“Excellent Chinese”

Shanghai River
Ranked #16 of 902 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: City Centre
Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent Chinese”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

If you are staying near Vancouver airport, this restaurant is within walking distance of the Marriott and Hilton. Great decor, friendly and efficient service. We had an early dinner since we had a very early flight the next morning. The food was excellent - duck lettuce wrap was great! Way too much food - our fault since we ordered 3 entrees.

• Visited March 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
“Average food, Poor service.”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Visited the Shanghai River to celebrate our friend's 50th Birthday. Our first impression of the restaurant was "Damn this place must be good. There is a line up" Lucky for us I had reserved a table for 6. When I went in there was no one to even acknowledge us. When a person came in to pick up his phone I informed him that I had a reservation and he asked for my name and then told me that there was a 10 to 15 minute wait. I asked him why then did I make a reservation and he told me well now you get first preference when something becomes available and walked away. Thank you. Well within 10 minutes we were given a table and 2 menus were left there between the 6 of us. Being reasonable people we made do with it. We then had to wait another 20 minutes before we could get the attention of someone to take our orders. Orders taken the food arrived fairly promptly but the lady that brought the food was not the same that took our order and when we asked if the particular dish was veg or not she did not know and told us that she will send someone else. (You brought the dish and you don't know what you brought us)? Wierd. Any way the Dim Sum was nice but the fried rice was extra salty but when mixed with the other dishes we did not notice it too much. I then proceeded to ask anotehr waiter if they could arrange for a cake or some dessert to celebrate our friend's 50th B'day and all he said is "We don't do that". I told him I will pay I do not want it free and he said "We don't do that". Ok I get the point. Maybe this is how some communities do buisness on sheer volumes and not on professionalism. Well to each their own. Another fun fact was that we were the only Non chinese in the place at the time. Personally for me you will have to tie, gag and drag me to go to this place again. A Major Let down.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Jpart
Richmond, Canada
“Back End of Double Header: Round 2 - Dinner”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This restaurant is located on the edge of the Golden Village on Westminster Highway across the street from the Bay department store at Richmond Centre.

I had a craving for Peking duck and on recommendations from my spouse's co-worker we went to the Shanghai River restaurant.

After having lunch in the afternoon at the same restaurant, we came back for dinner at 7:00 PM with 2 other couples.

The restaurant was full.

We ended up ordering 6 dishes. The six dishes were satisfying; we were full but not “stuffed”.

Ordered the following:
• Steamed mince pork dumplings - $7.50
• Peking duck (course 1) – Duck skin with crepes – $35.80 for the 2 courses
• Peking duck (course 2) – Lettuce wrap with diced duck meat
• Hand-made noodles pan fried with pork – approx. $17
• Crispy rice with shrimp and vegetables – approx. $18
• Pea shoot tips with garlic – approx. $16

The steamed minced pork buns were the same as the ones served for lunch – juicy and tasty.

The Peking duck which I haven’t had in a few years was good. There were 11 or 12 crepes that came with the first course served with hoisin sauce, shrimp chips, scallions and cucumber strips. After using all the crepes there were 3-4 pieces of duck skin remaining.

The second course – the lettuce wrap came with only 6 pieces of lettuce. There was probably enough filling for 2 to 3 more leaves of lettuce.

The pan-fried noodles with pork were okay; similar to Shanghai noodles.

Crispy rice with shrimp and vegetables was okay. There could have been a bit more shrimp and vegetables for the amount of the crispy rice.

The pea tips with garlic were yummy.

The service was adequate although it did take some time for server to take our order. However, the wait was not too long.

The overall rating for food and service is somewhere between 3.5 and 4 out of 5.

Round One – see separate lunch review.

“Double Header”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Round 1 – Lunch

This restaurant is located on the edge of the Golden Village on Westminster Highway across the street from the Bay department store (Richmond Centre)

I had a craving for Peking duck and my wife’s co-worker recommended this restaurant. I went to make reservations and also have a look at the dinner menu as we were in the area. Since it was lunch time, we stayed for lunch.

We arrived around 11:30 on a Friday and it was not crowded. When we left after lunch the restaurant was full but no line up.

We ended up ordering 4 dishes and had leftovers.

Ordered the following:
• Steamed minced pork buns (8 pieces - $7.50)
• Braised beef in flaky pastry with sesame seeds (4 pieces - $7.50)
• Deep fried crispy tofu (8 pieces - $7.50)
• Sticky rice with spareribs ($8.95)

According to various reviews the steamed minced pork buns are highly rated. The buns were juicy and tasty.

The braised beef was a bit dry and could have been more flavourful.

The tofu was just okay - nothing spectacular; a bit bland.

The sticky rice & spareribs were okay. It was just plain steamed sticky rice. The spareribs were very tasty.

The service was adequate.

Round Two – Dinner review to follow.

Richmond, Canada
“Nice Decor, Average Food”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

The restaurant looks nice, has ample parking, is in downtown Richmond. However the food doesn't stand out compared to other Shanghai restaurants in Richmond. Found many dishes to be salty. The xiao long bao are big, and fairly solid. Generally on the pricey side for the quality of the food. Service was fine.

1 Thank NW_Dog