“Okanagan Valley”

Vino Volo
Ranked #51 of 956 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: International
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Never felt sooooo goooood killing time in an airport, than I did sipping a couple of glasses of Okanagan Valley, Chardonnay from Sperling Vineyards.
Had a bit to eat, too - BC salmon, cream cheese and awesome capers - just perfect!

Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

While making plans for our upcoming flight I decided to google what the airport had to offer after going through security. As I have tried the Vino Volo at other airports I knew they had a nice olive selection. When I went by I saw the server was seating a couple so decided to make my other purchases and come back. After 20 min. I came back and asked the waitress to place an order to wich she replied that they were just opening and that all food orders would be at least 20 minutes. I replied that I would just like a couple orders of olives to wich she very curtly replied that it would still be 20 min. She still only had the 1 couple (who by now were almost finished) and would only have needed to pour the already made olives into a container. She seemed to have a very bad attitude or perhaps really dislikes her line of work. Avoid this establishment if you don't want to leave a bad taste in your mouth prior to your holiday.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Great concept with the Wine Flights and descriptors provided. Started with some bubbly Prosecco then the Malbec flight for me and my friend went for the Big Californian's. Enjoyed a nice salad to compliment the wine ... An amazing way too kill time before an International Flight. I guess getting in is tough without a distant destination booked? Best foodie experience I have enjoyed in an Airport atmosphere!

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Either waiting for an International arrival or catching an International flight relaxing having a glass of wine makes the wait much more relaxed and enjoyable. We have been to both locations; staff is always friendly and informative. One can have a full glass or have a flight of three. Detailed information is provided for each wine. We have tried three flights: World Reds, wines from - Argentina, Chile, and Italy, Whites of Spring which include - wines from B.C. , BC Nights which include wines from the Okanagan. All the wines are terrific. The location outside arrivals has a limited menu, but the inside location carries a much larger selection. The small plate snacks complement the wine. Try the rosemary-roasted marcona almonds, the cheese plate or the salmon ...all excellent. Picking up someone sit in a more comfortable location and have a glass. The arrivals display is visible from the location. Near gate 83 waiting for your flight distress with a glass of wine! WIFI and plugs available.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Our cruise was over, and they get you off those ships fast! Before we knew it, we were on a bus from Canada Place in Vancouver, BC on our way to YVR, Vancouver International Airport in Richmond, BC.

We had about 6 hours to kill, hundreds of photos to organize, laptop batteries to deplete. And there is no Delta SkyClub at this airport, anymore. Oh, what to do :-(

First a quick word at YVR - the nicest international airport I've been in! Great art, plenty of power outlets, restaurants. We spent a few hours in the entrance lobby because we couldn't check our luggage until 3 hours before the flight. We managed, and I enjoyed the great art installations, while tweeting with the airport @yvrairport , who gave tips on the great art around the airport.

We spotted Vino Volo in the International Arrivals area. Vino Volo literally means Wine Flight in Italian. This brilliant concept is now in 25 locations in 18 (or more) airports. List of locations here: http://www.vinovolo.com/#locations There are two locations at YVR, by the way, Transborder, Concourse E - Gate 83 and Pre-Security, International Arrivals, Level 2 (we were heading back to the USA)

There were power outlets everywhere. Free Wifi. A spacious layout. The menu looked appealing as did the wine flights. Hubby and I took out our laptops, phones and all devices and plugged in.

We wanted a flight of wines, plus a salad. They were already out of the salads (at about 1p.m.), but I had a lovely smoked salmon baguette plate, with pickled caperberries, and a few attractive greens. It was delicious, if a little expensive ($16). Why not have smoked salmon *one more time* after a 7 day Alaskan cruise, I reckoned. Hubby had a sandwich, a half sandwich, actually, and it was also good. All the plates come half -size or whole, a nice touch. Menu items range from $5 to about $15.

I was just enchanted by the coasters with a "wine graph" of fruit and complexity on them, with the website vinovolo.com repeated on the reverse. The flight of three wines with 2 ounce "generous looking" pours sit on a trio of "coasters" perforated to be used as single coasters. You can see these in my photos below. It's a smart concept and a brilliant use of graphics on an everyday item found in any bar or restaurant. Of course, I took them home and am using them to write my review.

We selected World Value Reds - (from Italy, Argentina, Spain) and Rose Revival (from France, Italy and British Columbia) and then we each had a glass of our favorites from the flight. The tastings were in the $9-$12 range, the glasses maybe a little higher.

I definitely suggest seeing if your airport has a Vino Volo, especially if you don't already have an frequent flyer "club" to hang out in, and you don't mind spending a little more than the fast food type places. You are probably just beginning or ending a journey if you are in an airport, why not make it part of the journey, not the pain it sometimes seems.Vino Volo is a great place to plug in and chill out.