“Such a good deal.”

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I booked "stay, park, fly" arrangement for one night's sleep and one week of parking for $149.00 plus tax. I was greeted by intelligent, friendly staff and directed to a very secure, fenced and gated parking lot. The room was clean, spacious and equipped with a nice big flat screen t.v., internet access, comfy bed, and ample work space. Costco is across the street. The hotel offers a fine self serve breakfast...eggs, bacon, cereal, fruit, yogurt, bagels, pancakes and more. Get your coffee at Starbucks. Good location to airport...timely shuttle.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank delriorods

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We had a 1am arrival from the airport to this property. The shuttle from the airport was timely and a welcome sight at this time of day. The room was clean and quiet. This was a plus because the freeway ran nearby. The morning breakfast was tasty. They had a good selection of foods and even had a "make your own pancake machine". Not much to walk to from this location. It's a go place if you need an airport location. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Packers-forever
Reviewed August 11, 2013

For this reviewer, an airport hotel is generally not my choice for a vacation base, but it serves a particular purpose for accommodating late night or early morning flights or layovers. Given these parameters, the HIE at YVR served its purpose well. A timely shuttle outside the arrivals area was the first step to a speedy check-in. I appreciated the security of having to use my room key to access the elevator. The room was clean and nicely appointed. Most important, the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom spotless. I liked the toiletries from Bath and Body Works. Breakfast buffet had something for everyone with both hot and cold selections. The hotel is located next door to Costco so wasn't surprised that Kirkland brand giant cinnamon rolls were served (and they were delicious). If Vancouver wasn't a wonderfully walkable city, I would consider staying here for an entire vacation.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank suzyqmalamute
Hotelmanager5, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Vancouver Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Suzyqmalamute,

Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent stay with our hotel. I am very pleased to read you noticed the extra care, and pride, our team take in maintaining our hotel. Our new shuttle service, which began during your stay, has been warmly received yet leaving our guests very cool during these hot days with the air conditioning. The cinnamon buns are a signature of all Holiday Inn Express and are not from Costco. They are very good and available at any of IHG's Holiday Inn Express hotels. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to the Vancouver/Richmond area.

Stephen Crann
Hotel Manager

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Had to do an emergency trip to Vancouver. we couldn't get any rooms in Vancouver due to Gay Pride week, and celebration of fireworks I think its called. but were lucky to get a room here; The skytrain is very handy, and the rooms are good, large and clean, and they have a breakfast buff. which worked out perfect for us. I think they have a pool and weight room. but we never made use of them. The staff is top notched.. would recommend it..

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cariboo.b.c.
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed in Holiday Inn Express Vancouver Airport twice in July for my holiday. Check in was fast and the room is clean and spacious. Everything in the room is up to the standard except I don't like the coffee maker being placed inside the bathroom. I just don't feel right about it. I travel solo, so I can take my time enjoy the breakfast in the morning before I started my tour. The breakfast room is spacious and have enough sitting for everyone. They even have a little outdoor area for the guest to enjoy their breakfast which other Holiday Inn Express in Vancouver and Burnaby do not have. Morning with the nice weather with breath of fresh air , enjoy the hot coffee and complimentary newspaper was very relaxing. The breakfast include hot items like scramble egg, sausage and bacon which provided in every other day. There are warm cinnamom rolls and other pastry as well. Although it is almost the end of breakfast hours, the foods still being refilled quickly.Staff worked very fast to clean up the table and I have seem the manager gave them a hand during the breakfast rush. Hotel do left the breakfast room open 24 hours and there are coffee, tea and cookies for the guest. The location of the hotel is convenient, about 10 minutes walk to the nearby skytrain station. But there are not much else in the neighbourhood. There is a family restaurant(Moxie), A&W which close early, 24 hrs Tim Horton and that's it. Regarding the computer in business centre, the operating platform in the computer is not user friendly. Pass word provided is for the internet browsing and print out only. There is a time limit of 10 minutes and it will lock out automaticaly when time is up. You will lose whatever you have on the computer. Also, the computer only support English characters. As a result, the guest cannot read web page or email in foreign language character. Other Holiday Inn Express in Vancouver provide the guest with free usage of the computer without any time limit and much more user friendly. Anyway, if the price is right, I would still consider this hotel as my primary choice for my next visit to Vancouver.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher than third floor, otherwise there are not much view. After a day of tour, make...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Albert C
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Executive summary: Misleading information provided about "free" airport shuttle, rude staff, very unpleasant experience.

