“Lovely venue”

Askham Hall Gardens and Cafe
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Askham
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy the gardens, relax in the Kitchen Garden Cafe and visit the animals. The gardens are full of interesting features including colourful terraces and herbaceous borders, formal lawns, kitchen gardens, woodlands, meadows and ponds. There are impressive views too and you can buy some plants to take home with you. At the Kitchen Garden Cafe you can enjoy coffee, cakes, light lunches including pizzas and other hot food from the outdoor wood-fired oven. Homemade ice-creams and cordials are also on the menu. We grow and rear as much of our own produce as possible for Askham Hall Cafe and our pub and restaurant the George and Dragon in nearby Clfton.You can meet the animals too in our special animal viewing area - including rare-breed pigs, goats and shorthorn cattle and soon, free-range chickens and ducks. And children can also enjoy the outdoor play area.
Reviewed April 2, 2013

It is a pleasure to see old farm buildings utilised and brought back to life and the Kitchen Garden Cafe at Askham Hall Gardens is just such a place. After a stroll around the lovely gardens at the hall nothing could be more perfect to finish off a visit than to enjoy morning coffee, light lunch or afternoon tea, in the converted buildings.

We visited on a very cold day and were welcomed by a lovely hot roaring stove fire, found excellent service and lovely food. The atmosphere is different and not tea-shoppy, you actually feel as though you are stepping back in time. I had a lovely coffee and delicious cake. I cannot comment on the main meals because we didn't try them but we will definitely be going back later in the summer to see how the gardens are developing and perhaps to enjoy lunch.

One can only wish the project well and I feel sure the venue will grow in popularity.

1  Thank CumbriaSef

Reviewed November 15, 2012

A nice couple of hours spent here. It is clearly newly opened (earlier this year apparently) so we had realistic expecations and it will no doubt improve more as things mature. Buildings are full of character and the cafe served a lovely cup of tea. The pigs are charming!

1  Thank TR300
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We did not visit the gardens here so we cannot comment on them.The lunch we had in the cafe was good.The food was hot ,tasty,came in a reasonable time and was well served.We will definitely go back

1  Thank snowy43
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Me and my wife discovered the place by accident. The stone baked pizza prepared by a friendly chef from Sardinia was just phenomenal! Definitely coming back!

The owners got everything spot on! Well done!

2  Thank ExplorerWorldUK
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We were a party of 4 adults and 2 kids who visited the gardens today (mid Sept.) All adults in attendance were in agreement that the gardens did not look maintained, there was very little in the way of 'herbaceous borders' (much better selection of herbs in my own garden) and in general there was very little to see for the price we paid to get in.

Thankfully the entrance fee was reduced as its Autumn/winter, but if I'd paid full price I'd have felt even more ripped off (normal entrance fee is a whopping £5.50 each.)
It took no time at all to walk around the place and I would not recommend it for kids. There is a tiny park with a swing and slide and as for the animals, there were farmyard animals of pigs and goats mainly which you could not touch or feed.

Even more insulting, we had brought a picnic with us and were told we were not allowed to eat our own food in the gardens. There was no signs up to say this and I felt it was handled very rudely by the staff. Their leafllet reads that it serves 'refreshments and light lunches' and I knew my kids would want something more substantial so I brought my own, thinking it would be lovely to have a picnic in the gardens. Nearby Lowther Castle and Gardens allows picnics as does Brougham Castle.

In general I would say we were all very disappointed as it's just not worth the money.

2  Thank Voy31
editor89, Owner at Askham Hall Gardens and Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Askham Hall and I’m very sorry to hear of your disappointing visit. With regards to the gardens, they are looked after by two full time gardeners who work incredibly hard and are extremely passionate about what they do. It is a large garden (12 acres) and as I’m sure you can appreciate – this size of garden takes a lot of time to keep on top of, especially when we’ve had such a poor summer and difficult to do certain jobs. It’s a never ending job and there are always things that need tending to. I’m surprised to hear about your comment on the herbaceous borders however, as there is not only a double one which is 230ft long, there is also another one on the bottom lawn – they are the most admired feature of the garden and certainly something we’re very proud of, but perhaps it was not what you were expecting in terms of style or perhaps it was just over its best when you visited. We have reduced the entrance fee throughout the autumn and winter to reflect this - the gardens are at their very best during the spring and summer but we feel there is still a lot to see and enjoy throughout these months which is why we’ve decided to keep it open for those who choose to enjoy it throughout the year. Our herbs in the kitchen garden are growing very well and we have a large selection that we use regularly at the café and our pub, the George and Dragon. We grow and rear our own produce and we thought it would be nice for people to be able to see the animals (as well as the fruit and vegetables) so we created an animal viewing area which includes a swing and climbing frame for children. I’m sorry to hear it was not up to your expectations. With regards to the picnic area, we have always had a sign saying ‘no picnicing’ which you mustn’t have seen. We have now put it in a more prominent place to avoid any confusion in the future. My apologies once again for your disappointing visit.