“Quiet rooms, great restaurant”

Sandman Signature Vancouver Airport Hotel & Resort
Ranked #22 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
“Quiet rooms, great restaurant”
Reviewed November 11, 2011

This hotel is not new, but very nicely updated. Clean, comfortable, very easy to get to from the airport and has quick access to the freeway. The on-site restaurant is very good with a great wine selection. Room service is prompt and the food choices are adequate. The staff leaves you alone if that's what you want, but is very attentive if you are used to more pampering. The rooms are unexpectedly quiet for such a large hotel, close to the freeway and airport. I would stay at this hotel again any time I am in the Vancouver area.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Rollingvacationer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed November 3, 2011

I was specifically looking for a hotel in the Lower Mainland close to the Skytrain and with an Indoor pool and waterslide for my son. Also, I wanted free internet. Sandman Signature delivered on every front. We stayed for only one night but were quite impressed by this hotel. It was very clean and comfortable, very friendly desk staff, and the pool and waterslide were a blast. Modern decor and great choice of restaurants attached.

My only complaint is the size of the TV's in the rooms. They are 27" LCD screens - tiny. To be honest my laptop screen hardly felt any smaller.

Other than that, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Below is my original note posted in June 2011 regarding this property. To resolve the dismal experience, I had some communication from Scott Johnston (Hotel GM) and I've sent him 2 emails however no response has been received from him since July 2011.

I guess if you have a bad experience and advise management of this property, you will be ignored.

FYI

Originally posted in June 2011:
On a recent trip to Vancouver and Victoria, I booked this hotel at the beginning and ending of our trip. This property used to be a Delta Hotel and when it was a Delta it was a great place to stay. Now that it is a Sandman, I have to question the management and staff as to their ability to maintain this hotel. The rooms provided were not clean, there were cigarette ashes in the bathroom (toilet area behind the door), the carpets not vacuumed (Room P244), no garbage cans, the nightstands were not clean and it looked like someone had spilled some coke on it, the fan in the bathroom didn't work, the tap in the bar area was so loose you could spin it around, and after repeated notes and discussions with the front desk, it was NEVER cleaned properly. We were credited for 1 nights stay but the issues were never addressed. In fact, when I discussed the issues with the front desk, the clerk initially said "We'll credit you 50% of your nights stay" and then another clerk/mgr? stepped in to say "We'll credit you 100% of your nights stay and take care of the issues". The 100% credit for 1 night stay did happen but I kept my shoes on in my room the whole time and couldn't wait to get out of there. Also, the internet is weak/poor at best and I switched to my personal mobile internet stick. Attached to this hotel is a Dennys Restaurant, which was a disaster during our visit. Take a stroll across the parking lot to IHOP, the service and food is much better. I will NOT be back to this property.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Toscorpio
Horam, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2011

We are regular Sandman patrons, one or two holiday stays each year, but this was our first time at a Sandman Signature. Impressed by the calm relaxed ambience. There are two tower blocks of rooms but we were in the quiet low-rise Provincial wing which has two floors only; well out of earshot of busy Highway 99 on the other side of St Edwards Drive; no problem with aircraft noise except big ones taking off - depends on which runway. Our room was well insulated, clean, spacious, overlooking landscaped courtyard garden and outdoor pool (closed at this time, October).
Water heating to our room failed completely over one of our six nights; restored by 09.00 next morning, only after my cold bath; learnt later that the failure was localized to our block and that some guests obtained a hot shower elsewhere in hotel. Room temperature was warm and air-conditioned, but bathroom extractor fan was noisy like old machine, and lighting dim.
My wife enjoyed hot spa tub in swim facility but the water-slide or flume was closed for maintenance. We were out-and-about so much that I regret not using the hotel's upscale Chop steakhouse restaurant and bar - menu looked good. Our one visit to the hotel's Denny's restaurant was below expectations despite valiant effort to please by our server Christopher. For quality and price we preferred the famous-name fast-food restaurant on Cambie, easy ten minutes walk down the road.
Hotel has car park for 600 vehicles but we were using frequent all-day / late-evening buses on Cambie, connecting with buses and Canada Line train in Richmond centre.
For our purposes, a downtown Vancouver hotel is more convenient but this time we had worries and uncertainty about planned anti-capitalist protests and marches. The Signature hotel was the perfect escape for relaxation and luxury. The free shuttle coach to the airport was 100% reliable and easy.

Room Tip: Choose the low-rise provincial wing for peace and quiet.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Great service, clean rooms but for those few of us who enjoy a firm mattress, this is not the place to stay. The beds are extremely soft, almost like sleeping on layers of down filled quilts without a box spring. Laying down on the mattress, the whole bed sinks around your body. Rolling over or sleeping on your side is almost impossible! My fellow travellers enjoyed the beds, loved the idea of being cocooned by the mattresses. But of the three nights I had pre-payed to stayed there, my best sleep was in the dining chair in the room! So, if you like a firm or extra firm mattress, these are not the beds for you! As a side note, I also prefer to not hear dogs barking in adjoining rooms. This hotel does allow dogs in the rooms.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for one night before taking our flight back to the UK. The room was spacious and very quiet, with a very comfortable bed. Tea and coffee making facilities were much appreciated after our long day of travelling. Good room service provided. Although the room was clean the 'corners' were not and there was dust/dirt that had been missed, especially on the vanity unit in the bathroom. Very disappointed by the standard of equipment in the gym. All cardio equipment needed servicing or replacing. We were looking forward to using the gym to shed a few pounds before returning to th UK.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HCPUK
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Beautiful hotel. Comfy
Rooms. Nice
Bathroom with soaker tub. Great sized balcony. Close to shark club, Denny's ihOp and chop. Love this
Hotel. Very clean and nice helpful staff. Great updates to the hotel and rooms.

• Stayed September 2011