Sandman Signature Vancouver Airport Hotel & Resort
Ranked #22 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Staunton, Virginia
“Skiddish wi-fi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

A friend booked this for our trip to Vancouver. Had I booked a room, we would've been downtown. Its in a good location, but the traffic going in/out or downtown takes away that positive.

beds are comfortable! Actually, everything about the room was...just needed a mini fridge.

Didnt get to enjoy the pools. It was too brisk during the day and the indoor pool is more centered towards families and was full.

Wi-fi needs a major overhaul. Could barely stay connected 5mins at a time. Big disadvantage since I'm from the states and can't use my cell phone.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

Sandman group has four hotels in entire Vancouver. This one (Sandman signature near airport) does look pretty good on the outside however is lacking significantly in several guest amenities.

Pros: The hotel has 3 pools (2 outdoor, 1 indoor), free green apples at front desk, free Vancouver downtown and Richmond maps at front desk, located close to airport, free shuttle from airport to hotel and back. Dennys, IHOP, McDonalds are in close proximity. Shoppers drug store and Subway are within 1.5 mile distance.

Cons: A hotel this size does not even have microwave or fridge in rooms. My room did not even have an ironing board. :( What's even worse is that there is no central guest lounge area where microwave or fridge is available for guests. You're left at the mercy of front desk or coffee shop attendant who will heat stuff for you (grudgingly). Rooms are far from the lobby, doors in hallway are not at all friendly for handicapped people (no push plate to open them automatically), carpets need to be changed, corridors and rooms have a somewhat run down look, rooms are noisy (I guess any hotel near airport gives you a feeling of sleeping on the tarmac), business center charges you $$ for browsing the internet or printing a page (I had to pay $4!). Wi-fi is inconsistent and they do not have enough boosters throughout hotel so signal keeps dropping frequently within their premises. Location becomes a negative point if you are planning on spending most of your time near/around downtown.

(FYI: Shoppers drug store (a 24x7 store like Walgreens) asks you to pay for a plastic carry bag if you want one!)

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is close to the lobby
2 Thank sacral
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed here for one night in January 2013, 5 weeks into a trip through North America.
I chose the hotel purely on its proximity to the airport, and the fact that it and a shuttle service, so expected some flight noise. We really weren't bothered by the aircraft noise, but then having travelled extensively we always pack earplugs and eye masks, so rarely get bothered by noise or light issues.
The rooms were spacious, and having a Denny's next door made for an economical breakfast for the family.
Our only complaint was that we tried to book a table in the restaurant, when we arrived, and were told that someone from reception would organise it for us.
Unfortunately there was some sort of special being advertised in Vancouver papers at the time, and when they eventually called us back some hours later we were advised that the only table we could get wouldn't be until after 9pm which didn't suit.
It would have been nice if some tables had been set aside for hotel guests, although we were informed that the restaurant was leased out so not really part of the hotel?
Regardless, I would still recommend this hotel, as the proximity and shuttle service to the airport make it a good choice for transit stays.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

The staff are friendly. We stayed in this hotel a few days ago and we were on the 6th floor and this time we were on the 16th floor. We could hear the sounds of the planes from time to time but not too bothering.
We tried to use the airline check-in kiosk in the lobby but it was not working properly. It said it could not find my booking reference, even my aeroplan number!! The party behind me experienced the same thing.

Room Tip: Must stay in the high towers
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stayed 9 nights here. My reservation was booked 3 weeks in advance. And they gave away my room. I was put in a different room full of ants! They were running all over the kitchen area, on the bedside table and around the ground floor patio door. (Not a patio...a parking lot!). Moved the next day to another room. Another parking lot view. Everything I this hotel is "tired"! No service around the pool, and although they have 3 pools ...there is not an adult only pool. I could not enjoy a dip in the pool after hearing.a child announce that she was peeing. The rooms need updating big time. The phone system is terrible. Finding someone at the front desk with any knowledge of their work place is hit and miss. I had a bad stay here...certainly would never return.

Room Tip: Not room 130 in the Provential wing for sure....was ant infested
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank sharingwithyou

Travelers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

I booked this room on Hotwire.com and got a pretty good deal, however I would have rather paid more for a better quality room than the one they put us in. It sure makes me rethink about booking through Hotwire again. We thought we would be staying in the tower but our room ended up being in a section of the hotel that was more like a 2 story motel. We had a long, confusing, winding walk to get to our room. The room appeared ok upon entering, however once we were in the room we stepped in a big wet and soggy patch on the carpet directly in front of the bathroom (so we had to jump over it to get in), as well as big long black hairs in the bed and on the bathroom counter. When I lifted the duvet, the sheets appeared to have been slept in as they were all wrinkly and smelled bad. I tried to call guest services but the phone would not put me through to any of the hotel services. I had to call the outside line to reservations who then put me through to guest services. I explained the situation and they "upgraded" me to a suite in the same area of the hotel. This room was not much better, in fact the room smelled of B.O. but we decided to just deal with it. Before going to bed I again tried to phone guest services for a wake up call and had the same problems, I could not get through to any hotel services. I once again had to call the outside service line to patch me through. This is only my second time booking a hotel room through Hotwire.com. The first time it was good and this time very poor, I am weary of ever using the site again. Overall, this hotel was very disappointing and I would not recommend it to my friends. The Hampton is a much better choice for an overnight stay before boarding a plane in the morning!

Room Tip: Don't let them put you in the motel section of the hotel!! Check that the A/C is not pointing at...
3 Thank trudy2_10
toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed here before and after a short side trip within BC as part of our Vancouver trip. It is well located and only 10 mins from the airport and they have a shuttle which will pick you up. The front desk people are super helpful and quick. The beds are AWESOME! The best sleep in a hotel I've had in a very long time. The only downside is that there aren't too many other restaurants in the area, so we had to walk quite a way to get something different from burgers and pizza.

Room Tip: we stayed in the columbia wing