“A Zenith TV!”

Holiday Inn Vancouver Airport
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed January 19, 2010

This hotel was very modern but I could not believe that the television was over 25 years old.
The bathroom was super large and the shower was top class but the television ruined the whole experience for me

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank monarg
Generalmanager3, General Manager at Holiday Inn Vancouver Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2010

Thank you for your review of our Hotel I was happy to hear that you enjoyed everything about our hotel except the T.V.'s. I am sorry to hear that the T.V.'s did not meet your satisfaction. The T.V.'s are all being replaced this year with new flat panel T.V.'s I hope next time you are in the area that you will try us again and enjoy the new T.V.'s. I hope while you were here you did get to experience our brand new Fitness Center with the individual T.V.'s attached to each machine

Regards,

Andrew

Reviewed December 11, 2009

This is a modern, clean, quiet hotel with the amenities you would expect for a hotel with this rating. It is about 10-15 minutes from Vancouver International and there is a free shuttle service that runs every half hour.

The rooms are very modern with comfortable beds and large bathrooms complete with granite counter tops. I was only here for one night but I cant really complain about anything.... it exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AJay1974
Reviewed November 24, 2009

Just completed a 5-night stay at the Holiday Inn a few days ago, and I was pretty pleased with our choice. We booked it through Priceline, so we only paid $50/night, which was the main reason we were pleased. The hotel itself was a standard 3-star hotel, and we actually had a couple of hiccups when we first checked in. First off, the first night they were out of king rooms, so my girlfriend and I had to stay in two beds. They fixed this the next day for us, though. Next, we had trouble originally requesting a fridge in the room, but we were able to get that sorted out as well. Parking wasn't free, but $5 was pretty reasonable. Only problem is there's not much near the hotel... there's a McDonald's in the parking lot, but anything else and you'd pretty much need a car. Unless it's not raining. Oh yeah, the biggest problem we had was with the Internet... they have free wifi, but it's pretty bad. It worked great at some points, and barely acceptable at other points. At least it was free, I guess.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2009

This property is close enough to the airport to be convenient, but not too close that the sound is annoying. It is a very nice, clean and reasonably new HI hotel and I would definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 27, 2009

Stayed here from October 23-25, 2009 in a room with a king-bed. Overall, an excellent stay in a large, clean room for a reasonable price.

The room was clean and much bigger than I expected, with a comfortable and separate sitting area (couch, coffee table). King-sized bed was comfortable, not too soft and not too firm. The choice of soft and firm pillows was a nice touch. Bathroom was big and roomy with plenty of counter space for toiletries. Shower/tub was nice, curved curtain bar gave it more space, good water pressure and hot water supply. Coffee machine was provided and the coffee was the usual blah-tasting hotel blend... the only disappointment in the room.

Parking was in a gated lot for $5 per day, unlimited entrance/exit. Wireless internet worked as expected -- not the fastest, but good enough for general web browsing, airline check-in, etc..

Free airport shuttle was a nice touch. AND... if you arrive after the shuttle stops service (around 12:30am) like I did because of an east-coast red-eye flight, the hotel will reimburse your taxi ride up to C$14. That is something I've never heard of in the United States and was quite nice of them! I used the reimbursement policy when I arrived and then picked up my rental car the next day of my stay.

Fogg 'N Sudz restaurant was nice and had a British-pub atmosphere. We only ate here for breakfast and the meals (~$7-8) were well-portioned, tasty and well-priced -- there wasn't any "hotel premium" in the prices. To put it in perspective: The meals here were cheaper than the International House of Pancakes (IHOP) down the road on St. Edward's Way. As other reviewers mentioned, there is a McDonald's nearby for grab-and-go meals as well.

Location-wise, this hotel is in Richmond, BC, south of Vancouver. It's extremely convenient for driving around to the Asian (and non-Asian) shopping malls located in the area -- you can ask the front desk for a map. It's also reasonably close to the Canada Line, which is a brand-new (as of this writing), automated, overhead subway system that can take you to Downtown Vancouver. If I were here for a prolonged stay, I would definitely drive to the Canada Line station, park, and take the subway to downtown to avoid traffic to/from the bridges and parking fees. Driving in to Vancouver takes about 20-30 minutes depending on the time of day (rush hour can be really slow).

