“a very serene location”

International Buddhist Society (Buddhist Temple)
Ranked #6 of 110 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The International Buddhist Temple is one of the largest Buddhist temples in North America, housing the largest Buddhist statue on the continent and the largest Buddhist mural in the world.
Reviewed April 2, 2013

You don't need to be Buddhist or even religious to visit this temple. The building architecture alone is reason enough to visit, beautiful buddhas, as well as the beautifully kept grounds and gardens. No fee to enter, but donations gratefully accepted. The staff are very friendly. No pictures allowed inside the temple. A great piece of Chinese history, just off the beaten path of No.5 Road in Richmond. A wonderful place to sit and think your problems away.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I had no idea that this temple existed, but I am happy we checked it out. Beautiful gardens and striking buildings. Admission was free and we were basically allowed to wander around looking at the grounds and the temple. There was no photography allowed in certain areas, but there was signage for that.

There was some english signage, but I do wish there had been a bit more explanation about what the various objects, monuments, buildings were for.

Beautiful place tucked away in Richmond.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

In my old country, as a boy of 8-9 years old, I lived near a Thai and a Burmese buddhist temple.
This temple here in Richmond is a bigger one: nicely landscaped and tranquil, and it brings back happy childhood memories. If you have never been to a buddhist temple, it will be well worth your time to look around. It also has a dining hall where for a donation of $15 pp you get your choice of exceptionally good buddhist vegetarian food for lunch. The selection is good. Ample parking spots most times, and admission is free.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I visit often for an hour and feel really at peace whenever I am here.
The Buddah's are beautiful ,I always spend a little more time at the Laughing Buddah ,my personal favourite.
I have not tried the vegetarian restaurant but hear its good and will stop by on my next visit.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

We arrived at the Temple near closing time; but enjoyed the walk around the enclosure and especially around the pond. Every where you go you see beautiful creations whether on the grounds or on the roof. To go inside the Temple and see the large Buddha is breathtaking. No photos are allowed inside but the view is something you will remember.