“Interesting history of the canning industry”

Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Historic Site
Ranked #2 of 108 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Built in 1894 in the historic fishing village of Steveston, the Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Historic Site is one of B.C.'s few historically intact canneries. The 121 year old cannery is now home to a museum commemorating the history of Canada's West Coast fishing industry from the 1870's to the present. Learn about our unique local history through interactive exhibits and activities for visitors of all ages!
Vancouver, Canada
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Interesting history of the canning industry”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Loads of activities and free tours. If you don't have enough time there are also the self-guided tour. Great insight that doesn't require a ton of reading!

Visited May 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Another gem in Steveston !”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Lots of fishing and canning memorabilia to see and lots of photographs showing the history of this once thriving Salmon Mecca

Palm Springs, CA
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Loved this tour!”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

This was such a fascinating tour about the local canning-industry history of the Richmond area... I know that doesn't sound very interesting... but surprisingly... it was! We loved this tour! My whole family (wife and 2 children) enjoyed the movie, production-line simulations, and the very knowledgable tour guide that led us around the old Georgia Cannery. We would most definitely go back with out-of-town guests.

Visited April 2012
2 Thank goldenexplorer
NZ
253 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 277 helpful votes
“Walk the River shore & soak up the history”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Lovely walking track and facinating history of early Japanese settlement down the road as well. Recommended for young and old alike.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank r s
Brisbane, Australia
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 165 helpful votes
“Great Attraction with Very Helpful and Caring Staff”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I visited this site in May 2012, I arranged my own public transport from downtown Vancouver. A little tip be sure to allow enough time if using public transport, I unfortunately arrived 30minutes before closing. The lady at the counter was so accommodating, once she knew I had traveled for over an hour to get there she did not worry about closing. When I realized I missed the last guided tour for that day she took me on my own personalized one on one tour of the historical site which was amazing as she really knew the history of the place. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the stories, in one word she made this trip worthwhile she also kept the cannery store open for me so I could grab some souvenirs. This is what makes a tourist attraction stand out from the rest, personalized attention was 10 out of 10! Thank you so much for your generosity and making me feel so special! I'm so glad I got to see the cannery.

Visited May 2012