“at least it has a Moxie's”

Sandman Hotel Vancouver Airport
Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Barrie, Ontario
“at least it has a Moxie's”
Reviewed April 13, 2010

Good value presented, but the affordability comes at the expense of fine details. Probably a decent hotel for the price, but you won't feel like you're staying at the Ritz. Do your best to at least get a 5th floor room facing the back of the hotel. Highway 99 is right beside this hotel and may disturb you. Another perk to staying in the back is that you can connect via wireless to the Travelodge across the parking lot. Their wireless internet connection is 10x faster than the Sandman's. It's really abysmal here actually. Wireless or wired I wasn't getting better than 0.25 Mb/s but pulling the signal across from the Travelodge, I could get 2.5 Mb/s You'll have to discover a clever way to get their wireless password from them. I just called and asked, its "delta" by the way. But they might change it up now and then.

So rooms are a tad dated, rough around the edges but price is low and location is convenient. Short walk to the Canada Line train link to downtown Vancouver and a 8 minute drive to the airport. The Moxies restaurant is descent enough. Staff here is fantastic and I will miss them when I move tomorrow. We're hoping to relocate to a nicer hotel with better high speed internet.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Korean first
New England
Reviewed December 6, 2009

Upon arrival, the toilet had been used and not flushed! This prompted a further look at the room...the loft bed looked as if it had not been changed! As we arrived very late and were leaving very early we just asked for a early morning call at 4:15 a.m. to catch the 5:00 a.m. shuttle. We missed the shuttle by 1 minute, were the FIRST IN LINE for the next at 5:30 a.m. but were told by driver that we could not get on as he was now full after loading airline personnel and other hotel customers!! Since we were now in jeopardy of missing our plane, we asked the hotel to call a taxi. They paid for the cab but not the tip! We barely made the plane! I think one should certainly expect more than this since hospitality is their business....just unacceptable! We were on an extended trip and all the other hotels we stayed at were excellent! This one leaves more than a great deal to be desired! NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank josieNewEngland
SandmanYVR, Director of Operations at Sandman Hotel Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, December 11, 2009
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the Staff and Management, please accept my apologies for your disappointment as it is also ours.

There is absolutely no reasonable explanation for the poor level of cleanliness you experienced, please be assured I have shared your comments with out Housekeeping Department and expressed to them that this is unacceptable.

I am very sorry you were unable to make the orginal shuttle you had desired. Our shuttle runs on a schedule to and from the airport and we ask our guests to be down in the lobby approximatly 5 minutes before the shuttle is ready to depart. If you miss your requested shuttle, we are more than happy to try and reserve you on the next shuttle, if the shuttle is full - we make alternate arrangements for your transportation to the airport. I apologize if you were unhappy with our attemps in trying to rectify the situation.

Since you were disappointed with your recent stay with us, please feel free to contact me at your convenience and hopefully I will be able to provide a solution to your disappointment.

Warm Regards,

Director of Operations

Travelers are raving about these Richmond hotels

abbotsford
Reviewed November 29, 2009

We stayed at this hotel before we went on vacation to Mexico. The staff at the front desk were great and they even upgraded us at check in to a "loft" room. We have never stayed at a hotel that had a room with 2 levels - A must if you stay at this hotel! The room was nice and clean and they even gave us a gift basket! We ate at Moxie's, the service was OK, food was good - music was a little too loud for us. This was overall a great experience and we would definatly stay here next time we are in Vancouver.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed November 16, 2009

The room was alright and the food from the restaurant actually pretty good. However, I had my car broken into and the staff at this hotel actually tried running my credit card through for a combined total of 3 unauthorized charges. When I contacted the Sandman Corporate Office I was told that this was "the price for staying in the city" and that it was "my own fault because I left something in my car" (my IPOD in the glove compartment).

Customer service is non-existent as is the supposed free WiFi internet access. If you are American, do not stay at this hotel as your car will get broken into (I was the only American license plate on that lot) and the staff thinks they can go shopping with your credit card. Absolutely the single worst hotel experience EVER!!! I will NEVER stay at another Sandman hotel again. I'd rather sleep in my car.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank PixieBobs4Ever
SandmanYVR, Direstor of Operations at Sandman Hotel Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, November 20, 2009
Dear Guest,

I do apologize if we did not meet and exceed your expectations when you visited beautiful Vancouver BC. We have many guests from the US who enjoy staying with us on a regluar basis. Our goal is to impress our guests and encourage them to return to our hotel.

Thank you for your comments, if you wish to be in contact with my directly you can reach me at adonne@sandman.ca.

Kind regards,

Sandman Hotel Vancouver Airport
VA, US
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Stayed at this on our way back from a cruise trip.
Price-wise, it was one of the cheapest around. But it smelt of cigarettes all around. The fact that you had to use your room keys even to go up the elevator didnt give you a good feel for the "safety" aspects. Went down to the pool, and that too disappointed me. Room itself was so-so, but the AC was quite noisy, and even the knobs on it didnt work too well.
Location-wise, it is ok. We had looked at the distance from there to downtown Vancouver, and were misled into thinking it will be a short drive (just a few miles), but in traffic, it takes around an hour easily from downtown.

If you are looking to visit Vancouver downtown, Stanley park, Grouse mountain and Capilano bridge, choose something on the other side of the bridge - not near the airport.
On the other hand, if you are looking for just a low-cost option for the night just before taking flight out of Vancouver airport, or even driving down to Seattle, then this might be ok.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
SandmanYVR, Director of Operations at Sandman Hotel Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, October 15, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your recent stay with us was. We appriecate your feedback.

We have installed the key card reader in the elevators here as a safety aspect for our guests. This limits anyone who is not a guest of the hotel, to access a guest floor. We also pride ourselves on having an indoor pool, hottub and fitness center, we are among the few hotels in the area to have this feature for our guests. I apologize if you were dissapointed with these features.

It is true we are located close to the Vancouver international Airport making it easy for visitors coming or going to the Airport. We are 7 miles from downtown Vancouver, this will take 20 minutes without traffic (or on the new Canada Line 24 min)- however during rush hour this can take upwards of 1 hour. If you are interested in visiting downtown during your stay, it is best to plan around this.

I do apologize if your room smelt of cigarette's, if you had requested a non-smoking room, that is what you should have received, again I apologize. The A/C unit is the room should not be noisy at all, we will have to have our team inspect all the rooms to ensure this doesn't happen again. Perhaps a larger sign in the room indicating that the controls are located on the wall, not on the unit itself should be something we should consider.

Since you experienced a disappointment, please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss futher.

Thanks again for your feedback,

Calgary
Reviewed September 16, 2009

If you didn't actually require internet, this hotel would be acceptable---not special, but quite acceptable, with somewhat small but generally average sized rooms. Clean. The adjacent Moxies restaurant was very good. However, many like me, on business, expect and require intenet access. By 8:30 pm there really was no access, it had slowed that drastically. Management explained that they "had been having problems, but weren't sure what was wrong with it." A weak excuse, but maybe that works with vacationers. Like every other business hotel using a similar line, they need to spend money on sufficient bandwidth. Otherwise, quit advertising that you provide something that you really don't and quit wasting the time of the business traveller who relies on internet access.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
SandmanYVR, Director of Operations at Sandman Hotel Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, September 21, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your concerns and please accept our apologies for your disappointment.

We recently installed wireless internet in the entire hotel and have been working on improving the access at peak times, which we have since completed. We also offer our business travellers a High-speed wired connection in the rooms, a business center with computers and wireless lobby access.

Again thank you for your review and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Yours in Hospitality,

California
Reviewed August 29, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for our first trip to Vancouver. The hotel was reasonably priced and convenient to local transportation. First rule, never book a room on the outskirts of town when you travel with a lazy bum. It was a 45 minute ride on the bus into Vancouver. This is not the hotel you want if your travel partner is an afternoon person. That said...

This hotel is in a good location, it's just north of what Cantonese speakers know as, "New Hong Kong," in Richmond, BC. For those looking to experience a little of HK outside of HK on a small budget this is the place. Buses are located near/around the hotel and parts of New HK are within walking distance.

The hotel itself has decent sized rooms with a swimming pool and restaurant/lounge/bar. Food in the restaurant is decent and the bar seems to be a spot for the locals to hang out.

We stayed in a room with two double beds. The first night of our stay one of the bed sheets seemed to be soiled by a previous guest and I called the front desk to have the sheets changed. They must've thought they were being funny because all they did was swap the bed sheets on the beds instead of replacing them with clean new sheets. My friend noticed the smell from her sheets that I noticed the night before. Very unprofessional and yes we did notice that unprofessionalism from the staff every now and again.

The room itself was average and had low ceilings, the bathroom can be a bit claustrophobic if you're tall. There's limited counter space inside the bathroom but it's decent.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled with friends
SandmanYVR, Director of Operations at Sandman Hotel Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, September 28, 2009
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the staff and management, please accept my apologies for your disappointment as it is also ours.

There is absolutely no reasonable explanation for the poor level of service you experienced, please be assured a quality assurance program is in play to cease this type fo unacceptable practice from being repeated.

Since you were disappointed with your accommodations, please email me at your convenience so the management may have the opportunity to hopefully provide a solution to your disappointment.