So to reiterate, I had a great stay at this hotel for a great price. I would definitely recommend to my friends.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2009

We stayed 2 nights pre-cruise. Took scheduled shuttle from the airport and check in was easy and fast. Room was nothing unique but clean and comfortable. If you need absolutely quiet to sleep, this is not for you. You can hear a bit of traffic noise. We like the fact it is a non-smoking facility.

Staff are friendly and service is good. We had 2 problems during our stay and were resolved quickly. My sister was allergic to 'down' material, once we discovered that duvet was down we called the front desk and they brought up blankets within minutes. The other issue was with internet connection, I was able to see the connection but no internet. Manager Stephen offered us 20 minutes free internet in the lobby. That was fine as we just needed to check e-mail. They also connected us with the help desk to figure out the problem but no luck. I know the problem is not with my computer as I was able to use it Safeway Supermarket's wi fi without any issues.

We rented a car to get to cruise terminal but We notice the hotel also offers shuttle to cruise ship terminal at a reasonable fee. Over in over, good place for a short stay and we appreciated friendly service.

I would rate a 4 Star if internet connection had worked.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank wen_c82
Reviewed September 20, 2009

We stayed at this hotel on a spare night in Vancouver after an Alaskan cruise. We got the room for $65 from a "name your price" website. The hotel is about 30 minutes from downtown and in a not so nice part of town. There's a McDonald's in the parking lot, but other than that there isn't much to eat near by. There is a restaurant and bar inside the hotel.. but I didn't eat there.

Parking is $5 per night, the garage is gated. There is no option.. you have to pay the $5 parking. No on street or near-bye is available. The parking garage is only accessible from the stair way in the lobby. So to go from the garage to your room you have to go in the stair well.. go down a flight of stairs, enter the lobby and then use a different set of stairs or elevator to go up to your room. The garage and the rooms are not accessible directly.. you must pass through the lobby and go up and down stairs first.

The room I got was very weird. The bathroom was missing wallpaper on some of the walls.. on others it was already pealing off. Joint compound was clearly visible above the mirror... not ever sanded or primed or painted. Didn't look like construction was ever finished.

The toilet sat 12 inches away from the wall.. oddly placed in the middle of the bathroom. The shower was roomy and had good water pressure. The bed was soft, the furniture was nice.. the furnishings clean. WiFi worked well and was free.

The "business center" downstairs cost to use per minute and it had 1 computer with a UNIX operating system. It boggled my mind that I had to use UNIX in a business center. I pity anyone who expected to do anything more than print boarding passes off the web.

It is the most poorly thought out hotel I've ever been to. Looks like someone just tried to make a quick buck off the Olympics and slapped it together in a BMW parking lot. I wouldn't recommend it to a friend because the management clearly does not care about the quality of the hotel, the rooms or the guests' visit. Once the 'newness' of this hotel wears off, it'll be a real dump. You'll probably be safe for the next year or so.. but beware, it could go down hill quickly.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank csnoke
Generalmanager3, General Manager at Holiday Inn Vancouver Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to write about your most recent stay with us and please accept my apologies for the peeling wallpaper.

I just wanted to clarify that the hotel that you assumed was new is actually 12 years old we take a lot of pride in the condition of our building and continue to update on an ongoing basis. I also wanted to let you know that we do care about our guests and that is why we are in the top 10% of Holiday Inn's in North America for Guest Satisfaction and have won the Torchbearer award from IHG numerous times since our opening. I am very sorry that there was wallpaper peeling off the wall in your room and I have our engineering department checking all the rooms to make sure this was a one off and not the norm.

I was happy to hear that you were impressed with the shower being roomy, the good water pressure, the furnishing and the cleanliness as we work very hard to ensure all of our guests have a great stay.

Have a great day.