“Disgusting hotel with terrible service.”

Ramada Limited Vancouver Airport
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Disgusting hotel with terrible service.”
Reviewed November 7, 2011

During my stay at the Ramada in Richmond I was not only disgusted but the cleanliness of the room but I was appalled by the attitude of the front desk staff.
After leaving the hotel to find a restaurant to eat dinner at, I returned. Since the parking garage is behind/beneath the hotel I drove around back and stopped my car to get my room key out so I could swipe it to open the garage gate. A woman who was clearly strung out on drugs then attacked the drivers side window of my car screaming about how she needed morphine for her son, and that she was afraid that someone was going to call the RCMP on her and bring her back to jail. She wouldn't leave despite me telling her to leave me alone until I threatened to hit her with my car. She finally walked back around to the front of the hotel giving me time to open the garage and drive inside.
As soon as I got inside I reported the incident to the staff at the front desk (whose names I cannot recall, though there was a woman and a man working, and the date was September 7th, 2011 at around 10 pm). I was very upset to then have the woman working at the desk laugh at me and say "Oh you were not in any danger, she is harmless". She completely downplayed what had happened to me and refused to contact the police or deal with the situation despite the fact that the crazy woman was still just outside the hotel approaching other guests. Then, I was disgusted with what happened next. To prove her point that the woman was "harmless" and "just wanted money for drugs" the woman at the front counter went on to tell me a story about how the crazy woman had approached a "Russian man" who had been a guest at the hotel recently. Her exact words were" He took her up to his room and f@$ed her then gave her money for her drugs". How is a guest supposed to feel safe after hearing something like that? I felt like I was staying in a "run-by-the-hour" motel, not a hotel that is part of a major chain.
I can confidently say that I will never stay in a Ramada hotel ever again after this experience. I am disgusted by the staff and their complete disregard for guest safety and comfort.

Room Tip: Pay more to stay somewhere better.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank 142BusinessTraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 27, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel three times and have enjoyed our stay. It is centrally located in Richmond. We usually request a room in the back of the bldg facing the park. The value is good. Resturants and amenties are close at hand. The downside: the room we were in is beginning to look tired. New linens, drapes and chairs would be in order. The pillows are sad. The internet connection was flaky and non-dependable.

Room Tip: When requesting a room in the back of the hotel. Ask that it would not be located near the dumpster...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed October 22, 2011

I am a self-employed professional and have been staying at this hotel for about two years. As a professional person, I rely on effective Internet access and communication. If you are a business person, this is not the hotel for you as the Internet service is oftentimes sporadic and at times non-existent. When staying here about a year ago I reported the problem to the hotels ISP and I also reported the problem to hotel staff. I was advised that I needed to write a message to the hotel through their web address BUT that I should also post a message like this online because the manager (franchise owner?) responds to posts like this but does not regularly respond to direct communication with the hotel. Interestingly, after having had that exchange, I returned to the hotel because I had lost a key during my last stay. When I approached the desk a guest was on the telephone to Hotel's ISP with his computer in front of him trying to get help to connect to the Internet. I could only laugh at the silliness of the manager (franchise owner?) not paying attention to his guests frustration.

All-in-all, if your travelling and not relying on Internet service this is the hotel for you. But, if you - like me - rely on reliable Internet access and reliable communication via the Internet, be forewarned, this is not the hotel for you.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank PDC_809

Travelers are raving about these Richmond hotels

parsippany, nj
Reviewed September 19, 2011

If you want to pay a very reasonable price and get good value for the money, this property is a great choice. We chose to stay in Richmond to avoid the higher cost of staying in Vancouver itself. Getting to Vancouver is just 15 minutes and easy access to the highway and only 10 minutes from the airport which is really helpful for early flights.

The property is clean, rooms are fairly spacious and the beds are comfortable. For a budget minded consumer this is an excellent choice. The staff are friendly. There is the standard continental breakfast which includes one hot entree (scrambled eggs which were actually quite tasty). There is a server there to get you coffee or toast. The muffins and crossiants are full-size not the mini-ones or cut up like other budget hotels.

Gym is very small so if you're looking for a large gym with lots of equipment this isn't the place.

All in all I was very surprised at how good an experience this hotel provided. It's also close to several restaurants including some award winning Chinese restaurants (Jade Palace).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Stayed one night on the way out to our vacation, and one night on the way back. The ONLY YVR hotel with underground parking (that I could find) was the reason why we initially booked this hotel. Nice, clean, updated rooms were great. Skytrain is close so it makes getting around simple and cheap. Great overall, will definitely stay again next time we are flying out of YVR.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Beavercreek, Ohio
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This experience has made me realize that it's important not just to post positive reviews. While I agree that hotel was conveniently located near the airport, I was shocked at how dirty the hotel was. In fact, I returned to the review page to make sure the hotel I was staying at was the same one that others reviewed as clean. No doubt everyone's definition of acceptably clean differs, but finding hair in the sink and the tub upon check in was awful. I've attached several pictures to allow others to decide on the condition of the hotel on their own before booking.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Artful_D0dger
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband and I were travelling with our kids that are three and one. We picked this hotel because we wanted to stay close to downtown Vancouver. The hotel site said that the rooms included a refrigerator and microwave which we needed for the kids milk and snacks. Although the rooms had a refrigerator we had to go down to the main lobby to use the microwave in the dining area. We also woke up in the middle of the night because the AC unit caused the firealarms to go off. When we called down to the front desk we were informed that this was a known issue but we were not cautioned. They did not offer to move us eventhough the room did not have windows and it stunk like burned cables, and we had small children in the room. We had to ask to be moved and we were charged to move. That being said the location was good. We walked two blocks to the local mall. There is a great park directly behind the hotel with rabbits, ducks beautiful plants and of course slides and swings for our young kids. There is also a Safeway about two miles away. Another thing we should point out is that the location is a bit weird as it sits in what should be the fourth corner of the intersection. When you are coming in it isn't an issue but leaving becomes confusing because we didn't have a light we had to watch the traffic to know when we could legally cross the intersection. We should also point out that the breakfast was quite limited even for a continental breakfast. They had cereal (only cornflakes), toast and waffles. You couldn't prepare anything. There was someone there serving you coffee and making the waffles. Which means if you wanted a waffle you could wait up to ten minuetes while everyone elses waffles were made. Not good if you are in a hurry or have hungry kids with you. Even getting juice was an issue as it was served not self service.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family