“Clean, quiet, quick”

Holiday Inn Express Vancouver Airport
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We arrived in to the hotel late and it was a quick easy check in so we were happy about that. The room was clean and quiet so again, very happy. The only possible negative would be the breakfast. Although there were 'hot' items they weren't hot and there seemed to be a lot of kids pawing everything. Neither were very appetizing. But on the plus side the airport shuttle was reliable and easy to use and checkout was just as speedy!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Given our location on Vancouver Island we are not able to reach Vancouver Airport for an early flight unless we stay the previous night in Vancouver. We have experimented over the years of our travels with various locations, and this one is by far the favourite.
The shuttle service to and from the airport is convenient and reliable, the desk staff are always friendly, helpful and happy, and even if we need to leave before the full breakfast is available, there is juice, coffee, baked goods, fruit [even scrambled eggs] on tap at 6am - just time to eat and take the 6.15 shuttle.
The rooms are well insulated and have good blackout curtains - essential near the airport.
Free Wi-Fi in the room is quick - wake-up calls come right on time.
And, the price is right.
We will return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lesalone
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Excellent hotel for airport stopover or day before trip location.
- Hotel is 10 mins from the airport but the regular shuttle bus service takes care of all needs; after the scheduled morning to noon services, you can request a time to suit your required take off schedule.
- Hotel is excellent and up to the high standard of H.I. Express one expects.
- Room very comfortable and quiet. Appreciated the Globe&Mail paper outside my door in the morning.
- Appreciated the Free WiFi connection throughout the hotel.
- Biggest and best fully Gym room I've ever enjoyed in a HI Express,
- Breakfast room was really good with usual good selection of hot eats and even blueberry yoghurt!
- Handy covered free carparking as well but register with front desk.
- Front Desk staf Eric was most helpful and efficient in checking in and explaining and answered all my question.
- Hotel is 2 mins directly across from Costco if you have any particular items to stock up pre/post flight!
Overall, highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I was wondering how this overnight side-venture would pan out, trying to get from Vancouver island to a hotel in Richmond, park the car in longterm parking, stay the night and fly out early the next day. I was thinking there could be glitches in some part of the stay but everything worked out seamlessly for our stay. Quick check in, underground temporary parking until we were ready to put the vehicle in long term, quiet night sleep and quick shuttle the next day, which took definately under 10 minutes to get to the airport. On the return from our holiday we caught the shuttle back, which comes every 1/2 hr at the shuttle pick up area of the airport. Back to the hotel and grabbed our vehicle to head off. Smooth sailing!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Excellent medium priced hotel, close to the airport and offers free shuttle service.
It is welcoming and comfortable. I travel and stay at this hotel on every occasion. Over the years of being a regular guest, I have never encountered a problem at all.
I highly recommend.

Room Tip: Hotel is pet friendly
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 19, 2013

True, it's not cheap, but Vancouver hotels are a little pricey if you want a decent room. This place is pretty basic (no restaurant) but the rooms themselves are quite modern and well-appointed. No complaints.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Leave it to my hometown to get the worst review I've ever left on Trip Advisor to date.

Typically when I fly out early in the AM, I just leave home really early and park at the long term lot at the airport. This time, I had a REALLY early flight (needed a 4am check-in) so I decided to book a hotel with a Park and Stay package. Looks like I made the wrong choice.

$129. + tax for a 6 hour stay was a rip-off, to say the least. Why not offer deals like other hotels do, where the shorter amount of time you stay, the less you are charged? Unfortunately, price was the problem with this place. It was service and poor communication.

Okay - maybe it's the fact that my flights were outside the free-shuttle period. Maybe staff aren't trained very well to deal with this?

