“Best airport hotel in the world for many good reasons!”

Fairmont Vancouver Airport
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersSilver level
Nanaimo, Canada
“Best airport hotel in the world for many good reasons!”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

This is BY FAR our favourite airport hotel & for so many reasons: luxurious bedding (good sleep is #1), location -inside the airport, well appointed room - open, soundproof, & spacious, wonderful bathtub (& separate shower) & bathroom amenities, the "airplane-shaped" cookies are always welcome, too! Staff are super helpful, friendly & professional & there's an excellent gym & spa...nothing lacking here.

Room Tip: We prefer the floor to ceiling view of the runways & snow capped mountains...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We had to catch a really early flight and coming from the island we had to park our car. The hotel offers a great package option to park the car and stay. We did that ... and it was the perfect start to a long journey.

We kicked back in their lovely lounge with fire places and had a few drinks and snacks before bed and just felt so comfortable and relaxed. The check in was easy and even parking wasn't too bad.

The easiest thing to do is pull in where the valet parking is and let them know you're checking in. Go in, check in, drop off your bags and then move your car to the parking lot which is essentially across the bridge but is a bit of a walk with bags.

In the morning we took the elevator right down to the check in area! Perfection.

The rooms are REALLY comfortable and it's pretty cool to open up the curtain and look at the airport ... planes coming in and parking. I suppose it could be noisy in the day but we were up at 5am and it was quiet.

The bathroom was so cool. There was lots of space. I took advantage of the tub - which was so comfortable and had a little pre-trip relaxation.

I can't tell you too much more about their facilities as we were in and out fairly quickly but I will definitely be back at this hotel if I fly through Vancouver with an early morning flight again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank RoadWarrior
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Wanted to stay at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport while waiting for my (very) late flight. Walked in and asked for the rate.

Fairly unfriendly receptionist quoted me CAD 99 (+tax) if I left before 8pm.

I was ok with the rate until I learned that it did not include Internet access. Really?

She said that I could use the free airport Internet by sitting in the lobby. Why would I pay for a room to sit in the hotel lobby?

I would have probably accepted the additional CAD 15 had the receptionist been friendlier. But she wasn't, and I did stay there.

3 Thank sermann
FairmontYVR, Director of Sales at Fairmont Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Dear Sermann,

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience with you - kindly contact the hotel and ask for the manager on duty at any time.

The Management team here at The Fairmont Vancouver Airport.
Yorba Linda, CA
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My daughter and I spent the day here afer getting off a southbound cruise from Seward to Vancouver. We took the train from the Vancouver Port and had nine hours to kill before our flight. The hotel is one floor up from the airline check in area. They offer day rates for the room and or the spa/health club (they have an indoor pool) which is really nice when you are stuck in the airport that long. We had intended to get a room but ended up hanging out in the Jetside Lounge all day. The couches were comfy and the view of the airport from the lounge was nice with tall glass windows to enjoy the natural sunlight. The drinks and food in the lounge were great. I had a mojito and the turkey club and both were above average for bar food. Granted it was a little pricey, but I appreciated the fact that the server let us linger all day and did not make us feel unwelcome.Thank you Carol, you will be the reason we get a room there next time and use the hotel as a "home base" for seeing Vancouver.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 14, 2012

If you must stay near the airport in Vancouver, stay here. By airport hotel standards it is amazing. By Fairmont hotel standards, it's got some work to do.

The rooms are lovely! This is a newer property so hasn't got the challenges of keeping an old building up to date. The rooms are modern and, at least on the Gold floor, large. The bathrooms (always a challenge in Fairmonts) are beautiful and big.

There is nifty console beside the bed from which you can control all lights, curtains (played with that for ages), music, alarms and temperature. Well, you could control the temperature if the heat worked. In my room, the heat didn't work. A visit from the "engineer" resulted in a new filter and much banging around in the ceiling but no heat. I'm not sure he understood that the problem was not with the heater but with the fan. The room never warmed up past 19C.

To the lounge! The Gold lounge is nice and if you like looking at airports, affords you a view of the international terminal ramp. The daily appetizers are better than Calgary's but still not up to the standard you'd see at the Hotel Vancouver or the Chateau Laurier. We have a brie and cranberry in puff pastry nibble that's pretty standard, but a bit greasy. There is chicken on a skewer that has been sitting out way too long for me to sample.

On the cold side there is a very tasty pastry cup with tiny grilled vegetables and very nice salad of beets and chevre with a light vinaigrette. The local smoked salmon is also very nice. The rest is a pretty dull, sad collection of crudite with dips and a few cheeses.

Breakfast was a small selection with some watery scrambled eggs and five (I counted) sausages in the bin. There were berries in a shot glass and a standard selection of fruit, yogurt and smoked salmon. Could be worse. But could be waaaaay better.

I don't know why this lounge has no computer to do things like print a boarding pass. Seeing as it's an airport hotel you'd think that would happen a lot. The staff are happy to print it for you or, if you'd rather not cough up your travel info, you can go to the business centre downstairs. Speaking of staff: they seem to be a bit scarce and need to be summoned by buttons from back rooms even during busy check-in and check-out periods.

The lobby is under some kind of renovation so the bar and the restaurant are in the same area. The service is terrific and the view of the airport is, well, the view of the airport.

Bottom line: If you must stay at the airport stay here but if you want a nice hotel stay at the Hotel Vancouver. It's not much more money but it's a much nicer stay.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I had a wonderful experienceat the Fairmont Vancouver Airport. From the Bellman who welcomed me on level 3 of the airport, who took my luggage, stored my perishables in the freezer and then delivered my luggage to the room, he was awesome! He went above and beyond to even introduce me to the ammenities of the room. The entire staff seemed to be knowledgable of what it took to give exemplary customer service. They all had sincere and cheeful smiles. They answered all my questions. I was very impressed when my first call to room service wasn't picked up after 4 rings ( I hung up to try again later), but someone immediately called my room back and assured me that someone from in-room dining would call me back and they did! Since I was travelling alone, it was a bit unweildy to cart 2 large suitcases plus my perishable's box back to the domestic end of the airport. However, one of the bellmen was free and gave me a lift in one of the hotel's cars. It is that type of service that makes an indelible mark on me. I It is these little attention to details that make a visit to this establishment a pleasure. The room service menu at late in the evening was limited, but the food was good. I would not hesitate to stay at your hotel again. Thanks again for a great visit!

Room Tip: Be prepared for a bit of walk if you arrive at the domestic terminal. With luggage it may take 10-15...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear PatRoth,

The team here at the Fairmont Vancouver AIrport would like to thank you kindly for writing such a lovely review on Trip Advisor. We will ensure to relay this information to our operations team and are pleased to hear that those small details really stood out. Please ensure to contact our reservations team upon your return to Vancouver International Airport as they would be delighted to assist with any reservation enquiries you may have.

Happy Holidays,

The Fairmont Vancouver Airport.
Lodi, California
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Recently I had the opportunity to stay at this hotel while I was traveling for business. It's a luxury hotel, with luxury prices, and luxury treatment; and for my purposes it was perfect. It’s situated right above the US departure terminal and the sound proofing is so good, I hardly heard the planes at all. It would not be my first choice if I was there on vacation to use it as a home base for my touring. After all you are at an airport with airport choices for foods with airport prices; however, the hotel has a nice restaurant. But if you wanted to get to downtown, there is a sky train station within easy walking distance. But as I was there just overnight and I had an early flight the next day; how cool it was to check-out of the hotel and just walk downstairs to the ticket counter to get my boarding pass. No shuttle, no parking, no fuss no, no muss.