“Modern, clean and close to restaurants”

La Quinta Inn Vancouver Airport
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Modern, clean and close to restaurants”
Reviewed July 17, 2007

We booked our stay in the La Quinta Inn via Expedia as we wanted somewhere reasonably priced and within easy reach of Vancouver International Airport and restaurants.

The hotel is located in Richmond, a couple of miles to the east of the airport. However, the free shuttle service from the airport worked fine - it just took one phone call from the phone at the pick-up point at the airport.

The hotel itself is modern and clean. The staff on reception were friendly and helpful and proved able to provide lots of information on restaurants and buses, etc.

The room was clean and well-equipped. The hotel itself even has a small indoor pool but we did not have time to use it.

Breakfast is self-service and includes the opportunity to make your own waffles. There is no restaurant in the hotel but there are numerous restaurants nearby within walking distance. We dined in a Mongolian restaurant and had an excellent meal. You are also about 5 minutes walk from the Lansdowne Centre shopping mall.

Overall, we were highly satisfied with our brief stay and would not hesitate to stay at the hotel again.

• Liked — Modern, clean, reasonably priced, good location
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank smithcn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
canada
Reviewed July 10, 2007

This Inn apparently never takes its customers seriously. Two weeks before my arrival in Vancouver, I have sent two separate emails of enquiry about services and prices directly to the Customer Centre of La Quinta Inn. They never respond. That's very poor service by all standards.

Stayed July 2007
3 Thank lcbb
Georgia
Reviewed January 30, 2007

The service was great! 2 women taught everyone how to use the waffle iron. Delicious waffles!

The only thing lacking was that our room leaked. Maybe it was the rain, maybe it was the heating/AC unit. It soaked part of the carpet and some clothes I left on the floor.

The hotel is really new so the bathroom was nice. The wall of the shower was marble.

Stayed January 2007
3 Thank florencye
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed December 2, 2006

My stay at La Quinta with my dog was without any problems, except various websites have a shuttle to the airport leaving "24 hours", "4:00am-midnight" etc. I chose this hotel for two reasons, no pet fee and early shuttle. I had to be the airport at 5:00 a.m and was told when I checked in that the shuttle didn't leave until 6:00 a.m. So if you have an early flight, check with the hotel directly about shuttle times.

• Liked — Central
  • Disliked — Somewhat dated
  • Tips/Secrets — Check shuttle times with hotel
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
3 Thank bajacondo
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed September 28, 2006

Stayed on 09/24/06-in a PRE-BOOKED room thru HOTELS.COM. Requested an early check-in and we were assigned a NICE, CLEAN room at 1-pm...Desk Clerk, and David-In-Training were helpful, and polite. After moving our luggage into our room, I went back to my car and returned with my 15lb.dog, I could tell there was a problem. No one stoped me from going to my room on the second floor though..Instead, they called me (or should I say, they had David-In-Training call me) and ask me if I had made previous arrangements to bring the dog. I told them, "This is why I picked your hotel!"..."OH, I SEE" and an I'll call you back...He called back and did his best to tell me and my two guests that we shouldn't use the room we were in, that they were preparing the "DOGGIE" room asap. YET Another call told us that it would be awhile. OK, we waited like soldiers sitting on the bed's edge for 20min. longer afraid to mess anything up.....Another call by David-In-Training with the news that we would have to leave the NICE room and come back in ONE HOUR to the "Doggie" room...The maid was on lunch ...We could either leave our luggage in their locked room or David would take it to our car. If I wasn't so tired, I would have gone to another hotel..We took a vote and left the luggage in the locked room and tryed to go shopping. Instead, we got lost in Richmond..(the streets are very confusing!)...When we returned, we were given a room on the 5th floor that smelled like cigarettes (we had requested a non-smoking room) and this room had spotted carpet, and dirty walls, molding that was not completed, big hunks of calking around the sink and bath fixtures to keep the water out, tiles missing, and our room was the last room near the stair exit....
At this point we were so tired from disembarking on the ship and getting lost in Richmond that we took it without complaint. WAIT< THERE IS MORE!
The room only had one king size bed for three people..We were two adult women and one teen-age boy..I quickly said, NOT!..They gave us a roll-away cot for my son..This room had a nice desk for my son to do his homework but no cable connection to the internet. We had to reserve the ethernet cable and got it later that night when everyone else was sleeping!...He was up till mid-nite doing his homework!!!!...The remote control didn't work because the batteries were dead and they brought us a new set along with some face clothes..(we only had one face clothe to share!!)...I would not stay here again. BEWARE: If you have a pet, you will be put on the 5th floor and it stinks up there!...Hotels.com did NOT tell them we had a dog so be sure when you book with them that you follow-up with the hotel before arriving....The parking lot and garden area is beautiful and it's close to Asian stores..We ate at Pho-Hoes and it was not as good as the other Pho-Hoes we've been to....Pizza Hut was a discusting, too! We didn't have a good meal in Richmond...With so many to pick from, Best of Luck to you! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

