Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Historic Site
Ranked #2 of 108 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Built in 1894 in the historic fishing village of Steveston, the Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Historic Site is one of B.C.'s few historically intact canneries. The 121 year old cannery is now home to a museum commemorating the history of Canada's West Coast fishing industry from the 1870's to the present. Learn about our unique local history through interactive exhibits and activities for visitors of all ages!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Fishy fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

Great fun for the whole family. Worth waiting for a tour. Lots of interesting machines and photos from the end of the last 19th C to the 1950s on salmon canning in BC.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vancouver
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Worth a look if interested in Steveston history/fishing industry”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

We checked out the cannery on the weekend and it was very interesting/informative with some interactive exhibits...My toddler liked exploring but I think older kids would enjoy it more. Would I be interested if I was somebody who had no real interest in the fishing industry? Probably not. If you are intrigued by the history of Steveston's fishing industry and the canning process, it's worth a visit. Our family went for free as it was a national park day celebration. It's worth a look, but if I don't know if I would pay to go in...

Visited July 2011

Visited July 2011
2 Thank lullabuy
Somerset, England
356 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 315 helpful votes
“Of Great Interest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2010

The Cannery is situated in the historic fishing village of Steveston and is one of the few surviving, but not operational, 19th Century canneries in B.C.

This cannery was the largest in the area and the leading producer of canned salmon. There are interactive exhibits, old photos and films to watch and free guided tours of the canning line are available which last about 45 minutes. I always wondered why tinned salmon contained bones - now I know the answer!

Part of the museum contains a herring reduction plant with all the original equipment still in place, which is also worth looking at.

Washington, D.C.
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 166 helpful votes
“A surprise treat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2009

My wife, I, and two teenagers happened upon this site while visiting Vancouver, and we loved it! It's a gritty but engaging memorial to the fishing industry of the past, and it was a great history lesson of the life and economy of the salmon industry. It's not a glitzy place, but you won't mind. You get an affordable, 45-minute (or so) guided tour of the L-shaped building, which walks you through displays illustrating the canning process, the machinery used, the working conditions, and the how race and ethnicity played into that industry. It was entertaining and educational. We highly recommend it if you'd like something worthwhile but outside the vacation norm.

2 Thank Leneal
Vancouver, BC
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“ATaste of History”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2006

A couple of weeks ago I decided to play tourist in my backyard, and go down to Steveston. This time in addition to just eating and shopping I visited the Gulf of Georgia Cannery. The old cannery has been restored as a museum about the fishing industry (there are still lots of fish boats in Steveston and you can buy fresh fish off the dock). I took the guided tour of the Cannery which was very informative,the guide was enthusiastic and knowledgable. You can walk around yourself and look at the displays. There is also a film. All told it was good value for money, interesting and I would recommend it. Leave about an hour or so to see eveything inside.

1 Thank 148jules