Sandman Signature Vancouver Airport Hotel & Resort
Ranked #22 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed August 27, 2010

Reasonably priced, and conveniently located close to the Vancouver airport. Stayed here for only one night, and the place did not make a great lasting impression. The lobby feels cavernous and lacks charm and warmth. The view was dreadful, and we were not able to connect to a supposedly free internet; in spite of the valiant effort on the part of the staff. We had both dinner(dreadful) and breakfast(ok) at Denny's located next door. Give yourself enough time when leaving as the shuttle was late. If we would not take a taxi we would have missed our international flight. We also waited a long time for the shuttle to be picked up from the airport.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed August 15, 2010

Stayed during the Olympics. My original hotel was oversold, and Expedia ended-up putting me here. I was on the top floor, with a nice view south, and a rather large, well appointed room. The hotel was very buys, with international travellers, TV crews, etc. in for the Olympics. Staff were always smiling and quick to help with anything.

I didn't have any issues during my 2 night stay.

I enjoyed having a balcony, as I like to have an evening smoke, and the weather was accomodating for that, while I was there.

I was pleasantly surprised by how "deluxe" this hotel was. With it being associated with Sandman, I wasn't expecting too much, but it has a nice pool area, a tennis dome, nice steak house restaurant, large sports bar nearby, etc. I initially thought "resort" was going a bit too far, but after my stay I felt it was pretty much a resort feel after all.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank BigTipper
Reviewed August 10, 2010

We stayed here for one night in early August before catching a morning flight home.
When we checked in the lobby was large and well decorated. We didn't have to wait to check in, but during check in the girl who was checking us in seemed preoccupied with something else and eventually passed us off to another gentleman who completed our check in. Not a huge deal but it didn't seem real professional. There was a kiosk in the lobby where you can print off your boarding passes for the airport which was handy.
Because there were five of us I reserved the family package which is supposed to be 2 adjoining rooms. The rooms did have their own foyer in the hotel hallway that you could block off by closing the hall doors (which were keyed to your room), but the rooms did not adjoin, nor were they keyed with the same card to get in. I called the front desk to ask if they had anything that actually adjoined but they didn't. They said they would send up some beanbags to hold the room doors open so we wouldn't feel so separated. They never did follow up and provide these.
The rooms were spacious and comfortable and had a balcony that you could sit outside if you wanted. The one thing I didn't like, and didn't use was the in room coffee maker. For some reason they thought it was a good idea to put this in the bathroom on the counter by the toilet. I decided I would pass on that and hit a Starbucks at the airport instead.
The hotel did have a swimming pool which we thought the kids might use. We went to see it and it didn't look that great so we decided not to. It was indoors, but you had to walk outside to get to it. It was pretty small.
My rate was $315.20 ($364.06 with tax) for the family package. Knowing what I know now I'm sure I would have been better off to reserve two individual rooms since our rooms weren't connected anyhow.
Overall this hotel suited our needs for one night before our trip home.
I would likely stay here again, but would likely book individual rooms instead of the family package.
LIKED: spacious, comfortable rooms
DISLIKED: coffee maker in bathroom & service

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank RKKJ
Reviewed August 3, 2010

We travel a lot, and normally are pretty sympathetic towards stressed-out hotel staff, especially on long weekends. However, our experience at this hotel was unbelievable. Long wait times (to check in and out) aside, having the service staff glare at you and give one word answers, answer a phone call while "servicing" you, then making you wait in line when you've returned to let them know that your key is not activated (all the time watching you in the line while helping others and shouting out "are you checking out now?" from across the room). On top of that, after extending our checkout time, we were greeted with "you are still here?!" when trying to check out at the front desk, audible enough for the entire lobby to hear. Upon pointing out that we had extended our checkout time, we just received an "oh. Here is a copy of your receipt". Wow.

The hotel lobby itself is beautiful, and they have done a great job renovating the interior. The rooms were average - they do not vaccuum on a regular basis, and our garbage bins already had some garbage in it when we first entered the room. A car is recommended if you stay at this hotel, as the local transit is not as easily accessible.

Overall, not the best experience, and it wasn't even that great a value for a hotel this class.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tourist008
Reviewed August 2, 2010

We stayed here for one night at the beginning of august. As an airport hotel for a night, this place is decent. The decor of the lobby is very nice and modern and looks like a 4 or 5 star hotel. The room was also decorated nicely with a nice colour scheme in the washroom. We had a room with a king bed and there was an ample spaced sitting area with a small balcony. We had a nice high room on the 17th floor. It was nice.

However, upon staying, you can see why it's only billed as a 3 star property. For instance, we had to try several times before we are able to get a hold of the front desk from the room because the line would either cut off or keep on ringing with no answer. Also, the AC in the room was really loud when it was on (so loud it drowned out the tv). We didn't want to switch rooms at 11pm and tried to solve this by turning it off and sleeping with the balcony door open, but the noise from the highway was bothersome as well. Luckily I remembered I had earplugs in my purse and that solved the problem. Also, there were limited amenities in the room (ie. no cotton swabs, sewing kit, liquid body wash, minibar, minifridge etc.). There were also no bellmens or doormens (or none that I could find), valet parking, or in-room dining.

So all in all, if you're used to staying in 4-5 star hotels with excellent amenities, a high standard of service, and an overall feeling of luxury, then this is not for you. But if you're used to the best westerns, ramadas, and other sandmans, then this hotel will be more than sufficient! For myself, I was a bit disappointed initially, but after reminding myself that this IS a sandman hotel for a price of $89 (rather than a $300 luxury downtown hotel), all was forgiven and I walked away thinking I got a pretty good deal.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sweet_kiwi
Reviewed August 2, 2010

We stayed at the Sandman Signature for 5 nights with our extended family, as we were all there for a wedding. The hotel is quite nice, but I was very disappointed with the service. On the second last morning, I went to plug in my flatiron, only to find it was not where I left it. Apparently, the housekeeper who last handled it wrapped it up tightly and stowed it away with the hairdryer under the bathroom sink. After frantically looking for it, I went to plug it in, and it didn't work anymore. I immediately talked to the duty manager, who told me their housekeeping staff are not allowed to put anything out of sight and an "investigation" would be conducted. It has been 3 weeks since I last spoke to anyone. Even after sending emails and leaving phone messages for the hotel manager, and calling the Sandman head office, I have yet to hear a reply from anyone. What's the point of leaving a personalized message at check out to contact the hotel manager if you have any concerns, if he has no decency to even reply? I have never had this type of experience at any hotel before.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank borntotravel17
Reviewed August 1, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for one night prior to an AM departure from Vancouver Int'l. The lobby and rooms are nicely appointed and comfortable, but.... first, it took ten minutes for the front desk to check in the two guest in line in front of me. I don't understand why this took so long. Second, the high speed internet in the room did not work, except for the wireless, which was completely bogged down because presumably no-one else had working access in their room. Third, there wasn't anywhere to buy milk as the store in the lobby only sold energy drinks, soda and juice. We had to call room service to get a glass of milk for our kid. Worst of all, the AC stopped working in the middle of the night, so we woke up and it was 80+ degrees in the room at 3 AM. Finally, the room has a nice balcony, but as the hotel is located about 50' from the highway, it is extremely loud. Adding to the noise was the room AC (when it was working), which was super loud. This is basically an OK hotel with the veneer of a nice hotel on it.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family