• Liked — Free breakfast in the morning...
  • Disliked — Lack of communication with Hotels.com. Did not accomodate us as promised upon reservation!
  • Tips/Secrets — Find another hotel that accepts dogs, and early check-ins..Like Richmond Best Western @ the airport.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Livin'in'America!
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed September 22, 2006

I stayed at this hotel with my spouse and our eight-year-old son for three nights in September 2006. We chose La Quinta because of its reasonable rates, free parking, free breakfast, and swimming pool. We were completely satisfied with our stay, and would happily stay there again.

PROS:
- very clean, comfortable rooms with enough space for the three of us and all our luggage
- free parking
- free breakfast. For the three mornings we were there, the breakfast buffet had waffles, two types of bread for toasting, three types of muffins, three types of breakfast cereal, two types of fresh fruit, good coffee, tea, OJ, apple juice, and milk. No bagels or yogurt. Breakfast finishes at 9 am on weekdays, so if you're there on vacation, as we were, you must remember not to dawdle.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT:
- the pool is very, very small. Too small to really swim in - maybe three strokes would get you from end to end. It's more of a splash pool for children, I think, although its maximum depth is around 5 feet, I think. The whirlpool is nice, though.
- the breakfast buffet could offer a bit more variety, instead of all starchy food. Quite good coffee, though, and the lady who looks after the buffet is a gem!
- the hotel is near the flight path for the airport, and it can be a bit nosiy when a 747 is coming in for a landing. It didn't bother us, but if you're a light sleeper, consider bringing earplugs.

This hotel is in north Richmond, so we found that it was quite easy to get into Vancouver. There's a mall within walking distance, and several grocery stores within a mile or so. We enjoyed true Montreal smoked meat sandwiches at Rooster's Quarters restaurant, which is about a ten-minute walk away.

Stayed September 2006
1 Thank KGill
san jose ca
Reviewed June 28, 2006

The LQ in Richmond, BC, Canada was pretty much your standard LQ Inn. The hotel was very well maintained, looked and felt brand new, was very inviting and spacious, airy, clean and comfortable, offering an extensive continental breakfast (fresh pancakes, etc.), pool, spa, exercise gym, and laundry facilities (which came in very handy after a long roadtrip from CA to Canada) and free high-speed internet access through a computer in the lobby where you can also print (handy for directions, etc.) Also, like all LQ's, the hotel was dog friendly and allowed my dog at no extra charge.
Restaurants and stores that are walking distance and near the hotel are mostly asian, predominantly chinese, like the whole entire town of Richmond. The restaurants open late and close real early in the morning, get ready for the Hot Pots (you'll know what I mean when you get there). Vancouver is like a 15 minute drive from here to downtown Vancouver, so you'll definitely need transportation.
I had no problems at this LQ like all the other reviewers seemed to have had. My room was big and nice and warm and cozy and the staff was very helpful and courteous. You can't beat all the amenities you will get at their low and affordable rates, from $65-100. I recommend this place for the budget traveler and those who travel with their pet.
Be sure to enroll in the Rewards program that gives you points every time you stay at a La Quinta Inn. Enrollment is free and the points you get add up and can go towards prizes that cost certain points depending on what the prize is.
Try LQ once and you will probably never stay at another Inn. I've stayed at Marriots and Best Westerns before, and I still prefer and enjoy LQ over any other hotel. LQ just has this "inn" and "bed and breakfast" warm feel to it that large hotels and chain motels can't give you. Try LQ and you'll wonder why you never stayed here before, if they had an LQ at every location, I wouldn't stay at any other place. Book your stay here now and you won't have to worry about arriving to a hotel and have it not fit any of your needs, LQ will surpass all your expectations!

• Stayed November 2005