“Absolutely the best hotel I have ever stayed in”

Fairmont Vancouver Airport
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 25, 2011

Had to stay here because my flight was cancelled. I was greeted at the stairs going up to the hotel and taken up there by the doorman, who was charming. Got a discount on the room because it was late and wow, when I opened the door - LOVED the room. Large bathroom, bath separate to shower, closed off toilet room, very large mirror, one sink, granite counter. Huge bedroom with desk. I liked how you could control all the lights by hitting one switch or separately. Comfortable bed and nice cotton sheets. Huge window to look at airport, worried it would be noisy but no, not until about 7 a.m. then jets but really pretty quiet considering. I loved this hotel and would likely stop over in Vancouver just to go there for a treat. Way nicer than any in Montreal, Toronto or others in Vancouver. Would have liked free internet.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,219)

Reviewed February 25, 2011

Well, the stay was good, where I was received on the departure level, my bags taken off and I went for check-in. It was just an overnight transit, leaving early the next morning, and with a quick checkin I went to my room. Ordered room service, the fries were slightly lacking, but nothing horrible. The one complaint I have is that the telephone service acted as a central hub of some sorts, and it was really annoying to get around that. The service was in general good, just one minor complaint, there was no soap in my bathroom, had to request it twice. Also, I asked for them to take my room service, and they never did citing that I didn't leave it outside. This is the first time I have seen this attitude, but I saw it again later in the Redmond Marriott so figured this is natural for Canadian/US Hotels.

As I was in a Fairmont Gold Room, I got the free shoe polish done, but I wasn't allowed to take my breakfast in the public restaurant, only in the club lounge. That was annoying as I was the only one in during that time, so it took a while for the staff to realize I was there, also when you are traveling solo, it's always nice to see other people. Check-out was pleasant, taxi was called for and I was off.

Overall pleasant stay with minor service inconvenience

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 12, 2011

This place is the perfect option for someone who has an early flight out of Vancouver International. Entry to the hotel is via the inside of the airport so you can get out of bed early in the morning and walk to your check in counter without having to worry about taxis, traffic, bad weather, etc. Rooms are beautiful. Ours faced north with a great view of the planes landing. We had a telescope in our room so we could get a great look to the mountains on the North shore. Nice touch! Not the cheapest place to stay but we got the government employee rate which shaved $70 off our bill. Room was spacious with a great variety of pillows. Even though it overlooks the runway it is quiet and we had no trouble getting a good night's sleep. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2011

An absolutely beautiful hotel. I didn't get a chance to visit the spa due to timing but the rooms are spacious, luxurious, the room service quick and reasonable with much selection and the bathroom was equipped with the biggest/longest tub I've ever been in. That worked out well since I didn't get a chance to visit the spa :)

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 1, 2011

I agree with most of the reviews about this hotel. It is a very convenient and extremely clean facility. Strong 4.5* hotel which just happened to be at the airport.
Negative: restaurant very expensive. Standard breakfast is $30 !?
Even the wireless internet in your room is $15 ?

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 26, 2011

The Fairmont at the airport is an unbeatable place to stay before and after a long flight. Check in was quick and efficient and our room was large with big bed that sure looked good after a long flight. Everything was spotless and beautifully furnished with a wide desk, comfortable chairs and a telescope to watch the planes landing and taking off. We had a room service meal and it was delicious, piping hot,, little pots of butter and condiments and very satisfying. Breakfast downstairs was relaxing in a large open setting. Staff were attentive and I had one of the best omelettes ever made in a restaurant. I would recommend the Fairmont Airport Hotel to anyone travelling out of Vancouver. It is a little expensive but well worth it.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2011

I've stayed at airport hotels before for convenience always with the expectation of hearing a plane every other minute- not the case at the Fairmont. Room length glass windows a great view of the action if you're on the runway side. The room was plenty spacious with a very large bathroom featuring a nice tub, separate shower and enclosed toilet. The tub has shutters next to it so you can look out into you're room if you are so inclined.

The high tech room control panel on the nightstand is a nice feature to easily control lights, tv, and temp but you can't see the buttons at night. The bed was quite comfortable as expected. The one downfall was the mold in the bathroom, some wall paper was peeling as well- odd for such a new property.

John at the bar downstairs was wonderful to speak with and he makes an excellent martini. To my surprise the "classic martini" was vodka but I didn't send it back after a sip, it was that good.

I'd stay again, located right above the international departures, perfect for those with early morning flights after a few days in Whistler.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
FairmontYVR, Manager at Fairmont Vancouver Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent experience. We appreciate your comments regarding the washroom, we take this very seriously and please be assured your feedback has been shared with our Executive Housekeeper. We are pleased to advise that we are currently in the process of deep cleaning all of our guest floor washrooms.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding John in our Jetside Lounge. We look forward to welcoming you back on any future visits Vancouver.