“A Home Away from Home with a Romantic Flare”

Radisson Hotel Vancouver Airport
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
North Vancouver, Canada
“A Home Away from Home with a Romantic Flare”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

We wanted a few days away without the kids and we didn't want a schedule and we didn't want to have to go too far. So we chose the Radisson Hotel in Richmond. It is very centrally located with a Skytrain station right across the street, and the Aberdeen Mall and Yaohan shopping centre as part of the hotel complex. When we arrived I was amazed at how warmly we were greeted, it seemed to us that the staff was genuinely happy that we had chosen their hotel to stay at. The check-in was fast and efficient and everything that we had requested was given to us. The hotel lobby is very warm and inviting as well and it makes a nice impression the minute you walk in with a beautiful expansive staircase that comes down into the centre of the lobby. When we got to our room it was very nicely decorated and it smelled so fresh and clean and not in an artificial way. We had requested a king size sleep number bed and that is what we had. It took us all of maybe 30 seconds to put our suitcases down, jump on the bed and immediately find our sleep number on our separate sides!! The view we had from our room on the 6th floor was really nice and almost immediately we had a jumbo jet fly so close over our hotel we felt as if we could reach out and touch it. We could lie on the bed and watch the planes coming and going at all times of the day and night and yet the hotel is so well insulated that you didn't really notice them going over until you saw them.
Throughout our stay, whenever we needed anything from housekeeping or even if we just saw the staff in the hallway, we were always greeted so nicely and everyone asked if there was anything we needed, were we having a good time etc. And because they knew that we were there for a romantic relaxing weekend we were never disturbed by the housekeeping staff no matter what time it was and we really appreciated that. We came away from this weekend feeling like we had had a wonderful romantic mini-vacation and were so relaxed. But the recurring theme that really stood out for us was that we were treated like family here the entire time we were there. We stay at hotels quite often and we have never experienced the level of friendliness that we did at the Radisson in Richmond. I don't know if it is their training or just that the manager has recruited exceptionally customer service oriented people but they are truly outstanding in the hotel business!! We would highly recommend anyone stay here and we will certainly be back often!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Grandmum1821
BCGator, Manager at Radisson Hotel Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
Dear Grandmum1,

Thank you for your comments and for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next getaway.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
vancouver
Reviewed September 27, 2011

The "Fresh" restaurant operation is a joke. We had three separate occassions (brunch, lunch and prime rib dinner) to experinece this one and only restaurant attach in this hotel property. The brunch setups were ok standard. Meaning the usual lineups of salad and the hot selections but the services are not good. There were inadequate servers to clear the plates, top up drinks or refill the food items in the buffet tables. Meaning a lot of empty or near empty platters on the buffet table. Therefore the presentation was sad looking and it was messy. The lunch was worse because there were hardly any customer (2 tables to be exact) when we were there. The server had disappeared most of the time so we needed to wait for water or coffer refills. The standard food such as sandwich and hamburgers were dry and uninviting. The server left us a coffee pot and the coffee must be made a day before and we requested for a fresh pot. The reply was that the coffee was made fresh daily (I kinda hope they would say hourly) because I believe the coffee was made in the early morning and they were serving the same pot to us when we there at 1230 lunch hours
The worst experience was the prime rib dinner event. The place was 1/2 full and 1/2 of the table was not set or clean property. There were three servers and they were either inexperienced or ineffective because we had to wait very long to get any attention. The manager (no disrespect) was walking around in the restaurant with a cane with her. Needlessly she should be on medi leave because she was unproductive or effective. Our reservation was at 700pm and our server (after sitting and waiting for over 1omins) had adivsed us they had run out of prime ribs. She informed us we could have had the last cut and we needed to decide quickly so she could save us the last chunk. It was a mistake and I would elaborate later.
The salad bar was just as sad looking as the brunch except it was worst off because they had no kitchen staff to fill the empty platters. And the salad bar is a part of the prime rib dinner combo. I asked the chaffing chef about the empty raviolli and 1/2 empty vegetable platter. He informed me they had run out of these items. Pardon me and there was almost no food (vegi dish) left in a buffet setup at 700pm on a Saturday evening?
I spoke to the manager (not sure her name was sharon?) and she told me they run out of the prime rib because it was so "popular". I asked why could the kitchen prepare exta meat on such a popular meat item in the prim hour.She responded that the kitchen had cooked two prime rib prior and there was no more. To all the viewers and I swear this was her answer. Two chunk of prime ribs to sell on a highly promoted Saturday night dinner menu and this is shocking of a restaurant operation.
So we were the "unlucky" one who had the last chunk of prime ribe and I still try to digest what so "popular" about this prime rib. It was not a ten oz prime rib but rather the scrapes of whatever left. It was not medium or well done but I called it a dogs breakfast and I am not exaggerating. We decided to suck up and quit complaining as we had already returned the so call "salt and pepper" squid appet earlier because it had no taste. The Karamarie was deep fried with heavy coated of bread batter, no spice or salt or may be I missed the taste. I asked the server to remake another one with the spice. She returned and "apologize" that they had run out of squid and suggested we should choose another appets. So we ordered a chicken wing and never thought anyone could mess up this simple pub food. And we were wrong again that the "buffalo sauce" was a thickener with tabasco sauce add on.
I am not sure this restaurant actually operated under the Radisson hotel management or a separate contracting eatery. This is by far the worst dining establishment I have ever experienced in any hotels in this area. My 1001 question is that who control the food quantity and the quality control in this restaurant? I attended this place in three different occassions simply out of bad luck or coincidence that my different guests had chosen this place instead of my choice. It was a total embarassment and I warn those who wish to venture to this eatery must prepare to receive a shock treatment.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank samikDallas
BCGator, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
Dear samikDallas,

