“Good for travellers/passing through”

Pacific Gateway Hotel at Vancouver Airport
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Victoria, Canada
“Good for travellers/passing through”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

I stayed at this hotel at the beginning of August 2011. I got a very good price ($80/night) on Priceline, so my review is based on what I received for that price, which may not be as good a room as if I had paid full price.

The hotel is a bit older, and it looks like they've tried to renovate the rooms. The rooms have dark furniture, redone bathroom vanities, toilets, tub surrounds, and flat screen TV's. However, the furniture is already looking a bit worn with edges chipped/paint worn, so if you're looking for luxury, this is not the hotel. If you're looking for a 3.5 star experience or to stay overnight because of travel, this has everything you need.

When I checked in, the reception desk was very busy. When it was my turn, I approached the desk and the receptionist asked me for my last name. Upon giving it to her, she said "Oh, you booked through Priceline." I frequently book through Hotwire and Priceline, but this was the first hotel receptionist that mentioned that fact to me--it was a bit awkward. She then told me extremely quickly what kind of room I was getting (I didn't actually even catch what she said). She then asked equally quickly if I wanted an explanation of the hotel amenities. I said "Sure" and received the ultra-express version of the explanation.

The room itself is a generic hotel room. I believe we received a double bed (though she had mentioned queen size to me, it seemed awfully small for a queen). The bathroom had been redone with the exception of the very shallow tub.

The negatives about the room were the bed was quite uncomfortable (very soft in the middle with hard edges around), the ventilation/air conditioning seemed not to be working properly. The room was very stuffy and hot at night--I would not have wanted to stay another night there. Also, the hotel is very noisy. The walls/doors are very thin, and you can literally hear the next door neighbour coughing, and you can really hear everything in the hallway. Bring earplugs. The other thing I noticed was in the short time we stayed at the hotel, there was ALWAYS a housekeeping cart in the hallway. They never seemed to be finished cleaning the rooms. Finally there was an electrical box of some kind hanging open from the corner of the room. It didn't have open wires but rather a computer chip looking thing inside. It wasn't bothersome, just unsightly and an indicator of how some details about the room preparation got missed.

Positives:

*hotel has a small pool with a good number of deck chairs
*hotel has WIFI in the lobby for free and in room for a cost of $11.95 per day
*the fitness facility is very good
*there is a small business center
*there is a regular airport shuttle -->if you are sightseeing in Vancouver without a car, you should take the shuttle to the airport and take the skytrain from there. The hotel is not really within walking distance to anything--location is isolated without a car.
*there is a coffee bar open to 1pm in the lobby.
*there is a fair size room service menu and connecting restaurant (which I did not try)

All in all, this is not a luxury hotel, but it will definitely suit your needs if you are staying over night or just for 1 or 2 days. If I needed to stay longer than 2 days, I probably would choose another hotel because of this hotel's location, poor air conditioning system, and bed comfort.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
slwalker, General Manager at Pacific Gateway Hotel at Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback after staying with us. I am very disappointed that you did not get a restful sleep, and were bothered by the noise from the adjoining room. We take pride in our service standards and rest assured your comments will be shared with our management team.

I sincerely hope that you will contact me to provide us with an opportunity to redeem ourselves as your loyalty is important to us. I look forward to our conversation and thank you again for the feedback.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Medicine Hat, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

We really enjoyed being able to get a shuttle to the hotel from the airport (and get a shuttle back to the airport the next day and then Sky Train to down town).
Lunch and dinner were excelent with great service. The breakfast buffet is one of the better ones.
The guest rooms are compact. Though for a nights stay thats not too bad I am not sure I would like an extended saty at this hotel. I gather all the roomas are pretty well the same size so an upgrade is not too much help.
The hotel dog Cessna is a sweetie and a great ambassador for Delta

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
amsandhu, Manager at Pacific Gateway Hotel at Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Dear Guest,
I am so pleased to read your review on how you enjoyed your stay with us. Our complimentary shuttle to and from the Vancouver International Airport runs frequently and with our location in close proximity to various transportation points makes us an ideal choice for travellers. Thank you for appreciating the food & beverage experience at Pier 73 restaurant and the breakfast at our Hemisphere North restaurant.
I also want to just let you know that apart from the standard guestrooms we also have some suites that are very spacious. I hope to get an opportunity to welcome you back to Delta Vancouver Airport in near future.

Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

We stayed a couple of extra day following a cruise. Got this hotel on Priceline for a good price. Staff was very friendly. They gave us information about an Italian restaurant within walking distance which worked out well. Rooms were a little small, but very comfortable. I booked a room for another couple we were traveling with and they were impressed with the facility. Complaints: parking was $14 per night which seems high for this area. Hotel was difficult to find. No internet. We were offered an upgrade, but turned it down since we arrived too late to get the full benefit.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
amsandhu, Manager at Pacific Gateway Hotel at Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
Dear Guest,
I sincerely appreciate your great feedback after staying with us at Delta Vancouver Airport and am glad that you liked the location and the service. I also want to clarify that we do have wired Internet in all our guest rooms and WiFi in the public areas.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Delta Vancouver Airport next time you travel to Richmond/Vancouver.

Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

I travel a lot for business and this is the first hotel that I have noted this level of customer service! Check in was quick - they double checked that I wanted a room with double beds (instead of a king). Due to my travel schedule; I sometime bring my teenager - so the double room was great! The room had an amazing view of the mountains & planes landing in the horizon. The staff will go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need for you stay! The complimentary shuttle will take you not only to the airport but to shops and restaurants in Richmond (and pick you up). The bellman has great suggestions for food, shopping etc.
The biggest perk is Cessna - the hotel dog! She is lovely and for those of us who can't have a dog - Cessna is a treat!

Breakfast in the morning was a tad pricey but again the service kept me coming back. Not only did they pack up my coffee in a to go cup but offered me some fresh fruit for my day (as I told them I often have to skip lunch). At 6am it is nice to see such happy, friendly people! Refilling my coffee & Juice before I even have to ask!

The outdoor pool was very nice on the hot evening to cool off and my teenager was thrilled. The fitness centre on the 11th floor is very decent and has a good mix of cardio equipment (treadmills, Arc Trainer, bikes & Ellipticals), free weights and a weight machine centre.

I consider the Delta my new home away from home - when in the Richmond area of Vancouver. Thank you to all the staff who made my week away delightful!

Room Tip: Sign up as a Delta Prestige member!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
amsandhu, Manager at Pacific Gateway Hotel at Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, July 7, 2011
Dear Guest,
Your review of Delta Vancouver Airport made my day. I appreciate your strong endorsement of our excellent guest service focus. Our guests love Cessna, the hotel dog and the community shuttle convenience to points of interest in Richmond. We never take your loyalty for granted and try to earn it each stay. I am so glad that you consider us your home away from home and we look forward to welcoming you again to your home in Vancouver/Richmond in near future.

Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

Used this hotel as a one-night layover before continuing on to Victoria. Rooms are very much on the small side and are not really suitable for a family of four. Staff in the restaurant was very friendly, and the kids liked Cessna the dog. If I was traveling on my own I would stay there again, but would look for another place if my family was coming along.

• Stayed June 2011
amsandhu, Manager at Pacific Gateway Hotel at Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, July 4, 2011
Dear Guest,
Cessna, our hotel dog is always a hit with the children staying at our hotel. We do have some suites as well as connecting rooms that are ideal for the bigger families.
I am happy that you noticed the great service that our team members provide and look forward to welcoming you back to Delta Vancouver Airport.

Nanaimo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

Wow, what a nice place to stay! We were in the hotel for one night as we had a Business meeting here. I cannot say enough good things about the hotel. The staff were amazing, so friendly, and helpful no matter what you wanted. "It's my pleasure" must be in thier training program, as we heard this statement over and over again, from the porters, to the waitresses.
We stayed on thier "Special" floor which included evening appetizers, and morning continential breakfast, as well as a wonderful lounge for you to relax in with computers and internet. (Late checkout as well!) It was a great feature, and we made use of all the services this room offered. Enjoyed the view of the marina from here for several hours.
We sat and had lunch on the deck of the Pier 73 restaurant, and what a great experience that was. Good Food, good service, and a wonderful relaxing view! You could see the sky train, the marina, airplanes, and mountians all in one view! What a treat!
There was a 24 hour Fitness Room - I never checked it out as I forgot my runners, so was not able to take a run on the trails running along the ocean either:( Next time I will be sure to tuck gym clothes in my bag!
We stay at hotels all over Canada, and in Mexico, and I have to say I think this is my new favourite ........... I will be back!

Room Tip: Up-grade - it is worth it
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
amsandhu, Manager at Pacific Gateway Hotel at Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
Dear Guest,
I just read your review of our hotel and it just made my day, thank you for the wonderful feedback and I am happy that you enjoyed your stay so much so that Delta Vancouver Airport is your new favourite hotel. We look forward to welcoming you again and delivering a similar experience in the future.

The upgrade to Signature Club floor does provide our guests with exclusive amenities like access to the Signature Club lounge with breakfast and evening apetizers and I am glad that you enjoyed this offering.

British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Delta Jun 16,2011 as we were getting a very early flight to San Francisco. A smiling lady (Kassia) took us immediately at the front desk and explained the area's of restaurants and baggage assistance. She was very calm and had a pleasant soft voice and met our needs of parking our vehicle for the weekend. This I appreciated very much as I was very tired being in lots of traffic and we were looking forward to a immediate dinner.
Room- Had a nice view of the River and southern part of Vancouver. Bed was very comfortable and my wife was pleasantly surprised with the bath room items which is very nice and adequate and much more than in many hotels we have been in and more useable items than we had in San Francisco Hotel.Room was on the 8th floor and was very quiet and hotel hallways were clean.
Baggage Clerk- Met Jose who again was very help full when I could see he was busy and gave me exact times that he bus started up,4:00am! Delta bus runs every 20 min and is very convenient and a great service to the Vancouver Air Port which is only a very few minutes from the hotel.
Restaurant Pub Service- Due to the time we attended the Pub at the Pier which is just a few minutes walk connected with the hotel. It was quiet full but we only waited 15minutes and a nice lady got us seated right by a window and view of boats and the inlet. The food was hot and adequate for price. A good menu now and more selection for dinner.
Hotel - There is no spa or pool or hot tub area in side and this would make a more fun and relaxing time before retireing to your room. Best location with excellant hotel bus service for your value and needs if you wish to stay close to Vancouver International air port. I have recommended this hotel to my travel agent at Marlin Travel Abbotsford,B.C.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple