“Nice, but lacking a few things”

Westin Wall Centre Vancouver Airport
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Canada
“Nice, but lacking a few things”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This is a newer property and some websites have it categorized as a 4*. I would give it 3* maybe 3.5* Got a great deal by way of that bidding website.

Rooms were typical for a higher end brand. Front desk had no problem accommodating our room location requests. Wi-Fi was included. Room doors do not have any kind of insulation to stop them from slamming, so from 6am on you hear every room door slamming shut on the metal frame. Really... how much would that have added to the bill when building this place?

The pool is...... different. You get off the elevator on the second floor and then work your way through some long corridors and then down a flight of stairs and then through some more corridors. Once you get there it is very nice as is the Fitness Facility and it all looks over the Fraser River. The other "different" part is it is shared with the condo owners in the building next door.

They have an airport shuttle but don't have an airline check in kiosk in the lobby. There is a small restaurant on site, which I did not try. With the exception of one restaurant across the street and a coffee shop in the seedy looking Clarion next door, it is a bit of a walk to anywhere. You can see the River Rock Casino and the Skytrain station from the hotel, but I'm not sure I'd do the 15 minute walk after dark.

For what we paid on the bidding website this place is super-duper! For what they want on their website, you do have many other good options like The Marriott YVR which is better located for walking to restaurants and shops.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wwTraveler1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Canada
Reviewed July 26, 2011

This is a fairly new hotel (opened in Jan 2010), very clean and modern design. Location is a little industrial mixed with a view of a marina. It's just 5 mins by shuttle from the airport. It feels quiet in this area at night but as a young female I felt safe walking around here. Noise was not a problem for me despite being close to the airport. My view was part of the marina and a real close up of the condos next door - I'll have to ask for a view next time.

I stayed here in mid-July 2011 and they were booked pretty solid during the week of my stay; I paid $167 per night before taxes. But even at the rate I paid at, I would definitely return here on my next visit to Richmond/Vancouver.

Great spacious bathroom with decent counter space. I loved the separate standup shower and deep soaker tub. The hair dryer is powerful - gotta love that! The rooms have this zen like modern decor - dark woods mixed with pops of grassy green. The sheets were clean though I didn't think they were the softest. I had great sleeps in the bed here. You get complimentary water and Starbucks coffee/tea in the room.

Bell hops were very friendly and knowledgeable. A shout out to Cody for all his suggestions - thanks!

The hotel is close to shopping (Aberdeen Centre - Asian mall) and restaurants on No. 3 Road, though it is nearly all Chinese except for the handful of national chains. By car it's just a minute or two, but if you're walking, maybe about 10-15 mins. If you want to be close to the sky train (Canada Line) on No. 3 Road and Cambie - go with the Radisson near there (but the reviews weren't great on cleanliness on trip advisor). So by foot, it's about a 15 min walk from the hotel to the sky train - not very far but not in close proximity either.

The one drawback of this place is that wifi is not free in your room (~$10 for 24 hrs). Free wifi is only available in the lobby so just ask the front desk for the access code. Also, as others have noted, parking is about $22 for valet and $15 self-park. I opted to park for free, there are no time restrictions on Corvette Way lining the new condos there.

Note: The airport shuttle came approximately on the hour and half hour to the airport. Shuttles from the hotel to the airport comes by the hotel at 15 mins past the hour and 45 mins past the hour.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I stayed at this hotel. I called ahead of time to verify I was getting upgraded. it did not happen. All the king beds face the highway. The quiet side of the hotel is queen beds. The rooms are noisy! The view is AWFUL PLEASE SEE PICTURE! They basically told me I have to live with what I got. They do not care whatsoever and are VERY RUDE! The hotel is new and the rooms are small. The bathrooms are large and nice. Bottom line I would NOT stay here again as it is in a seedy section with no view. NOT WORTH THE MONEY!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Geekontherun
Alberta
Reviewed July 24, 2011

This hotel is brand-new and a real gem if you are wanting to stay near the YVR hotel. I had a phenomenal room overlooking the rooftop garden. The restaurant has an amazing chef whose food is memorable and tasty.
The staff here goes the extra mile and they seem to love their jobs and take pride in service.
I cannot wait to go back when I am not on business and just enjoy the place!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Great place for business travellers and for those wanting to be close to the airport. Restaurant experience not the best. Our food was a cold by the time it arrived at our table.

Room Tip: We stayed at this hotel at the beginning and end of our trip. The corner rooms are quite spacious.
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Enjoyed our stay, excellent reception and allocated nicest room he could offer. Appreciated our need for a sleep after a long tiring flight. Bathroom nice. Clean looking hotel in all areas. Free shuttle buses takes you across to River Rock casino.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We booked this hotel knowing we'd need little more than a bed for the night before an early flight and it did provide the typically PERFECT Westin bed. The hotel and room decor were modern with a slight Asian twist. Very calming. Everything was in perfect condition, (except for a non-working bar refrigerator which we were too tired to even call about.) It was obvious everything was designed and provided with the traveler in mind. We found the staff friendly and professional - especially the bell staff. So......as much as I'd like to call this hotel excellent, the location was off-putting. Our view was of what appeared to be storage balconies from an adjoining condo complex, a few deserted buildings and a Candian Tire Center. It was an area that I'd feel uncomfortable walking even if there were somewhere to which I'd want to walk. It seemed to be a very blighted area with a first-class hotel planted in the middle of it all. Surely Starwood/Westin has deep enough pockets that it might consider buying up some of the abandoned lots and lease them out for a cafe or two. They really need to do SOMETHING.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple