“Great hotel...easy access to downtown via sky train!”

Sandman Signature Vancouver Airport Hotel & Resort
Ranked #22 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
High River, Canada
“Great hotel...easy access to downtown via sky train!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel many a time with work and I cannot fault it!
Check in is always very quick, staff are super efficient and very friendly.
The hotel is always clean and the rooms are great, every time I have been here I have a room with a balcony which is a bonus!
You can easily get downtown from here by using the sky train either near the hotel or back at the airport. Adjacent to the Sandman is Sharks bar which is a great place...very trendy and reasonably priced. Also inside the hotel is the exclusive Chop restaurant which is lovely!
All I can say is thank you for making my stay at your hotel so pleasant and I look forward to being there again soon!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Jumike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Have just spent one night at the Sandman Signature YVR and I was pleasantly surprised by this properly. The hotel has been kept up nicely, the room was modern and comfortable and the price was right for a one night stay between flights. The room was clean and staff very friendly. I would definitely stay at the Sandman Signature again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Franklin J, General Manager at Sandman Signature Vancouver Airport Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am pleased to know that you have enjoyed your recent experience with us at the Sandman Signature Hotel Vancouver Airport and I hope to welcome you back with us soon.

Warm regards,
Franklin Jackson
General Manger
Prince George
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

From the moment we checked in I knew this hotel serves the guests with quality service. The room (#1505) was very nice. The lobby and hallways are well maintained. The rooms are a good size. I've stayed here over 20 separate stays and it's always been the best. I will be back for sure.
"Well done Sandman."

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Ben,

Thank you for taking time to write this review and your continued loyalty with the Sandman hotel group. It is with great pleasure I read your review and very pleased to see that we have been living up to your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards,

Franklin Jackson
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

This hotel looked impressive from the lobby. Room was very noisy from the gym upstairs. Constant thumping from weights being dropped etc. Choice of eateries was not the best. Both the sport cafe and the bar had music so loud you couldn't hear yourself think let alone have a conversation. The third option, Denny's was really scraping the barrel. We wandered into the neighbourhood and came across a gem of a Korean restaurant. See my separate review for Dai Jang Kum. We booked an airport transfer at the front desk for the following morning. After waiting for 10 minutes for the airport shuttle we were told that cabin crew take priority. They arrived in droves, completely filling the shuttle bus. The driver said another bus would be coming over from their sister hotel. Another ten minutes and no bus. After complaining at the front desk that we were now 20 minutes over our alotted time, they put us in a cab, paid for by the hotel. Another hotel with much wasted potential.

Room Tip: Ask for a room well away from the gym!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Athens, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

After about a 45 minute wait for the bus that included a somewhat confusing phone call back to the desk of the wrong Sandman, we made it to the hotel and got checked in. The Sandman Signature was, generally, nice and the staff was polite. The room was comfortable with a firm bed. There are several restaurants on the property including Shark Club and Denny's, which we tried for dinner and breakfast, respectively. Both were fine. Depending on the prices and situation, I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

What can i say.......I have stayed at a few hotels in the airport area, which are 2 star hotels, and have a nicer room and stay.
The only reason i ended up staying at this hotel, is because of a "hot wire" deal. In which they implied that it was a 3 and a half star hotel, worth $170 dollars. I thought for sure for that price for a room it must be a good hotel.

When i checked in I was given a room on the ground floor......a presidential suite. Which i did hear is an upgrade to the usual room, as it is bigger and has a small kitchen, I asked them for a different room, as i wanted to be higher up, and have a nice view. Was I bad? They gave me a room in the corner, and a great view of the parking lot and noisy highway. I suppose i should have specified what i wanted a view of. There were no other rooms available so i was stuck with that one.
You recieve a map of the hotel, and there are signs everywhere to tell you where things are.....or where you are going, but even with both, one still tends to go around in circles.
The elevators were very uh creeky, and would randomly stop at a floor, but the doors would not open. I used the stairs alot.
I opened the door to my room , and stubbed my toe on the threshold. So be careful when entering your room.
The room had 2 Queen size beds, which were very comfortable. A small flat screen tv, which was just a little bigger then a lap top screen. For anyone that is hard of hearing. The volume is set to a level, and you cant change it, not good if you need to hear it over the traffic or air conditioner. A power bar was between the bed and chair, which didnt look too good.
There was a worn desk. (note if you want a desk in your room , you need to ask for a room that has a desk as they dont all have them) A worn dresser.
There is no bar fridge, and no ice bucket, even though there is an ice machine located on a few floors. No wine opener either, No robes supplied.
The bathroom was ok, but my shower head was broken. And the toilet seat was hard and not to comfortable to sit on. Be careful you dont fall in.
The Fitness facility is quite small. It has a an old small tv in it. Remember to bring your tv remote from your room as you cant watch the tv, as there is no remote. There are staff there, but are not as they told me ......hotel staff so they cant help you. I thought i would use the hotel phone to request a remote, but where did it go? It said hotel phone on the wall, but no phone.
There is a outside pool, but it was closed.
The inside pool is very small, mostly for children as there is a water slide that goes into it. A plus for people with children.
To top it all off , when i checked out , they said i had a restaurant bill to pay, as you can charge it to your room. I guess someone else decided to charge their meal to my room? So make sure you check your hotel bill at check out, you never know what charges may be on it.
I cant say i will come back to this hotel
You can check my other reviews of hotels. I may seem like i am fussy, but im not. Just unhappy with this hotel. Good thing i got a good deal and only paid $100 including taxes on it.

Room Tip: If you want a nice view of the mountains....You need to specify it clearly when you are checking in.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Cologne, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

We had two days in Vancouver before taking over our RV, and since we arrived pretty late at night we chose the Sandman Signature Airport Hotel to be our homebase in Vancouver.
Overall we did not spend too much time at the hotel, but I must admit that the Sandman Signature Vancouver Airport Hotel is a good choice to stay at. Getting into the city took approx. 40 minutes including walking to the train station.

Pros:
- Airline Crews sleep and stay at this hotel - so the hotel can't be too bad.
- Fast and free airport shuttle.
- Soundproof windows - as long as you don't open the window it's quiet inside the room.
- Even rooms close to the elevator are quiet.
- Friendly staff.
- Free WiFi
- Two beds - if you don't want to sleep with your partner in one bed, you can move over...! ;)

Cons:
- Some hair on the floor at the bathroom and on one towel.
- Towel around the hair dryer was dirty.
- No breakfast available - one has to eat at Denny's, which is directly located onsite (there are even signs inside the hotel to lead you to Denny's).

We did not use the indoor pool - but it's quite small. The outdoor pool is quite nice but rather a place to hang out while waiting for your shuttle than for having a great day at the pool.

I have read about the problems some travellers had with using the elevator. If one can read, one will not have any problems with using the elevator including your room key!

To sum it up, Sandman Signature Vancouver Airport Hotel is a hotel which offers modern facilities, decent services and friendly staff.
Quality-price-ratio is fair but not perfect!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple