“Needs Work”

Sandman Hotel Vancouver Airport
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
“Needs Work”
Reviewed July 23, 2005

First, this is a terrible place to locate.

Second, the air conditioning in our room was so plugged there was no air coming out. We had three rooms, two of the three the air conditioning was terrible and the third I was told was tolerable.

When I spoke with the front desk night manager, he suggested I wait until the day manager came in or call the manager later. We stayed here because we had an early morning flight, but because it was so hot we didn't get any sleep anyway.

Also, since I'm grumbling the room did not have shampoo.

On the good side the food at Moxie's was pretty good and it is conviently attached to the hotel.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Korean first
Comox, Canada
Reviewed July 20, 2005

We stayed here on two different days on either end of our holiday when we flew out of Vancouver Airport. We utilized their park and fly program as leaving our car here was cheaper than the park and fly at the airport. It basically cost us 25.00 to leave the car (as opposed to about 50 at the airport). We were on the third floor going out and on the fourth floor coming back.

The rooms were quite large. There were more than enough toiletries. There were also 4 towel sets. So often in other hotels there are only 3 sets, even when there are two beds and we end up having to ask for one more. The bathrooms were huge. Both rooms overlooked the parking lot, but we liked that as we were able to see our car.

We used the pool the first night and found it very refreshing. They had run out of towels, but housekeeping is just down the hall and they were happy to give us some. There is also an exercise room, but we didn't use it (too lazy!).

This is a busy hotel, since it is so close to the airport, so we always had to wait in line for both check-in and check out. But we always seemed to be second so the wait wasn't annoying.

We were not impressed with Moxie's, the restaurant in the hotel. This was nothing to do with the hotel though. We had to wait for 20-30 minutes for dessert. I think they must have been making the ice cream the old fashioned way. We spoke with management and they gave us a 40% discount. It wasn't our server, but I think they needed more staff in the kitchen.

The hotel has a free shuttle to the airport which was great. It only goes to one other hotel (Hampton) so it was very quick. Sandman is the first stop on the way back from the airport.

There is also a Tim Horton's just across Bridgeport which is open 24 Hrs a day and is very convenient if you have very late or very early flights.

9 Thank Comoxbox
Reviewed July 10, 2005

Although the hotel is very convenient for the airport, it leaves much to be desired. Our room was in need of refurbishment - tired furniture, inadequate and noisy air conditioner. We had a room with two Queens, but the overall size was cramped.

When we arrived for a two night stay, there wasn't a case stand or even a "Do not Disturb" card in the room. We asked for two stands and a card. After some time one stand was produced, but we were told that they hadn't any cards left ! Our room was on the first floor one room away from the laundry. The cleaning staff left the laundry door wedged open onto the corridor for most of the day (couldn't really blaim them as it was so hot in there), and there was generally an unattended cleaning cart outside. Having said that the room was cleaned and made up well.

The phone calls were expensive (they charge for local and 1-800 numbers).

Roxio's - the attached restaurant - looked seedy and expensive. I would recommend any visitors to walk over to the adjacent Travelodge and use their restaurant - excellent value, pleasant staff, and a lovely room with vaulted ceiling.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Reviewed June 8, 2005

The staff was pleasant but that was about it. They charged us 53 cents for every local call we made. The indoor pool was freezing and so on. We will never go back.

• Stayed April 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Germany
Reviewed May 10, 2005

I have only good things to say about this hotel. It is clean and modernly decorated. The staff are friendly and the hotel offers a free airport shuttle every 30 minutes. They provided an in-room coffee maker as well as complimentary tea, water, cookie and small bag of chips. In the morning I found a National Post at my door and they offered other complimentary newspapers at the front desk. Across the street from the hotel there is a Tim Hortons, Quiznos, A&W and Taco Del Mar so I never tried out the on-site restaurant. The price was very fair and parking was free. Sandman offered early booking rates on their website. I paid 70 CDN for one night in April and 74 CDN for one night in May for a small room with a queen bed. I would gladly stay here again.

Stayed April 2005
5 Thank jiopr
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 19, 2005

Last week (13th & 14th of April) my boyfriend and I stayed at the Sandman Inn Vancouver Airport. He didn't really want to stay out in the 'burbs but I figured since it was a rainy forcast, we were going to have to drive and take the car around anyway. So I changed his reservation from the Holiday Inn downtown to here. The hotel is fairly new, I think 5 years old so I figured it couldn't be too dingy or bad. The rooms are small but clean and decent. They have other sizes but we reserved the smallest. There's a Moxies Grill down below opened till 2am for food and cocktails. We didn't go but I am sure it's decent too. Kinda like a TGI Friday's style or Milestone's restaurant. Can't be too bad. But nothing fancy. We ate mainly in Vancouver as there are more options of course.

We did check out the pool and hot tub in the hotel. Pool was so so but when I dipped my hand in the hot tub it seemed just luke warm. So we skipped out on that even though that is always a high priority when we book a hotel. The room was comfortable and a pretty decent price. Clean which is important to me. I think we paid something like $79cdn/night. Parking is free and it's very close to the airport which is always ideal. I hate how hotels have parking lots and then charge their guests extra. That is my pet peeve. They also have a free shuttle bus to the airport that goes on the hour every hour. My only complaint was that our room was close to the elevator and ice machine. You can hear the ice machine making ice all night long. That is the only major complaint I had. Overall I think we'd stay here again. But you do need a car or some sort of transport if you want to go to Vancouver/Downtown/etc. If you want to spend time in Vancouver I suggest staying within the city and preferably downtown.

4 Thank jetsetera
Reviewed January 4, 2005

This hotel is very convenient for people traveling to the airport. It is only 10 min away and they do a have a free shuttle. They also let you leave your car at there hotel (Inc in the price), and it is a very amazingly low rate for such a wonderful service. The rooms are very clean and the staff is very friendly. I stayed in a room with a king and a hida bed it was very spacious and nice. I have also stayed in there honeymoon suite and is awesome very romantic. It is a dual level suite, with sofa bed on main floor with your Jacuzzi tub. Then there is a flight of stairs that take you up to your king bed. This suite had 2 TV’s and kitchen amenities as well. It would be ideal for a family. (If you want to get away from the kids). So I strongly recommend this hotel to any one who is looking for a stopover before a holiday.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member