“Enjoyable stay at the Executive Airport Plaza Hotel”

Executive Hotel Vancouver Airport & Conference Centre Richmond
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This was my 2nd time staying at this hotel. My company holds our Vancouver classes here in which I teach. Last November I was here, but so sick that I really didn't pay attention to anything except to teach and sleep!

I called a few days ahead (which I do for every hotel stay) to confirm that I have reservations and ask for a concierge floor. I was told they had a "club" floor which would be larger, quieter rooms for $10 (Canadian Dollars) a night surcharge. My company won't pay for that but most times it's worth it for me so I went ahead and ok'd the change. When I arrived I was directed to my room. It was a large King size room, but nothing special about it other than nice big windows looking out into the city of Richmond. It did not have the little kitchenette that I had in my room last time so I called and asked about it. No problem. I was moved to another building that has the kitchenettes. The only difference for the "club room" is that it's on the top floor (quieter?) and had a big Jacuzzi tub (hard to step into) and a skylight in the bathroom. There was no view; just a little balcony and all I could see was the stucco from the building across the way. Not a big deal but not worth an additional $40 for the stay. Also, the floor was not quiet - lots of kids running up and down the hallways. The rooms are clean. The kitchenette is great - always great to stock up at a nearby store for the weekend and then I can have my breakfasts and lunches in the room. Loved that the kitchenette had an electric tea kettle. I will often make oatmeal in the mornings and it's great not to have coffee tasting oatmeal from running water through the coffee pot to heat it. A small thing for some, but for me it's a big deal. The beds are comfortable - I slept well every night, which is unusual for me. The staff was also very friendly and helpful - at the front desk as well as the housekeeping staff.

Our meeting room where our class was held was very acceptable. The Banquet staff was really great! They went out of their way for me. Bryen, the Banquet Captain did an excellent job every day. The first morning, when things are a little hectic, he was able to figure out how to get my microphone and power point up and running. The room was set up just as ordered and any changes we needed he handled with ease. I loved that there was a pitcher of water up at my table every day; often I have to go searching for it or steal it from the student's water table. Bryen was also just very friendly and he went out of his way to make sure that I and my class were very well taken care of. It was very appreciated as it does not happen all the time.

I'd love a hotel in downtown Vancouver, just because I never have too much time for sightseeing, but for what this hotel offers (also a free shuttle to and from the airport) it makes for a very enjoyable place to stay for work and look forward to coming back here next year.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms that have kitchenettes!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MelindaN

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed when it was very empty. We learned that families are segregated in one wing of the hotel. It was subtle in the least. Note the pool is in building three on the first floor. The hot tub is in building one on the seventh floor. They don't tell people that at all. Rooms front onto a parking lot an ugly building wall. It really gave the impression of a prison. Fortunately rooms were clean.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Michelle T
GM_Airport, General Manager at Executive Hotel Vancouver Airport & Conference Centre Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Our hotel was build in stages from the original building ,which by the sounds of it, where your room was located to our condo tower. Families are allocated to all 3 building depending on the actual need. Indeed our amenities are a bit spread over the large hotel area that is why on checkin we provide a property map to each guest showing the location of different amenities.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have not even checked into this hotel yet, arriving tomorrow and have called the hotel twice and spoke to front desk staff and received nothing but excuses. I own my own resort and understand how things work but being told nothing can be done with respects to requests rather than we will see what we can do does not lend to looking forward to my stay. There really needs to be some customer service training done as one should not have to take every thing to the manager. I can only hope that once we arrive things get better.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank JDJJ_2004
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We chose the Executive Airport Plaza Hotel for a short getaway, based on its location and amenities. It turned out to be one of the least restful getaways we have had in a long time.
The Bad:

-upon booking our mini-suite in the courtyard building,and upon arrival in Richmond, we were told check-in time was "between 2pm and 3pm". We arrived at the hotel at 3:20pm and were told our room would not be ready for "at least another hour" (approximately 4:30pm). Several other arriving guests were told the same. We had been travelling since 7am; we were hot and tired and didn't want to wait. Hotel staff offered us an alternate room.
-in the alternate room we discovered a gurgling sound coming from somewhere in the walls (think: dripping coffee percolator sound). Maintenance attended and told it it was "a main collector drain pipe for the upper floors" and nothing could be done. No way we could sleep with that sound all night.
-hotel staff then offered us yet another room. Same layout but this one had only a single bed and a love seat/pullout bed, not two beds as we booked. We asked for, but were declined a price reduction for the difference in sleeping accomodations.
-the rooms in this wing are a combination of modern appliances, but worn, stained, and dated decor.
-the property is not airconditioned centrally; each room has a loud, old-school wall mounted A/C unit. Leaving our A/C unit on all day kept the room at an acceptable temperature (although we had to switch the unit off to sleep due to its noise). Hallways and other common areas were uncomfortably warm.
-due to some sort of design issue, the shower in the bathroom leaked water all over the floor; there wasn't any way to stop this other than not taking a shower.
-the Jacuzzi bathtub looked inviting, but only half the jets worked.
-the WiFi throughout the courtyard building was poor; the signal was weak at best and completely dropped out often.
-there was a brief planned power outage during our stay,as BC Hydro was working nearby. Guests were warned not to use the elevators "during the power outage". When we returned to the hotel that evening, the planned power interruptions were complete and the lights were on, and a hotel maintenance man assured us all was fine and the everything (including the elevators) was working properly. We entered the elevator car and were trapped, the car would not move and the door refused to open, and the temperature in the car was near 30C. We had to press the alarm button for 15 minutes before a hotel staff member opened up and let us out. No apology, no concern, nothing but an annoyed attitude as if we had caused the problem.
-we used a stairway to go down to dinner later that evening; in the hot stairway was the remains of our room service dinner from 24 hours before! (the bellman told us this is standard procedure here; the cleaning staff take the used food trays and store them in the stairways until they are collected at some other time. Seriously!)

The Good:
-in general, hotel staff were friendly and helpful, and tried their best to address the problems that occurred.
-despite being dated and worn, the mini-suites are nicely laid out and acceptably clean.
-comfortable bed.
-quiet room, in spite of being on a main street and close to a major airport.
-suites have all the necessary amenities: phone, TV, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, microwave, kettle AND coffee maker (plus coffee and tea), Having a balcony was nice, too.
-great location; close to YVR. Malls, stores, pubs, and entertainment within walking distance.
-very good range of in-hotel services, including restaurants, pub, room service, pool, hot tub (curiously located in two seperate buildings, however), spa, and a terrific rooftop garden.

Our thoughts:
Plenty of issues during our first-ever stay here. Many were in-house problems, the power/elevator ones were not (but also not handled very well by staff). Yet Executive Airport Plaza Hotel has a great location, good range of amenities, and a reasonable (for Richmond) price. We may give this hotel a second chance in the future, but we will have to think carefully about it.

Room Tip: -lower rooms and suites are cooler in summer; choose one not facing south or west. -rooms farther f...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Island_Sherry
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We've stayed here once before but our last visit was for my husband's birthday and the staff went beyond to make our stay memorable. I chose the Romance package and Laura, Shawna and Sonia all helped out with the plans. We had the best customer service that we've ever had at any hotel. My husband travels a lot for business and he was very impressed. Now when we come to Vancouver for business or pleasure the Executive Airport Plaza is the only place we will come.
John and Susan (Nanaimo,BC)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Anthony at the front desk made our stay such a pleasant one. From the moment we entered the building he was just so accommodating to our needs. Wish we could have stayed longer just to get to know him better. Enjoyed our visit very much and the hotel was close to everything. The bed was a dream. Will see you on our return through Vancouver. A and H Wright, Sydney, Australia

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I spent a lot of time at this hotel after being downtown. I spent 6 nights here and was so happy with the hotel and the staff that I extended my stay with my family for an additional 2 nights before flying back to Australia. This is an excellent location, close to the airport. The hotel also has a free shuttle service. We were upgraded to a really nice room and due to this we decided to stay that additional 2 nights and also the night before we flew out.

When I return to Vancouver and spend time in Richmond then this will be the hotel i stay at hands down. Susan working at the front counter was great and really looked after us. It's pretty hard to find anything negative to say about this hotel. I guess the main thing is if I had an issue with the room or anything really then they solved the problem. I had an issue with the heating in my room so I was upgraded. That simple and I wasn't even trying to score an upgrade.

Room Tip: If your want to stay in Richmond or be near the airport then use this place. It appeared just as nic...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family