Thank you for your comments and we are sorry to learn of your poor experience at our Restaurant after a busy early dinner rush. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly at 604-276-8181.

Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I stayed in this hotel just the one night before I left British Columbia. The hotel is just a 10-minute-drive from the airport away. The room I had was really nice. I stayed in a suite. I used the pool twice. I didn't use the workout area but I went through it on my way to the pool and it looked nice and clean as well.
The room was clean as well as the bathroom. The check-out on the day of departure was really uncomplicated because I just found the bill in my room on that day so for early leavers this is quite convienient.

There is a walkway between the hotel and some chinese-restaurants located next to the hotel (I haven't used them) and a big shopping mall on the other site of the street.

I would stay there definitely again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
BCGator, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Dear PuckyPuck78,

Thank you for your review and feedback on your recent stay with us. We look forward to being able to welcome you back to the Radisson Hotel Vancouver Airport on your next trip to the Vancouver area. Thank you for staying with us!

Fukuoka, Japan
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We booked a king in a 1-bedroom suite, which cost a little more than we usually spend, but it worked out perfectly for our situation this time around. We were a party of 5 (2 adults, 3 children), with 2 people flying out of YVR at 2:00 a.m. and the remainder flying out later, so the later fliers took the bedroom, while the earlier fliers used the sitting room and let themselves out without disturbing the rest of the gang. The room was very clean, nicely appointed, and had free coffee, tea and wifi. We were within walking distance of a plethora of restaurants and shopping, and the airport shuttle service was efficient and excellent. We were satisfied with our stay here and recommend it to people who need a place to stay near the airport.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
BCGator, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
Dear expat_in,

Thank you for your review and for staying with us. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the Radisson Hotel Vancouver Airport on future trips to the Vancouver area.

Oakville, Canada
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Our Family of 4 stayed at the Radisson for 8 days and enjoyed the beds, rooms, location. right next door to the sky train (No noise) Right next door to 3 malls and lots of parking. Food in restarant was great along with the service.

Room Tip: Sleep number beds are great
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
BCGator, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, September 6, 2011
Dear sglgbg,

Thank you for staying with us, it was a pleasure to have you stay with us. We look forward to being able to welcome you back.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I used my free night to stay there for a family trip during the weekend. The hotel room is not big but very nice. There is a mall next to it with super market and food court. Very inexpensive Chinese food.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
BCGator, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
Dear sjmtravel,

Thank you for staying with us, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Radisson Hotel Vancouver Hotel.

Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed August 30, 2011

From the outside this hotel looks the part with its blue glass curved facade and inside, the lobby is suitably grand with the de rigueur soft piano music filtering from the bar. It is also very well situated just a stone’s throw from the Canada Line station, while vehicle owners can use the complimentary parking just in front of the lobby (if they can find a space). Check in was prompt but we soon found out that our reservation voucher didn’t specify the king bed option we’d asked for and the receptionist was intransigent (“we’re full”) so we ended up with two queen beds which would have been fine had we not been travelling with four large cases. Our room on the third floor overlooked (virtually at eye level) the gravelly hotel lobby roof, not that it mattered much as we were staying just one night. Less happily one of the beside light bulbs didn’t work and neither did the screen on the bed’s firmness control (so I never did find out how the most popular No.35 setting felt), and the bathroom came with hairs from previous tenants but no shampoo and whoever had restocked the coffee machine had forgotten to leave creamer. These are but quibbles, but we had been expecting better and we rather regretted not staying at the more modest and much less grand, but cheaper and friendlier Days Inn just down the road, which is where we’ll be heading next time we’re in the Vancouver airport area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wucie
Dear wucie,

Thank you staying with us and for your comments. We are very sorry for the issues you encountered. We hope that you let us know of the issues so we could make it right for you while you were here.

There are still websites and agencies out there that only confirm a room and not a specific type of beds. When booking online at Radisson.com, you can always confirm the type of room and bed you would like and also book the best available rate for your stay.