“It's so beautiful working out is fun!”

Richmond Olympic Oval
Ranked #12 of 108 things to do in Richmond
Vancouver, Canada
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“It's so beautiful working out is fun!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I've had a membership here since it opened because I need lots of motivation to exercise and the Oval delivers big time! From the workout area you can see clear to the Fraser River and also watch all the activities on the gym floor and ice rinks. I even got to watch the Olympic speed skaters practice when it first opened.

1 Thank bollucks

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“its a good place to play”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I have always wanted to check this out since it was built. The ladies at the front desk were really nice and sweet. Good impression. This place is overwhelming if u don't know where to go. But i love community gyms because they are usually open spaces. I get claustrophobic when i work out. So the gym is on the 3rd level but lockers on first. And they provide locks for u. The cardio machines face the basketball courts and hockey rink. So it gives u something to look at while running or what not. THe weight lift area was alright and enough room to have personal space. The only thing is that the benches weren't bolted down. And the hard wood floors are some what slippery so maybe a few sticky mats would be helpful so your feet don't slip underneath you on the smith machine. had a great workout here.
The parking was suppose to be Dollar an hr but i was here on Saturday and i was longer...so who knows. But as for a drop in price $16. So thats a good price because u actually get a day pass and come in and out. If i was to do drop ins at another gym i know its more. So..Its too rich for my blood. But out of any gyms in Richmond i would definitely get a yearly pass. I just wished the running track was a tad bigger.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Isacameth
Courtenay, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Versatile venue”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Six events in there the day we went. It is an incredible place. They had hockey, basketball, karate, volleyball, climbing and a gym!

1 Thank Michelle T
Calgary, Canada
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Impressive facilities”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Attended an event here. Great facilities and will host a large amounts of people. Good location. Impressive modern facility.

Lynnwood, WA
250 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 271 helpful votes
“Beautiful and impressive--bring your own skates”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The facility itself, based on appearance and scale, merits a 5. We stopped by ROO on our way out of Vancouver after spending a long weekend in town, as we wanted to skate in this amazing Olympic venue.

First, the building: it is huge, with two full-sized ice rinks which cover maybe 1/3 of the floor space in the main area. The laminated wooden beams stretching across the ceiling are beautiful and striking: the architecture of the place is truly special.

Our ice skating experience was less than perfect, however. I learned to skate at local arena in the Seattle area using figure skates. Apparently in Canada, or at least at the ROO, guys are expected to only use hockey skates, or have their own pair. The largest figure skates they had were a size 10, too small for me, and the hockey skates I was offered were extremely uncomfortable. I'm used to wearing skates, and the very snug fits you get in them, but laced up, the skates I was given caused physical pain just having them on. I put on some foam pads that my wife had in her skating bag to protect the spots that were in most pain, which helped. But I was uncomfortable enough to cut short the session.

The other negative was the price of the whole experience. Admission to the facility (including all of the sport courts, climbing wall, fitness equipment, table tennis area, etc. cost us CA $50, and that was only for two rentals (my wife had her own skates)! That's a pretty pricey couple of hours.

I feels like they are still figuring out how to market this facility to the region and find the right way to get families involved in it.

Visited April 2013