“SPG Platinum members beware”

Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Toronto, Canada
“SPG Platinum members beware”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

stayed at the Westin Wall for 2 days on business. It is very close to the airport and it is a nice clean, comfortable hotel. As a SPG Platinum member I always receive so of sort of recognition. This is where I was disappointed with this hotel. Right from the check- in ( no dedicated Platnum desk just a sign) the was no apparent benefits for Platinum Members. The front desk agent even whispers to me and asked if bonus points were okay for my welcome bonus as if he would offend others if they heard. Then when I received my room I was not given any sort of as upgrade. This rarely happens at any SPG hotel I stay at. When I questioned it I was told that there was so many Platinum guest there that the upgrade were all gone. Funny it was only 5:30 pm so I guess they all checked in early. I do not like it when first of all you have to ask if there is an upgrade ( this should be discussed with you right away on arrival) and then to be told again in a whisper that there we none available is a little shady. The is always an upgraded room available. I did not feel like a valued SPG Platinum member at this hotel. The Club lounge was not even open for evening hor deurves .( they did offer a coupon for the restaurant downstairs however we were not eating there ) SPG Platinum members should be aware of these things. Breakfast while expensive was very very good and the chef actually came out as asked if we liked it. Well done in this department.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have amuck nicer view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Ashley D, Manager at Westin Wall Centre Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your value feedback with us at the Westin Wall Centre. We are pleased to hear that you found the hotel to be very clean and comfortable. We greatly appreciate your feedback regarding our SPG benefits as it helps us determine areas in which we can improve rewarding you for your loyalty. Being a boutique sized hotel, we only have the demand for one check-in line, but assure a very quick check-in to our guests. In addition, based on our intimate size, we only feature 3 suites, which were unfortunately booked upon your arrival. We do our absolute best to upgrade platinum guests upon availability. The club lounge is open 7 days a week from 6:30 am- 11:00 pm; breakfast is served in the lounge on weekdays and in the restaurant on weekends; appetizers are served in our restaurant, The Apron, from 5:00 pm- 8:00 pm 7 days a week. We are delighted to hear that you indulged in our breakfast cuisine and received a special appearance from our Executive Chef. Thank you again for your feedback and we do hope you will stay with us again next time you are in the Vancouver Airport area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

A very nice, peaceful stay awaits you at the Wall Centre. The shuttle service to and from the airport was excellent, (pickup down on level 1 where all the shuttles are) and so appreciated. The room was clean and comfortable, and the beds lived up to all the hype. It is true about the bathroom lighting only coming on if the main room switch is on. No biggie when your by yourself but if your having an early morning shower and trying not to wake up your roomie it doesn't work.
Also I'd like to note that the room was very quiet, I didn't hear noise from other rooms or the hallway.

Dinner at the hotels restaurant was really, really great. The seafood linguine I ordered was the best I have ever had... so good I would make a special trip to the restaurant just to have it again. I wasn't quite sure what the menu meant with "white wine nectar" as the sauce, but once I had a taste of it, it all made perfect sense. Also there was a really nice lady working the bar/serving monday Feb 4th, she had an accent (possibly australian) it's a shame I can't remember her name. She created for me the best tequila cocktail I have ever had.... it needs to go on the menu! She went above and beyond with her service, what a great person to have on your team. *I know i've now said "the best I've ever had" twice - but it's true. It was a very memorable meal.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kamloops
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stayed week-end..excellent room, good service, great value. Didn't have a car so don't know about parking.

Front desk folks..exceptional and restaurant staff also

Breakfast food maybe a bit expensive, but good.

Separate shower from bath..great idea!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
WallCentre, Executive Office at Westin Wall Centre Vancouver Airport, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Good day Allan H,

Thank you very much for your review. We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience at the Westin and hope to see you back at the hotel should your travels bring you to the Richmond area.

Be well,
Shannon Teeft
Director of Revenue
steeft@wallcentre.com
Surrey, BC Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel while on my way out of town. Restaurant in the hotel is fantastic and the hotel is squeaky clean and still has the new feel. Another great property for the Starwood group.

• Stayed January 2013
Cancun, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was a business trip so the location did not matter, but in this case the Sky Train was only 10 minutes walking distance, the room was very nice and the "heavenly bed" quite comfortable, the fact to have free Wi Fi was also a plus.
receptionist Mercedes Ledezma was very professional and smile all the time, this kind of attitude is what it makes the difference, same happens in the restaurant I would like to praise waitress Christina, the quality of breakfast was great.

Room Tip: All rooms well appointed.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

The Richmond Westin Wall Center Vancouver hotel is located minutes away from the airport in what could politely be stated as an industrial area (read: not much around the hotel and it makes you wonder why the hotel is located here). In some respects, the 15 story building sticks out and doesn’t fit the “neighborhood”. There isn’t much within walking distance.

Getting there – there is a hotel shuttle that is shared with the hotel next to the Westin and runs FROM the airport on the hour and 30 after the hour. It runs TO the airport on the 15 and 45 minute mark. Alternatively, if you are coming from the city, you can take the “Canada Line” to Bridgeport station and walk about 10 to 15 minutes to the hotel.

This was one of the nicer airport hotels that I have been in recently, clean and seemingly recently built (~3 years old?). My room was an upgraded corner room, with floor to ceiling windows and a small kitchen area. For SPG Platinum members or people booked on the executive floor there is a small executive lounge on the 15th floor, with a very simple breakfast – essentially a continental breakfast with fruits, cereals and breads.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ordflyer
Good day ordflyer,

Thank you for your comments regarding the Westin Wall Centre Vancouver airport. We certainly value your feedback and are very happy to hear that you were able to benefit from your Starwood Preferred Guest membership benefits to receive a complimentary upgrade to our club floor.

Our proximity to the airport certainly is one of the prominent features, in addition to the fact that the hotel itself is one of the newer properties in the area.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again,

Be well,
Shannon Teeft
Director of Revenue
steeft@wallcentre.com
Abbotsford, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

My adult daughter and I had a lovely stay at the Westin Wall CentreVancouver Airport. The hotel was new, crisp and clean, and the location provided easy access to the airport. The room decor was lovely, and the bed "heavenly". Floor to ceiling windows provided a great view of Richmond. We were fortunate to have our own vehicle and the in/out parking at a cost of $20 was very convenient. A downside to the hotel would be if you do not have a vehicle, there is nowhere to walk for a meal/shopping.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends