“Clean place to crash before / after a flight”

Holiday Inn Express Vancouver Airport
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed February 19, 2013

True, it's not cheap, but Vancouver hotels are a little pricey if you want a decent room. This place is pretty basic (no restaurant) but the rooms themselves are quite modern and well-appointed. No complaints.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Leave it to my hometown to get the worst review I've ever left on Trip Advisor to date.

Typically when I fly out early in the AM, I just leave home really early and park at the long term lot at the airport. This time, I had a REALLY early flight (needed a 4am check-in) so I decided to book a hotel with a Park and Stay package. Looks like I made the wrong choice.

$129. + tax for a 6 hour stay was a rip-off, to say the least. Why not offer deals like other hotels do, where the shorter amount of time you stay, the less you are charged? Unfortunately, price was the problem with this place. It was service and poor communication.

Okay - maybe it's the fact that my flights were outside the free-shuttle period. Maybe staff aren't trained very well to deal with this?

When I checked-in, I told the clerk that I needed a 3:30am shuttle. She told me, "Oh, we don't have shuttles then. You'll have to take a taxi.". Long silence. Then I say, "Ummm...but your website says '24 hour shuttle' " and her reply, "I know. But our shuttle doesn't start till after 4am". Another long silence. I am just about say, "What? You mean I have to pay for a taxi?". THEN, the guy behind me in line goes, "Oh hey, they pay for the taxi, you know" and then I go, "OH! Well, thanks, GUY IN LINE, for telling me something SHE should have said first" and then I point to the clueless Asian lady that's looking all confused and still desperately trying to figure out what she did wrong. Really? REALLY?

Then came the part when I asked what to do with my car (yes, I had to ASK). She told me to park in the short-term parkade, bring my stuff in my room, then come back and move my car into the long-term parkade. I'm like, "What? It's 9pm. I need to get up at 3am. Can't I just park my car there now?" and she goes, "Well, it's just hard to wheel luggage from there because the parking lot is gravel". I say, "So? Could I just park my car there now, please" and she screws up her face and sighs, "Okay". She gets her coat on and escorts us out there. She unlocks a gate, we go in and park (of course, she doesn't direct us where to park, I have to ASK "Anywhere?"...sigh).

I ask a different person at the front desk what to do when we return. They say call for a shuttle when we arrive. Again, I have to ASK what the latest shuttle time is, as our flight is arriving at 12:45am. She says, "The last shuttle is 12:30, so you'll need to get a taxi". Silence. Then I say, "So....do I need to call a special taxi that you deal with? Or can I use ANY taxi and you guys pay?". Reply: "Any taxi is fine". Okay.....I ask again, "How do I pay?". Reply: "You can pay yourself and get reimbursed, or just have us pay the taxi when you arrive - just as long as it's under $15"). Nice to have decisive answers...sigh again...

Day of arrival back at home comes. Plane gets in at 12:40am. We get in a taxi and go to the hotel. I tell the driver the hotel will pay. He gives me a dirty look. We all go inside the lobby. There are two clerks. I say, "I parked my car here - stayed on Thursday night, and now I am picking it up. I had to take a taxi from the airport and he needs to be paid". Silence. Funny looks. "You didn't pay him first?". "Ummm...no, I was told you could pay him directly. I don't have any cash". Reply: "Do you need an ATM?". I say, "Ummm NO, I need YOU to pay HIM". They do. It's all very uncomfortable and unprofessional. Then clerk #1 says, "I can't find her". He taps away on his computer. Then clerk #1 says, "What did you say your name was?". I tell him and repeat that I stayed and parked on Thursday night. Reply: "Hmmm...I can't find you. Can you write your name down". I do. Plus I write down the date that I stayed and parked my car. Then after a few beats, clerk #2 says, "Oh, are you picking up your car?". I almost lost my mind. Are you freaking kidding me? Am I watching Dumb and Dumber? He sends a security guard to go unlock the gate. Before I walk out, I say out loud, "This was the single worst hotel experience I've ever had, you know". Blank stares. Nothing. No response. I figured they needed to identify me prior to letting me go into the parkade. Apparently, they were looking for my reservation. I guess they missed the 'I am picking up my car comment' and 'I stayed on Thursday and parked' comment I made twice. Seriously?

As a side note: the parking lot was SMALL. SUPER small. So tight that I could barely get my mid-sized car out of it's spot. Cars parked along the side of the lot - making it hard for anyone to navigate.