When I checked-in, I told the clerk that I needed a 3:30am shuttle. She told me, "Oh, we don't have shuttles then. You'll have to take a taxi.". Long silence. Then I say, "Ummm...but your website says '24 hour shuttle' " and her reply, "I know. But our shuttle doesn't start till after 4am". Another long silence. I am just about say, "What? You mean I have to pay for a taxi?". THEN, the guy behind me in line goes, "Oh hey, they pay for the taxi, you know" and then I go, "OH! Well, thanks, GUY IN LINE, for telling me something SHE should have said first" and then I point to the clueless Asian lady that's looking all confused and still desperately trying to figure out what she did wrong. Really? REALLY?

Then came the part when I asked what to do with my car (yes, I had to ASK). She told me to park in the short-term parkade, bring my stuff in my room, then come back and move my car into the long-term parkade. I'm like, "What? It's 9pm. I need to get up at 3am. Can't I just park my car there now?" and she goes, "Well, it's just hard to wheel luggage from there because the parking lot is gravel". I say, "So? Could I just park my car there now, please" and she screws up her face and sighs, "Okay". She gets her coat on and escorts us out there. She unlocks a gate, we go in and park (of course, she doesn't direct us where to park, I have to ASK "Anywhere?"...sigh).

I ask a different person at the front desk what to do when we return. They say call for a shuttle when we arrive. Again, I have to ASK what the latest shuttle time is, as our flight is arriving at 12:45am. She says, "The last shuttle is 12:30, so you'll need to get a taxi". Silence. Then I say, "So....do I need to call a special taxi that you deal with? Or can I use ANY taxi and you guys pay?". Reply: "Any taxi is fine". Okay.....I ask again, "How do I pay?". Reply: "You can pay yourself and get reimbursed, or just have us pay the taxi when you arrive - just as long as it's under $15"). Nice to have decisive answers...sigh again...

Day of arrival back at home comes. Plane gets in at 12:40am. We get in a taxi and go to the hotel. I tell the driver the hotel will pay. He gives me a dirty look. We all go inside the lobby. There are two clerks. I say, "I parked my car here - stayed on Thursday night, and now I am picking it up. I had to take a taxi from the airport and he needs to be paid". Silence. Funny looks. "You didn't pay him first?". "Ummm...no, I was told you could pay him directly. I don't have any cash". Reply: "Do you need an ATM?". I say, "Ummm NO, I need YOU to pay HIM". They do. It's all very uncomfortable and unprofessional. Then clerk #1 says, "I can't find her". He taps away on his computer. Then clerk #1 says, "What did you say your name was?". I tell him and repeat that I stayed and parked on Thursday night. Reply: "Hmmm...I can't find you. Can you write your name down". I do. Plus I write down the date that I stayed and parked my car. Then after a few beats, clerk #2 says, "Oh, are you picking up your car?". I almost lost my mind. Are you freaking kidding me? Am I watching Dumb and Dumber? He sends a security guard to go unlock the gate. Before I walk out, I say out loud, "This was the single worst hotel experience I've ever had, you know". Blank stares. Nothing. No response. I figured they needed to identify me prior to letting me go into the parkade. Apparently, they were looking for my reservation. I guess they missed the 'I am picking up my car comment' and 'I stayed on Thursday and parked' comment I made twice. Seriously?

As a side note: the parking lot was SMALL. SUPER small. So tight that I could barely get my mid-sized car out of it's spot. Cars parked along the side of the lot - making it hard for anyone to navigate.

So - maybe you aren't parking? Maybe just staying? Think again. This hotel has vending machines at the end of each hall. RIGHT outside the door where some guests are staying. In all my years, and the 100+ hotels I've stayed at, I've NEVER seen this. Not even at a Motel 6. We were getting some snacks and water for the next morning, and a guy opened his room door and told us to quiet down. Yeah, I'll get right on that. Let's start with the management moving the vending machines to a more isolated area.

Needless to say, I will never stay at this hotel again. With so many choices in the area, and the option for me NOT to stay anywhere the night before my flight, why bother?

Room Tip: Do not stay here unless you can guarantee you don't get a room beside the vending machine! Do no...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Pokee
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Vancouver Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear Pokee,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Krysllin G.