“Humiliating treatment. Extremely unpleasant experience.”

Quality Hotel Airport South
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Richmond, Canada
“Humiliating treatment. Extremely unpleasant experience.”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

To call my stay at the Quality Hotel in Richmond one of my worst travel experiences is, in itself, an understatement.

On the (Sunday) morning when I was almost ready to check out, at 11:20am I received a call from the front desk, a rather rude sounding individual who identified himself as the manager said that it was 20 minutes past the check out time & that the next guest was waiting for the room. I apologized & said I would be out of the room in 20 minutes & that I just needed to grab a quick shower. Then this manager told me that I had had a second person stay with me in the room, a woman who he had seen me with on camera in the hotel & that I should have been charged an additional $10 for this.

I was shocked by this accusation (which is false) to which he kept repeating the same thing over & over. When I finally went down to check out I tried to discuss this with the manager & rather than offering to take me aside to discuss this matter privately, in full view of other guests & staff he humiliated me, once again, with this groundless accusation. Later on when I said that I was going to write a review of my experience this manager said he would post on the internet the video that shows me with this woman. I also asked him to see the video (which I knew either did not exist or else would show me alone) which he refused to do, stating instead that he was going to show other people, just not me.

At present the manager of customer service with Choice Hotels in Canada (the franchisor) is conducting an inquiry into what went on & I have expressly asked this person to request that he be allowed to see this video & that I would like to see it too. For 100% certain it will not show me with some other woman. I am a very private person in public & I typically do not converse with strangers unless there is a reason to do so.

I am also a very truthful person & I found the actions of this (hotel) manager to be abusive & downright reprehensible, in fact I question what was going on in his head that could have caused him to act in this manner.

And one thing is for certain, I will never stay at this hotel again & I would never recommend that anyone else stay here either. I am also concerned about the statement issued by several representatives with Choice Hotels who told me (a) their policy is to remain neutral in events such as this & (b) the franchisee is also their customer - which I equate to so much for looking out for my interests which I perceive is secondary to who they view as their true customer, the franchisee & not me.

Once I am told of the outcome of this inquiry by the customer service manager for Choice Hotels I will follow up here with the pertinent information.

Room Tip: Based on my experience (personally) I would choose a different hotel, any hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank SteveBC88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed here unexpectedly. The staff were wonderful and friendly. Great breakfast every morning. Perfect home away from home. Close to everything you need. Lovely Greek restaurant right next door. The "Mad Greek". Nice park steps from the back of the hotel. An oasis in the middle of the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the park. Lovely park behind hotel with the cutest bunnies everywhere.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Gillian729
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We stayed there for 4 nights as our pre-cruise to Alaska recently. We hadn't stayed at hotels for years so was a little apprehensive about it. We're used to timeshare condos that has all the amenities, space and views. Well, needless to say, this is just a hotel. It is in Richmond, very close to the airport. We called the hotel upon arrival and the shuttle was there less than 20 minutes. Only a short ride we arrived at the hotel. Check-in was super fast. Security is tight as you need a valid room key to access the elevator. Our room faced the street, though I wished that it faced the park, which I will get to in a minute. I thought the noise would be bad from the street, but no, we didn't hear any noises. It was rather quiet. And, it was, surprisingly, a nice view to look onto, perhaps it's the greens throughout the city. We had a double queen for our family of four. My first impression is clean and tidy and comfortable. The beds were firm and pillows were fluffy. All of us slept well through our entire stay. The bathroom is rather big with a nice counter. I found coffee maker in the bathroom rather odd... but I later found out, it seems to be a norm here (same as the hotel we stayed at in Seattle). The staff is attentive. When I found out that I'd forgotten to bring our phone charger, the hotel manager let us go through a box-full of chargers that the guests had left behind. We didn't find one that fit so he let us borrowed one of his staff's. I thought that was really nice of him. The continental breakfast, is something to be said, it's wonderful. There were not un-healthy stuff like donuts (though I would love it if they did) but it was good that they provided all the healthy breakfast items, including make-you-own Belgium waffles. There were the same every morning. There were hard-boiled eggs, a varieties of bread, muffins, cereals, milk, OJ, AJ, bananas, etc. We really liked the breakfast. And, they were included in the hotel price, not to mention! The two staff who worked diligently to re-filled drinks, food, clean the counters, tables so that guests can sit down.
Here's the nicest part, it sits next to a very big park that the entrance is through the backdoor of the hotel. There was a huge pond with ducklings, all sorts of birds, and critters. Love to stroll through the willow-filled park that are accented by countless colors of flowers... must stroll through if you have some time!
So, I was a little disappointed that they didn't have on-site laundromat or a swimming pool, but, hey, this is not a 5-star or 4-star hotel. We were pleasantly surprised at how peaceful and quiet this hotel is considering how many guests they have on-site all the time.
We also walked to the Richmond Center (a shopping mall) and SkyTrain everyday. Lots of Chinese restaurants with good prices and huge portions. Next to the Staples has this tiny little Japanese restaurant serves up the freshest sushi there is! Explore the area and you'll find lots to do if you happen to have time to kill.

Room Tip: Ask for park-view rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank FunJourney
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I gave this hotel three stars, not because there is anything wrong with it but be because it would be wrong to give the impression that it is a "5 star" hotel. We used this as a stopover for one night after a flight from UK and it was perfect for this use and very good value. Rooms were well equipped, very clean and had everything we could want. There is no restaurant but plenty of eateries on the road that the hotel sits on. The Richmond Mall is about two minutes walk down the road offering plenty of shopping, coffee and cheap eat opportunities.
A basic but perfectly good continental breakfast is provided buffet style adjacent to reception and is included in the room rate as is a constant supply of coffee.
So it does everything it says on the tin and we would definitely use it again.
In terms of one or two comments on the shuttle from the airport. On arrival make sure you phone them from the courtesy phone located at the shuttle stop and then they send it fairly quickly if its not already scheduled. Regular free shuttles leave from the hotel to the airport on the hour and it took about 15 minutes.

Room Tip: Ask for room at the back if road noise bothers you
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John F
vancouver
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I stay here a few times a year for several years now and found it to be good. I will probably stay again if I get a good price - it's just so convenient to get to from YVR and especially from South Terminal. A few downsides...

Shuttle service from airport works okay, though you may have a wait a little when it's busy. They used to have a really great guy running the shuttle, but current one does not do a good job and drives like a maniac. I also sat waiting for my scheduled ride back to airport but the driver was busy doing other stuff so was about 5 minutes delayed. He shouldn't be involved with customer service - didn't smile, nor help with bags, didn't even open the door. With above in mind I suggest using taxi. It's a short ride from airport.

Front desk customer service hasn't been too bad, but could improve. I have a hard time getting a smile out of anyone, I'm guessing they work they because they have to - not want to. Sometimes it's good though, so I suspect it depends on who is working.

Scent of cleanser used in the hotel was a bit strong the first time I went. I believe it is common for Choice Hotel chain, but I'd like to see that change because it can be a bit overpowering. Hope brand management can fix this :)

Breakfast, self serve, is fine - cereal, boiled eggs, toaster waffles, yogurt, fruit, tea/coffee/juice. Always good enough for me.

Summary: motivate the staff, slow them down to enjoy customers, use a better deodoriser.

Room Tip: Request a rear-facing room that overlooks a beautiful park. Street side rooms can be noisy, but it...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank tymitche
Whistler, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Very cheap good hotel close to the airport, have stayed many times when flying from YVR. After trying most of the hotels closely with a free airport shuttle thesis now my stay of choice.
Breakfast is ok, the usual basic fare.

Rooms are clean and comfortable enough. Alarm clocks are difficult to set I usually bring my own. Airport shuttle is reliable and quick.

Best to get a room on the back, as there can be a little road noise on the front at times.

Room Tip: Get room other the back, it's quieter and has a surprisingly nice view in the morning
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank PlasticSack
Fort Erie, Ontario
Reviewed February 15, 2012

I've stayed here a few times because of location to family and cost. This hotel is extremely reasonable, but be prepared to pay up front. They won't just take your credit card info, they charge your stay on upon arrival. I found that very odd. The rooms and beds are just okay, starting to get a bit worn, but quite functional. The windows do open, a huge bonus for me. If you stay on the backside of the tiny property, it backs right onto Minoru Park, a beautiful oasis in busy downtown Richmond. It's also 2 blocks from the busiest shopping mall and right smack in the middle of the business area in town. Location to the airport is 10 minutes or so, and they will you shuttle to & from. The included breakfast is pretty good! You can actually make your own Belgian waffles on the iron. The price is definitely right, and is way cheaper during the week. I paid in Jan/Feb/12 from $59.99-$99.99 per night. The pictures that are shown on this site are accurate.

Room Tip: Ask to be at the back of the hotel so you can see the park, and the quiet room with the long hallway...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family