“Beautiful hotel that charges you for EVERYTHING”

Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersSilver level
God's Country, Ontario
“Beautiful hotel that charges you for EVERYTHING”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel while business for three nights. I had hoped to check in early as I arrived early from Toronto and the conference did not begin until later in the afternoon. The staff was very pleasant and accommodating. Though my room was not yet ready, they offered to store my bags for me until it was. I was able to check in a little bit later, still an early check in, without any difficulties. In general the hotel is nicely furnished and up to date in it's appearance and appeal.

Once up in my room I was impressed by the cleanliness, the class and the updated feel of the room - lots of dark wood and modern office furniture. I appreciated the built in wardrobe for clothes and coats. The office chair was very comfortable and the desk was the proper height for working on a laptop. The bathroom was impeccably clean and very well lit. The beds were simply incredible! Very luxurious - a tad soft for my liking - but, I slept like a baby!

The conference rooms are nicely appointed though some were hard to find. This hotel basically has three different conference areas. Be sure to get a map from the front desk. The largest conference area is on the far side of the hotel. The other two extend off the hallways on either side of the front desk with some on the second floor. Also, the food provided during our conference was very good.

The small outdoor pool and pool area was well maintained and very clean, much like the rest of the hotel. Unfortunately, the hot tub was anything but - more of a lukewarm tub with very weak pressure in the jets.

The staff - front desk staff, cleaning staff, gift shop clerk, were always very friendly, accommodating and helpful and made for an overall great experience.

**Disclaimer** - I'm not generally accustomed to going on business trips and staying at business oriented hotels so I may be totally ignorant as to what to expect when staying at a business oriented hotel. So, keep that in mind when reading the following.

Once in my room I noticed a bottle of water sitting beside the TV. Feeling a little parched I picked it up and thought, "how nice of the hotel to provide bottled water." But, then I read the tag . . . it was nearly $5.00! Tap water never tasted so good, LOL! Then I went to connect to the wireless internet. I was offered the opportunity to purchase access for approximately $8.00 / day with a declining rate for multiple days. "Hmmmmm" I thought, "maybe if I just plug the firewire in it will be free." Nope, still the same rate. Confused, I headed down to the front desk. I can understand charging people who aren't registered at the hotel for internet usage; but, for a business class hotel to charge people staying at their hotel? The friendly staff explained that all was in order and then offered a solution . . . for that week only I could become an elite / preferred member of the Sheraton hotel chain (for free) and receive my internet for free for the duration of my stay. Being an internet junkie how could I say, "no"? So, as I said in my disclaimer, perhaps I am ignorant of the standards for business travel and business oriented hotels. I was simply surprised and unimpressed at not only being charged for things that tend to be included in a room fee; but, charged so much.

That being said, it is a beautiful hotel with great staff. If I were to travel to Vancouver on vacation would I stay here? Probably not. The extra, exorbitant charges left a bad taste in my mouth. However, if I'm traveling back to Vancouver on business on some one else's dime, then sure!

Room Tip: Only a handful of room face the pool area. The rest point out at the concrete jungle. Also, don...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MikeDSpike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Alert Bay, Canada
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I was glad to find a nice hotel that accepted pets. Room 268 was a fair size and had a balcony so the dog could get fresh air. The rrom looks over the parking lot, but we were just there for one night. The room was loud as the air-conditioner machine was just outside the balcony door. The beds were soft, which was appreciated, and the pillows were thick and comfortable. I was a bit surprised to have to pay for parking and for the internet.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I came for my trip to Vancity from Atlanta on a starhot (employee rate).Sometimes we as employees dont get the best service when we go to other Starwood properties but this one by far exceeded any preconcieved notions I had. I must say that I work for a W property and the compaints we have from our guests never was an issue here. The housekeeper did an AWESOME job keeping the room and the facilites impeccably clean. The fitness room is huge and state of the art looking. Andrea and Sue from guest services rocked any questions or concerns I had. The service in the restaurant is bar none, plus they have a buffet in the morning which I loved. Its walking distance from a skytrain station so I never rented a car to get around the city.
I cant wait to come back and stay with you all and thanks again!

Room Tip: ask for a high floor away from the pool
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Ashley P
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed at the Sheraton Airport in Richmond for two nights on July 20-22. Although the hotel style is a bit dated, think modern 1970's, the room with a kingsize bed was very comfortable and well maintained. The hotel is located adjacent to highrise Marriot and Hilton hotels, so the views are limited. Staff were friendly and helpful. The room was very quiet.

It's a 10 min walk to the Richmond Olympic Oval and the walking paths along the Fraser River which is a plus. It's a 5 minute walk to the Canada line rapid transit station for very easy access to downtown Vancouver.

A major dislike is that Sheraton nickles and dimes for services which should be included in the room rates. $20/day for parking and $10/day for in room Wi-fi service, $5 for 500 ml of bottled water leaves one feeling gouged.

I did book through Hotwire and got the room for $80/night which is a great deal, as the other hotel search engines, including the Sheraton reservation site, produced quotes of $220/night for the same room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank WestcoastPeter
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My third bus stay here. A recent reno makes this a great place. Was a hot weekd and had a great time in there outdoor patio for a few bus mtgs with some cold brewskies. Food OK but apps a bit high on fatty side..

Club Lounge Very good. Great set up and v good brekkie

Starbucks in lobby rocks

Gift shop has neat stuff but an Inuit inspired vest at a very reasonable price

Rooms spacious

Shuttle to airport v convenient

Key beefs. And there's not lot: need healthier apps; no printer to print boarding pass. Really. Iits an airport hotel. Got a parking ticket for overnight parking....nreally, I had paid for the parking on my hotel bill

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Once again our family was priviledged to have the opportunity to stay at the Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel. Though the hotel was incredibly busy, the Sheraton team led by manager David and Mack each one treat the guests with every courtesy and make the weary travellors feel like they have come home. The Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel is a jewel for comfort and refreshing to body and spirit. Every time we stay we look forward to our next visit which is the greatest compliment a staff and hotel can receive.

Room Tip: Every room we have had is exceptional; you will always win when you choose the Sheraton Vancouver Ai...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

Very spacious rooms, fabulously comfy beds, fridge, microwave, and refreshingly friendly, helpful staff. A great experience!

• Stayed July 2012