“Absolutely Amazing Airport Hotel”

Westin Wall Centre Vancouver Airport
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed October 22, 2010

As a platinum travelers with Continental airlines, Gold with American Airlines and silver with US airways and Platinum with Starwood I clearly travel a lot. I'm not easily impressed, Starwood hotels has always done the best for me.

I had the shocking pleasure of staying at The Westin Wall Centre, Vancouver Airport
10/15/2010 - 10/16/2010 when I missed the last flight out of Vancouver. The check in process was flawless, the staff amazingly kind and totally professional. My room was upgraded without request, to a suite, this is not uncommon with Starwood but this suite was over the top. The appointments and quality was absolutely noticeable. After traveling so much things often become less noticeable. The floor to ceiling glass windows with views of the city made me feel like I was on vacation.

I was really tired and not but decided not to order room service but to go to the restaurant in the hotel. I was amazed by the server, Justin Sparks and the quality and creativeness of the food by Chef Hamid Salimian. They accommodated my dairy free needs and went overboard making offer of menu modifications/suggestions. I finally left it up to the chef and he prepared a dish the was perfect on every level. I was so impressed I ask to meet him to thank him for accommodating my diary free needs but for making such an incredible dinner. I have never asked to speak with a chef at a hotel restaurant to compliment him. Everything at the property was hitting on all cylinders, guest rooms, staff intelligence, competency and knowledge. Hotel service, food and wine was 5 stars!!

This is only the 2nd time I've ever taken the time to write a review on trip advisor.

I still can't believe how impressed I was and that it was an airport hotel. The last trip to Vancouver I stayed at the Fairmont Pacific Rim which was very good, but not compared to the Westin Wall Center. The food and service went far beyond the Fairmont, your just not in the city, you’re at the airport. I know when I return to Vancouver I will stay at the airport Westin and go in to the city for my meetings.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Glenn44

Reviewed October 8, 2010

It was a gorgeous hotel! The rooms were very nice and very relaxing and calm. It looked very classy and elegant despite being the lower priced rooms.

The room service was amazing, the staff very helpful and accomodating.

The only thing was that it was in a weird industrial area that was kind of sketchy at night times and had a weird mill at the back of the hotel.

The walls were very thick, could not hear anything and you could scream and shout as much as you want (party!)

It was a fun stay, but I would definitely recommend having a car because you are in the end of nowhere.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Need a one night stay before an early flight and was able to pick this one up on Priceline for $95 - Tip: it's the only 4* Airport Hotel. Check in was quick and efficient. My parents had driven us there and were joining us for dinner so the valet parked their car for free. King room was spacious and modern. They even have the same bathroom sink as us! Shuttle to airport next day was right on time. When we need an airport hotel again we will stay here for sure.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank West_Coast_YVR
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Put me on spg 14th floor- great room - great bed/ shower/ Tv quality (Phillips). A few tips- use Airport shuttle at the second level of airport- comes every 20 mins. Use this to get around - and if you need to get to downtown - get the train from the Airport. Restaurant across the road - seafood was excellent - had maple salmon on cedar plank a bit pricey but worth it.
The work out area is a bit of a walk / so is the pool- all new equipment though! Business centre did not charge for airport check in

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Batoutofhell666
Reviewed September 14, 2010

I enjoyed staying at this hotel. It was new, clean, good staff. The parking was a little confusing and the hotel was a little of the path, but overall I wouldnt have any problems staying here again. Food was Westin standard- very good.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2010

I'd like to think I'm not too tough a critic overall in my travels and really wanted to like this hotel for what Westin represent but came away with a lukewarm impression.

The one night stay was strictly for business conferences held at the hotel over the better part of two days. The shuttle from the airport was said to be a 10 minute drive but that seemed a very conservative estimate as it seemed to be half that. The check in was quite efficient, friendly & professional and first impressions of the room were quite positive. I was in room 811 which came with one king bed, and one of the Heavenly variety at that, a large flat screen TV and a large bathroom with big shower stall and deep tub. The bureau below the TV has a fridge but nothing in it so you could buy your own beverages and put them in it and not have to worry about mini-bar prices or charges. The ipod docking station combination alarm clock seemed functional enough and with an unobtrusive display, not the huge red LED alarm clock display still seen at some hotels.

Having a few hours to kill I headed down to the fitness facility/pool to relax a little and liked the mordern approach of the facility, though it is a bit of a maze of corridors to eventually get to it. The lockers have no locks by the way so if you have one on your luggage it could come in handy in this unsupervised area (you need only use your room key to open a set of doors outside the locker area). After climbing in the jacuzzi and taking a few minutes to let the heat sink in I casually looked over to notice an unappealing flm just above the water line that looked like it had taken some time to build up. Maybe the unsupervised area isn't cleaned regularly. The last oddity of the facility was while it wasn't a huge area with a huge pool it was surrounded by only 3 loungers and two chairs so any group of friends of co-workers showing up together would have to do without seating or spead the towels out on the indoor pool deck.

After a good sleep I awoke to stumble into the bathroom suddenly short on time to run the bath for a quick soak only to notice no shampo on the vanity supplies which did include soap and body lotion. A quick scan found no around the tub so I called the concierge who promised shampoo would be run right up. 15 minutes later and I'm now out of time before the conference breakfast someone did knock on the door and I headed back into the bathroom to hop in the tub only notice the water that's filled up the deep tub is this brown colour which I thought at first was an optical illusion from the tiles on the ceiling and walls. Since I now had to time to soak I let the water go and jumped in the shower only to notice the shampoo sitting on the shower stall soap holder. I asked some of co-workers whether they'd done the same thing and with a chuckle 3 or 4 at my table admitted they had, though they were more prepared than me and had shampoo with them. It seemed a touch off but it was to some extent my fault for not checkin in the shower stall itself though maybe having two bottles, one in the stall and one on the vanity along with the fancy soap and body lotion would be a good idea for future guests.
As I was shaving and getting ready after stepping out of the shower, I looked over to see this brown film that was left on the tub I'd emptied of water so can only guess the cloudy, brownish colour was a local discolouration but it looked horrible and made me glad I hadn't bathed in that though probably got the same water in the shower.

The other issues I had with the hotel had more to do with conference planning and organization so as it doesn't relate to individual stays won't elaborate. Check out went smoothly and the complimentary airport shuttle shuttled me back to Vancouver International Airport for the return flight home.

This very new hotel has some issues to work on but I don't know whether it's because it is new and they are still working out some kinks or whether it's always like this. My one ight wasn't a long enough stay to get a complete sense of the hotel but the things I noticed didn't inspire me to go out of my way to stay here again. If pricing were often at the lowest prepaid rate, which is $129 + tax per night, I might return but sorry for $219 and the best available flexible rate I think I'd stay elsewhere as I don't feel it's that much of a value at that price.

eturning if the price was right but to me not as much at its regular pricing

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Stayed 1 night with my two teenage kids- had beautiful room with two super comfy queen beds. Would certainly recommend this hotel to others needing a place to stay by the airport.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family