“I love this place...”

Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Kelowna, Canada
“I love this place...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

I had a momentary lapse of judgement when I got off the flight at Vancouver and chose to head downtown to a hotel near my client's office. Just a couple of blocks from the Trade and Convention Center, the post meeting crowds were leaving the elevator outside my door at 11 pm with a sound level closing in on a British soccer match. They were international lawyers...go figure. The illuminated sign outside my window had me up 2 or 3 times at night thinking I'd slept into the daylight. The room was tiny, old but cosmetically updated. The stockbrokers caught me stretching in front of the window at 5 AM looking across from thier office tower 20 metres across the street. Breakfast cost me $20. I checked out in the morning with a $200 bill. And that's cheap for downtown Vancouver.

I love the La Quinta! 25 minutes on the Skytrain to Lansdowne shopping mall. A 9 minute walk to the hotel. Bright, new, clean, big rooms, A/C, valuables safe, ironing board, quiet...all for $91 tax in (off season Oct 5 2010)...with breakfast! The hotel is surrounded by Asian restaurants and a 3 minute walk to Landsdowne Mall. Fast (not really fast) internet, cute little pool and human soup bowl (I'm not a fan of public hot tubs), business center, everything you need, including a shuttle to the airport.

With the billions of $$ spent on Skytrain, I don't know why businesses and business people have to spend downtown prices for hotels. Sure government spend pigs don't see the logic in saving a few bucks but as a private business man I do what I can to save my clients a few dollars.

I've stayed at the La Quinta with my family...including our black labrador retriever and I have never been disappointed. I've just now signed up for their frequent visitor program.

Downside? Summer can find bus loads of Asian tourists at the hotel so you can generally write off breakfast as you could lose an arm in the feeding frenzy. Parking can be tight if you drive in.

I like value in hotels. Cheap is good so long as it has everything you need in a clean, quiet, tidy package. The La Quinta should be more expensive. Just don't tell them that.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank geoqwest

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Prince Rupert, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2010

I love this hotel. Its so simple, but yet so elegant. Best bang for the buck. Front desk is ALWAYS polite, and rooms are always super clean. Highly recommended. Love the paint scheme. Bright colours make you feel like you are in tropical paradise.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank mkessler
Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2010

Stayed for 2 nites, the rental car was broken into the first nite in the parking lot on Oct 2nd 2010. The lot is very small & filled up easily thus I was forced to park in the only spot left in the far corner of the lot right besides all the trees. Several people have noted the parking lot size at different travel info websites but I ignored it to my own regret. I incurred a loss of $3500 besides all the running around for filing police report as well as switching car at the airport. Security cam doesn't cover that corner of the parking lot & lighting is very poor. For a hotel like that, it is not even practical to expect any kind of security guard, for the lot as well as the premises. In hindsight, it is better to pay a bit extra to go to 4 Points Sheraton next door ( & much safer too ). Certain front end staff is a bit shaky as noted by other contributors here. I also didn't get the room I requested on booking.

P.S. Nothing was left in plain view inside the vehicle.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank SNGCalgary
Cromwell, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2010

We stayed 092610 and 092710. I had some trepidation about the location near the Vancouver airport. And the airplanes coming and going did bother some but we rested pretty well. Best I can remember heard some up to about 11pm, and early somewhere around 5am. Otherwise a nice LaQuinta at a good price. The continental breakfast area is a bit more crowded than usual. A big plus is the indoor pool and whirlpool - excellent. Very nice staff.

Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2010

We stayed here because we would leave for Chicago early in the morning. We came from Calgary (by plane). Ariport shuttle was convenient and prompt. Staff was friendly and helpful. Wired internet in the room (which I consider a plus), wunderful bed (pillow was ok), We had to leave at 6 o'clock. But it was no problem to have an early breakfast (which officially starts at six). A lot of Asian shops (and restaurants) in the neighbourhood. Mall, Zellers, Save on food nearby. Within 10 minutes a lot of family diners (eg White spot) as well. Definitely value for money and would stay again. The only drawback was that i heard the elevator noise from my room.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2010

We stayed here on our 1st night after landing. We were very impressed at the value for money. A clean environment. Friendly staff and the airport shuttle was very welcome.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Brussels
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2010

After having stayed at other hotels in Richmond, this one was a very pleasant surprise in terms of price quality (98 CAD+ tax). The hotel is clean and modern with all the amenities one would expect. The bed was first class and we slept very well. I would have given the hotel a five star approval until we went to breakfast. We should have been warned when we saw one guest in the lift bringing down his own cutlery. It is not the food, which was quite acceptable except for the synthetic orange juice. The BIG ISSUE we had was with the dishes and utensils - all very much cheap plastic. In this day and age of green consciousness it is unbelievable that a hotel would use a fully disposable set of plastic cutlery and dishes not at all bio-degradable. It just gives the client the wrong image and certainly tainted our view of this chain. This "all plastic" policy is a mistake and its management should do their sums again on its cost/benefit if it has such a turn-off with customers which it will certainly do as we all become more aware of the environment and the resources we waste and unhealthy refuse we create with disposable plastics.

Lets hope common sense prevails and there is a turnaround in this policy.