“Could not be worse”

Steveston Seafood House
Reserve with OpenTable
Steveston Seafood House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 922 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Steveston
Cross street: No 1 Road
Transit: Take the 402, 407 or 410 from the Richmond Centre Mall. From downtown, take the 98 b line to Richmond Mall and transfer. From your hotel, ask your concierge.
Description: Situated in the heart of the largest fishing fleet in Canada in the historic fishing village of Steveston. Serving the freshest seafood in town this is Seafood dining at its finest. Consistently voted as Richmond's #1 Seafood restaurant, the Steveston Seafood House continues to be the favorite choice of Vancouver locals. Come see why the Steveston Seafood House continues to thrive after 40 years of hospitality. Fresh, local ingredients combined with innovative cooking techniques is what separates the Steveston Seafood House from the rest.
“Could not be worse”
Reviewed August 29, 2014

I am not used to write reviews but this time I felt it is necessary, and it is going to be an easy one.

We were sitted and waited for 10 minutes, do not know who is our server and were not given any menus. Had to ask someone to being us menu.

Got some water and bread, waited for another 10 minutes, no one spoke to us, we decided to not waste our time and left.

It was 19:30 on Friday and the restaurant was less than a quarter full.

4 Thank Isaac W
Shane D, Owner at Steveston Seafood House, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Hi Issac,

Would like to offer our sincere apologies on behalf of the staff for your disastrous and short experience with us. As we have already followed up directly with you we look forward to having you back soon for another chance. Thank you.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
“Best sablefish anywhere”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

There's so much that sounds amazing on this menu. I had the miso sablefish and my friend had the smoked black cod. Both were fantastic. We thought the sablefish was better than Bluewater Cafe and YEW restaurants, it was like butter and just full of flavour. We shared the apple pie afterwards. One nitpick, at $28 for two, the appetizer sampler was a bit of a rip-off for what you got. Next time I would just get a full appetizer instead.

• Visited August 2014
Shane D, Owner at Steveston Seafood House, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Although perhaps we're a little biased but we tend to agree that our Sablefish can't be beat. Hope to see you soon.
Vancouver BC
“The location, food and atmosphere are unbeatable.”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

I have dined at this restaurant many many times over the years as I live just a 15 minute bike ride away. It is still my favourite restaurant to go to - for a number of reasons. I absolutely love some of their key dishes - the sable fish, when in season, is to die for. Otherwise the wild salmon is fantastic as well as the balckened halibut. My son-in-law always wants the Thai seafood bowl when he is in town and says it is the best he has ever tasted.

I also really appreciate the fact that the restaurant provides a wide selection of sustainable seafood choices (you can see the logo on the menu items).

Besides the main courses, I also really enjoy the appetizers. The crab shrimp and avocado salad is my favourite, but I also really enjoy the beet and goat cheese salad.

If you are from out-of-town, this would be a perfect restaurant to visit after spending an afternoon in the iconic Steveston village.

• Visited July 2014
Hi Barbara,

Thanks for the wonderful feedback. The Seafood House prides itself on our Ocean Wise menu. Hopefully you'll be in for some fresh Sockeye, as the season is in full swing!
Abbotsford, Canada
“Pretty Darn Good”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

A company dinner that wasn't a disappointment.
The appetizer platter was excellent with a wide assortment of fresh seafood. The waitress serving us was most accommodating when the boss made specific requests. The Smoked Lox was Fantastic!
I ordered the Rack of Lamb with an assortment of vegetables, and again, a fantastic meal! The Lamb was cooked a perfect medium rare.
The only minor issue was the meals took a little longer than would have liked but with 9 people's plates coming out at the same time, hot and plated properly, it was truly a minor issue.
Would I go back with my wife for a nice dinner (driving in from Abbotsford), absolutely.

• Visited August 2014
Thanks for the feedback. We do try to accommodate requests to the best of our ability. Glad you enjoyed your meals and we look forward to having you and your wife in for dinner.
Toronto, Ontario
“They tried”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

So I feel bad about my review, but like a lot of people out there, we all rely upon reviews, so I feel it's my duty to explain my experience as I relied upon people's reviews here to choose this restaurant. Also I'm a foodie. I have high expectations on quality & taste. The ambiance doesn't matter as much to me as the quality of the food.

First Shane (I don't have my laptop's e-mail open so I can't confirm his name, but I think that's what it is) was a total sweetheart & tried to make things right, so I thank him for that.

I ordered 4 oysters which he forgot about so he brought them after the veal schnitzel. They were good, but very very tiny. I would have liked to see the outside of the shells washed more, as I got grit in my mouth 2-3 times.

The schnitzel was bland & over fried. I thought it would be light & fluffy which is how schnitzel should be cooked. I didn't necessarily expect the same quality & size of my grandmother's, but this is a fine dinning expensive restaurant.

I didn't like the side beet salad as it was too sweet. The veggies had no flavour to them & weren't cooked enough for me, but I understand fancy restaurants like to cook them al dente.

I told Shane about the bland overcooked schnitzel, so he made me a small piece of salmon that had 2 prawns on top.

The prawns were excellent & so was the salmon until I got to the middle where the scallops were. It was too salty or something was bitter inside or a combination of both. I couldn't finish it.

When I first arrived, another woman had complained about her dish being too salty & she also couldn't finish it.

I have to say I did expect more considering the rave reviews & the price, so maybe they were using a new chef or having an off day, I don't know, but this was one of those restaurants in the Stevenston Richmond area that proved to me the quality just isn't there in Richmond.

I was in Vancouver for 3 days of meals & only ONE impressed me, the rest did not. I thought Vancouver had top notch restaurants. Maybe they are there & I just didn't find them on this visit.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank sensualspirit
Shane D, Owner at Steveston Seafood House, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Hi Sensual spirit,

Apologies on behalf of the restaurant for not following through with an exceptional dining experience. When something is not up to standards we do try to our best to rectify the situation. More importantly, we aim to not even be in a position where apologies are necessary. I know you are from out of town but would love the opportunity to make things right if you're ever in the area. Please give us an email if you happen to be in the neighbourhood and hopefully we can get you in for another chance. info@stevestonseafoodhouse.com. Thanks