOULDN'T be on my credit card. When I told them it’s on my statement and I was looking at it, they said it still shouldn't be but anyways, should be reversed within 2 days. It has been almost 2 weeks and it still hasn’t been reversed.

I was always looking forward to staying at the River Rock Casino Resort, but this was quite a disappointment. The room was nice, but had a few issues. It’s connected to the sky train station so easy access to downtown/airport. But if you are looking for a place to stay with easy access to the airport, I'd choose a different hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kenneth L
Roland M, General Manager at River Rock Casino Resort, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Dear Kay_B842,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience during your stay in The Hotel at River Rock. I apologize for the noise that you were woken up with. We are currently opening a new Chinese Restaurant on the main floor and unfortunately they may have been working that morning. As for the $150 charge to your card, I am wondering if you can contact our Hotel Manager, Udo Schwarze at uschwarze@riverrock.com or 604-247-8901 and we can look into this issue for you. Your feedback is very important to our operation and will be passing it on to the appropriate areas.