So - maybe you aren't parking? Maybe just staying? Think again. This hotel has vending machines at the end of each hall. RIGHT outside the door where some guests are staying. In all my years, and the 100+ hotels I've stayed at, I've NEVER seen this. Not even at a Motel 6. We were getting some snacks and water for the next morning, and a guy opened his room door and told us to quiet down. Yeah, I'll get right on that. Let's start with the management moving the vending machines to a more isolated area.

Needless to say, I will never stay at this hotel again. With so many choices in the area, and the option for me NOT to stay anywhere the night before my flight, why bother?

Room Tip: Do not stay here unless you can guarantee you don't get a room beside the vending machine! Do no...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Pokee
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Vancouver Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear Pokee,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 31, 2013

A must to stay. Enjoy meeting the friendly staff, special person, Rose! For 7 years we have gone there to stay and enjoy the welcome back each time. We do long stay 2 week parking there and stay one night before our flights or cruises. and one night on the way back. Wonderful full hot breakfast, complimentary open always for coffee as well. Television in Breakfast lounge, newspapers daily for your convience, underground parking. no cost. Shutle to the Casino or a short walk. Great location! Good shuttle to the Airport and back. Love the Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms are good size, 2 queens are lovely for us. lots of room in the suites. Upper floors are good...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Hotelmanager5, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Vancouver Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Buncy,

It has and always will be a pleasure to welcome you to our hotel. The entire staff and I appreciate your continued support of our hotel. See you on your next visit.

Stephen

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed here in late 2012 for a weekend using a Hotwire rate. Upon check-in, I asked the night clerk for a parking pass. She issued one, without indicating that there was a charge for parking. Apparently the hotel also has a policy for waiving parking charges for Priority Club platinum members, which I found out after the fact, but the night clerk did not bother asking me whether I may have been a Priority Club member.

No receipt was provided upon checkout and no receipt was provided overnight "under the door". Upon checkout, the front desk clerk said "you are all set".

It was only a few days after did I find out I was charged for parking by looking at my credit card charges. I called the hotel and gave them every opportunity to reverse the charges but they refused.

I do acknowledge that the Hotwire confirmation indicates a parking charge of $5, but it should not be buried in the fine print. Not issuing a receipt for the parking charges, in addition to all the opportunities I gave the hotel to "right the wrong", would lead me to a ranking of 0/5, but Tripadvisor requires at least a 1/5 ranking (and that is the only reason that the hotel even deserved a "1").

Let me emphasize - it is not the dollar value that has led to this rating, but the poor service and poor manner in which the hotel dealt with my issue. The hotel manager, S, can use a lesson or two about customer service.

(Also, the heat had not been working in the room and needed the repairman to fix. The drain in the bathroom was slow. The pancake machine in the breakfast room does not work half the time.)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mudd_stuffin

Mudd_Stuffin

I apologize the over night charges for parking were not properly articulated to you upon check in. The five dollar over night parking charge, does not apply to any valued Priority Club Members. Certain room rates offered at our hotel, do not include parking, such as the Hotwire rate you had selected. You are correct in that the "fine print" should not be so "fine", but we are unable to control how information about our hotel is displayed on third party websites. I apologize you were did not receive a receipt for the parking charge and will encourage to contact me directly to provide you a copy. We do hope to welcome you back to our hotel again in the near future!

Stephen Crann
Holiday Inn Express Vancouver Airport

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We reserved 2 rooms at this property for the weekend as we were visiting family in Vancouver. The location was very convenient for where we needed to be. As a Platinum Priority Club member, my wife and I had our room upgraded at check-in - that was a very nice touch and greatly appreciated! All in all, an excellent hotel with excellent rooms. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: All rooms are away from highway 99 so noise is not really an issue
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Very nice rooms, very new-looking, comfortable bed. Great free breakfast buffet. Walking distance to a few restaurants or 5-min drive to all of Richmond and shopping. Sharp exterior and spacious parking.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CheChoui
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Vancouver Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear CheChoui,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We just flew out of Vancouver and needed a place to stay overnight and leave our car. I did a little research and found this hotel to be the best combination of quality, price and proximity to the airport. The shuttle runs every half hour, and its only an 7 minute journey. Returning from our trip, the courtesy shuttle had to drop off passengers at another Holiday Inn in Richmond before our hotel. It was a minor inconvenience. If you wanted missed the shuttle for some reason, a cab would be pretty cheap. The hotel itself was clean and quiet, and the breakfast better than I expected. Continental but with a surprising amount of choice. We`ll use this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank JohnnyATraveller
Hotelmanager5, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Vancouver Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

JohnnyATraveller -

Thank you for selecting our hotel to accommodate your hotel needs for your recent trip. The entire staff and I appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again.

Stephen