“good place for a family meal.”
Review of Shanghai River

Shanghai River
Ranked #14 of 977 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Centre
Reviewed August 25, 2014

we met up with family here for dinner over the w/e. we have a family history of eating Chinese food for special occasions, so that worked for us. there were only 7 of us so the large table that we sat at wasn't the best for conversation. we were the only Caucasians there, and it was packed and lively, so I would guess this is a popular place to go. we based the decision on trip advisor comments and access to rapid transit. tea was served quickly. a wide variety of food to choose from, and we were pleased with our selections. our service was good, once we had our dishes there really is no need for the server to hover. the lazy susan in the middle of the table works well for sharing the dishes of food. I caught her attention and was able to order a second glass of wine. alcoholic beverages are not commonly used in the Asian culture, so one has to be patient if ordering a second drink. we were quite happy with our evening and I would recommend this place for dinner!

Reviewed August 9, 2014

Chinese food is a dime a dozen in the Vancouver Lower Mainland. I was treated to soup dumplings by out of town family members.

Centrally located in Richmond, this restaurant is known for it handmade soup dumplings. You will see kitchen staff making these little packs of yumminess from behind a plexiglass window in the restaurant.

I preferred the pork soup dumplings more than the crab ones. The shanghai style stir fried noodles were also very tasty. They tend to go very light on the salt in the stir fried greens. The beef brisket and daikon broth was tasty, but they daikon could have been cooked a touch longer. I was tempted to try the huge home-made savory donuts, but was just too full.

There is a parking lot underneath the restaurant, and parking is free. However, the entrance is a bit tricky to find. Drive slowly and keep your eyes peeled.

Service was a bit slower than expected, but the food was indeed tasty and the price point appropriate for where they are located.

Not living in Richmond, I would certainly make a special trip to this place for lunch for sure. One piece of advice: please order what the restaurant is best known for, which are the soup dumplings, shanghai style noodles, and hot soy milk and savory donuts.

1  Thank WanderingTraveller8
Reviewed July 27, 2014

This is our first visit to this restaurant and found the food to be mediocre at best. Some of the food were overcooked and dry like the spareribs that we ordered. Others tasted bland and seem to have been on the shelve for some time. If the evaluation is straightly based on food, I will rate it as average. If service is considered then I will give it a poor rating considering the reputation that I have heard of the restaurant so far. Overall, the servers were cold and did not seemed to be interested in serving customers. They are all so nonchalant and seem to be there just to get paid.

2  Thank CalgaryTequilla
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We're U.S. east coasters vacationing in Vancouver, BC. On the last night we opted to stay at the Hilton Vancouver Airport hotel in Richmond. Our experience with airport hotels is that neighborhood dining places are usually very mediocre. This was not the case with the Shanghai River Restaurant only 2 blocks from the hotel. The food was great, portions were huge, and service terrific. Never tasted dumplings as flavorful and juicy as those served here.There were only two of us and we envied the many tables that had families and friends of 8 or more with the mountain of food in the center of the table. It was a great meal for our last evening in the Vancouver, BC area. Note - the Chinese restaurants in the Washington, DC area serve the courses in the classic manner - each course cleared before the next course served. Not so at Shanghai River - everything we ordered was served at the same time, making for a very crowded table and lots of fun trying all the items without waiting. It gets quite crowded and there are only a few small tables for 2 or 4, so a reservation is recommended.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Me and my family have been a regular customers here for over 4 years and the service is getting worse and worse. This review is based on our experience on today's visit.

1. The waitress served the food just right on the edge of the table without putting it in the centre of the table! This is really sucks because they just put it in front of a babe! My nephew only 1 year old and he almost grab the hot tea pot and hot plate when he saw the food! What kind of training did those servers received? and even without a training, do they ever have a common sense?

2. They don't change plates! we were here at 5:30 on Saturday, the dinner time just started and only 1/3 full in the restaurant, the food were served very quick. However, we finished 3 dishes and still no one change our plate which were super full! My husband has to ask them to change it! But they just simply take over our plate and chopsticks even we have told them we haven't finished! (we placed dessert order before we told them to change the plate)

3. They refused to return our cash payment. My mother in law paid $100 cash to the server and realized it's not enough, I told the waitress to give mom back the cash and I will pay by credit card. But she refused! without giving me a reason, she just refused me to pay the bill in full by credit card. I didn't insist, but just feel awful that this is the fist time it happened to me.

3  Thank MonkySpot