I missed a connection in Vancouver and needed a place to shower and rest for a few hours before my next flight the following morning. I picked this hotel based primarily on the "24 hour free airport shuttle" they advertise. Before booking I called the company's hotline and spoke to a woman who confirmed the property did have a shuttle available 24 hours. I then called the front desk just to be safe - this was my main criteria for choosing the hotel and I wanted to be sure.

Eddy, the hotel's front desk staff, was friendly and even jovial when I called to confirm the shuttle. He explained that the shuttle service ends at 12:30am, but not to worry because the hotel would provide me with a taxi voucher for a free ride to the airport in the morning. He went so far as to identify the type of cab (Richmond red taxi) and said I would get the voucher when I checked in.

Arriving after midnight, I had a brief 4 hours to rest at the hotel before heading back to the airport. Eddy was again friendly at check in, remembering my name from the phone call, explaining what refreshments would be available (muffins and coffee before 6), and getting me set up with a 4am wake up call. So far so good.

I assumed that the taxi voucher Eddy mentioned was in the envelope with the room key, but when I got to the room it was nowhere to be found. Tired and not wanting to walk back down to the lobby I took Eddy at his word and decided to just go to bed and get the voucher from him in the morning.

Fast forward to 4:18am, back in the lobby. Eddy has suddenly never seen me before, having no recollection of our two conversations just hours before. He flatly declares that no taxi vouchers are given after 4am and that I can just wait for the free shuttle coming at 4:45. I reference the details of our recent conversations in a futile attempt to remind him of what he had promised, both over the phone and in person. Eddy becomes rude and dismissive, refusing to acknowledge any memory of those conversations and blaming me for missing the 4:15 shuttle that had just departed. I protest that I could have easily caught that shuttle had I been informed of it, but Eddy holds his ground and becomes progressively more rude. Finally I give up and ask him to phone a taxi for me - paid for out of pocket so as not to miss my 6am flight.

All in all a totally unacceptable experience at this property. Bad enough that I will avoid this brand altogether in the future, and advise anyone to stay away from this property at Vancouver airport. Pick one of the many other options available instead.

• Stayed: August 2013
7  Thank Ryan F
Hotelmanager5, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Vancouver Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

RyanF -

I sincerely apologize for the concerns you had with our new team member Eddie. Although it was only his second shift on his own, his knowledge of the hotel and area (inclusive of the shuttle) are not on par with the rest of Guest Service Agent team. The goal for all our staff is to be 100% responsive to all our guest needs, so I am very disappointed to read your comments. I have printed your review and will use your comments to demonstrate the need of better communication. I can assure you this is not our normal level of service and is very much the exception, not the rule. I hope we (and the Brand) have an opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel(s) for a positive experience our guests have come to expect. Should you wish to discuss your stay with us with me, I encourage you to contact me directly anytime.

Stephen Crann
Hotel Manager

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Needed a hotel close to the airport as we had an early morning flight but alo one that offered breakfast and was good value for money. This hotel fitted the bill. Our check in was friendly and our room was spacious with two double beds.
The room was very quite didn't hear planes at all.
Although not alot around there is a Tim Horton's one block away which provided fresh sandwiches and etc. The skytrain is a 10 min walk away and only 25 mins to down town Vancouver. Located next door to the skytrain is the River Rock Casino Hotel that had a restaurant which overlooked the marina.
The Champagne that I ordered for the BF from Australia was delivered to the room after a little reminder but no affect on the surprise.
Would stay here again if I was again in vancouver and needed a hotel close to the airport.
They also paid our cab fare as we were toooooo early for the airport shuttle bus.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple