“Great Stay”

The Queens Head Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Askham B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Spent two nights here with my son and would recommend to anyone who wants comfortable pub accomodation with good food and beer.The staff were very friendly and helpful.When I asked if there was a local map,one of the owners made a special trip to her house and returned with a pile of guide books and maps.The village is very attractive and there are a range of pleasant walks from the front door.Unfortunately I didn't have my trunks but there is an open air heated swimming pool just round the back.There's a good range of food and real ales to savour at the end of the days activities.I was particularly impressed to get a properly cooked raw steak.Handy for the motorway and Haweswater is not far away.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Stayed here with my wife on our way to the Lake District in June 2013. Fantastic friendly service, excellent food, and the room was also quiet and peaceful. Only minor problem was the water tank for the toilet making a really loud noise as it filled up. Must be seperate from the rest of the system. Aside from that, we had a great stay and will be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed here for one night, arriving quite late. This is a very old building so some of the rooms are in keeping with that - a little snug, comfortable and well furnished with a modern shower room and everything you need. We needed to repack all our luggage so our hostess very kindly moved us to their larger family room which was nothing short of superb - a really incredible bathroom, a very comfortable bed with views over the village. I can't understand an earlier comment about the Chili - I had it and it was delicious - I couldn't finish it, the portion was huge. Breakfast was also lovely. Nothing was too much trouble here - the staff were friendly, really helpful and very welcoming. We will go back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Fabulous!I arrived earlier than my partner and instead of waiting in my room I went to the bar, had a couple of drinks and a meal. I felt like one of the locals! Everyone was so welcoming and friendly.The room was spacious and comfy and the shower was magnificent after my 10km assault course in the mud. Nothing was too much trouble and the food was lovely. I would definitely return and recommend to any of my friends and family

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Booked on Saturday 27.07.13 for a meal for my sons birthday. Wonderful food such friendly helpful staff could not have done more for us. The food was all excellent, pea salad just gorgeous, best onion rings & chips I've had in a long time. Good choice for starters, mains & desserts. Will certainly be paying another visit .

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We walked three miles from Clifton to the Queens Head on Saturday and enjoyed very tasty meals using fresh ingredients. Very reasonable and exceptionally good quality. Would recommend it and will be back. Mouthwatering desserts.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2013

First Class hotel.
Thourghlly enjoyed our stay here. Good value – not overly cheap – but good /excellent value. No more than 10 mins from A66 / M6, so nearly as handy as the travel lodge - but so much better. We stayed in the cheapest rooms – which are compact but everything is there and with a bit of organisation my wife and I managed happily - together with our 6 stone Rottweiler -for 3 nights. The rooms were well furnished with en-suite and the room could be accessed through the pub or from outside which was convenient. The Free WIFI had a strong signal in the room - although the limited time we spent accessing I can’t comment about the speed. We stayed B&B and the breakfast was excellent with breakfast time to suit the visitors.
For those who travel with their dogs, this hotel is not only pet tolerant but very welcoming to dogs and is geared up to ensure the dogs and the owners can enjoy their stay without the dogs presence being an issue for guests / patrons who don’t want to be with dogs.
The Pub seems popular for food and has a good selection of more English type food. A few more exotic options on the specials board -like snapper and various curries – but seems to have struck a good balance between the size and range of the menu and having the in house expertise to deliver all the dishes well. Again the prices were not Wetherspoons but not hugely more expensive, however the quality and portion size meant the food was excellent value. Walking round Ullswater – no restaurants / pubs in the area are cheap and the Queens head probably had some of the most reasonable prices we came across while in the lake district. There are not many options in the village for food and we had three main meals and two lunches – all very good as was the beer and wine. If you are in the area and wanted to go for just a pub dinner then it’s worth a visit even if you are not staying
The business side of things is very well organised and the owners were both friendly and efficient.
The village is very small but is only 4 miles from Pooley Bridge by road and just over an hours walk over the fells. We like Ullswater but the villages – Pooley Bridge and Glenridding are very crowded in the summer – the Village of Askham was very quiet, and while not on the lake -a very good option/alternative.
Overall – we had a very good time- and when in the area again would like to visit again.

Room Tip: Outdoor swimming pool next door - great in summer - for the brave other times of the year Lowther C...