“Warrior weekend”

Ranked #3 of 3 Askham B&B and Inns
Oldham
“Warrior weekend”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Fabulous!I arrived earlier than my partner and instead of waiting in my room I went to the bar, had a couple of drinks and a meal. I felt like one of the locals! Everyone was so welcoming and friendly.The room was spacious and comfy and the shower was magnificent after my 10km assault course in the mud. Nothing was too much trouble and the food was lovely. I would definitely return and recommend to any of my friends and family

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Bury St Edmunds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Booked on Saturday 27.07.13 for a meal for my sons birthday. Wonderful food such friendly helpful staff could not have done more for us. The food was all excellent, pea salad just gorgeous, best onion rings & chips I've had in a long time. Good choice for starters, mains & desserts. Will certainly be paying another visit .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We walked three miles from Clifton to the Queens Head on Saturday and enjoyed very tasty meals using fresh ingredients. Very reasonable and exceptionally good quality. Would recommend it and will be back. Mouthwatering desserts.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

First Class hotel.
Thourghlly enjoyed our stay here. Good value – not overly cheap – but good /excellent value. No more than 10 mins from A66 / M6, so nearly as handy as the travel lodge - but so much better. We stayed in the cheapest rooms – which are compact but everything is there and with a bit of organisation my wife and I managed happily - together with our 6 stone Rottweiler -for 3 nights. The rooms were well furnished with en-suite and the room could be accessed through the pub or from outside which was convenient. The Free WIFI had a strong signal in the room - although the limited time we spent accessing I can’t comment about the speed. We stayed B&B and the breakfast was excellent with breakfast time to suit the visitors.
For those who travel with their dogs, this hotel is not only pet tolerant but very welcoming to dogs and is geared up to ensure the dogs and the owners can enjoy their stay without the dogs presence being an issue for guests / patrons who don’t want to be with dogs.
The Pub seems popular for food and has a good selection of more English type food. A few more exotic options on the specials board -like snapper and various curries – but seems to have struck a good balance between the size and range of the menu and having the in house expertise to deliver all the dishes well. Again the prices were not Wetherspoons but not hugely more expensive, however the quality and portion size meant the food was excellent value. Walking round Ullswater – no restaurants / pubs in the area are cheap and the Queens head probably had some of the most reasonable prices we came across while in the lake district. There are not many options in the village for food and we had three main meals and two lunches – all very good as was the beer and wine. If you are in the area and wanted to go for just a pub dinner then it’s worth a visit even if you are not staying
The business side of things is very well organised and the owners were both friendly and efficient.
The village is very small but is only 4 miles from Pooley Bridge by road and just over an hours walk over the fells. We like Ullswater but the villages – Pooley Bridge and Glenridding are very crowded in the summer – the Village of Askham was very quiet, and while not on the lake -a very good option/alternative.
Overall – we had a very good time- and when in the area again would like to visit again.

Room Tip: Outdoor swimming pool next door - great in summer - for the brave other times of the year Lowther C...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I've been to the Queens Head in Askam a few times on my travels up to the lakes and really grew to love it. The bar staff are lovely and the place is a real gem. There's a great atmosphere in the bar and even a separate pool room.

It was my parents local when they were young and taking my family there meant it was turning into a bit of a tradition.

I'd never eaten there though until Sunday. We went as two couples with some dutch friends. They had lasagne and seared tuna. The lasagne was great, the tuna was a long way from great. It was massively overdone and somehow a third of it was jet black but soggy? We sent it back sighting our mutual concern but it was rebounded with the promise that it was fresh. My wife is a professional chef, one of her dishes is tuna so we knew that was rubbish but with the rebuff we didn't want to pursue and ruin the atmosphere so that bit was left.

My wife and I had the chilli. The chilli tasted great, I asked for mine spicy which I think is where I went wrong. My wife was quite ill during the night but I was completely incapacitated all of the next day. After decorating my grans flat I was confined to bed and bucket and I had to delay our trip back home for a day. The consequences of our delayed drive home can't really be blamed on the chilli but it certainly didn't help my sentiments!

To summarise, great pub, lovely bar staff but don't go till they've sacked the chef.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Ric M
QueensHeadAskham, Owner at The Queens Head Inn, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Well first of all I would like to thank you for your slanderous title " Food Poisoning" it is an extremely serious allegation to make against a food outlet, and for encouraging us to sack our fantastic chef. We noticed that on the day in question you ate ALL of the Tuna that you ordered and going back through our records of the day we sold nine Chilli con Carne's, five of them to local people, we have contacted them all and not one of them had any adverse effects whatsoever, and all throughly enjoyed there food. Reader only have to look back through our previous reviews, on here and on our restaurant listing to see what other reviewers have to say. Maybe when you are next in the village visiting your grandparents you would like to call in and have a chat about it.
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We have just completed our 2nd stay at The Queens Head accompanied by our dog Harvey and we can't speak highly enough about out hosts Eileen and John who looked after all of us wonderfully well on both occasions. We received a warm welcome, enjoyed good homemade cooking in cosy pub surroundings complete with real fire. The bedrooms were comfortable and we slept well on each visit. It is fair to say that Eileen & John couldn't do enough for us. One example is that on our first visit we asked for Campari & Soda, Eileen apologised that she didn't stock the aperitif but would make sure it was there on our return visit - we are pleased to report it was behind the bar. It is such attention to detail that means we have already booked later in the year. We wish them every success!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Very friendly staff and owners. Very Comfortable accomodation.
Excellent food and wine.
Excellent surrounding sceneries. Those kin on walking expeditions, can do short walks or long walks. Nearby beutiful Ullwater lake side drive/walk.
Memorable experience. Hope to repeat the experience.
There is no swimming pool but leasure centres are not too far.

Room Tip: Access to rooms fron nearby car park is helpful.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Askham
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater
Brantwood Country Hotel
Brantwood Country Hotel
#7 of 10 in Penrith

Been to The Queens Head Inn? Share your experiences!