“Fantastic!”

The Queens Head Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Askham B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at the Queens head on Sunday (bank holiday weekend) We had a lovely time from the moment we arrived to the moment we left,very friendly homely atmosphere.The evening entertainment was brilliant,you couldn't help but sing along! and the food was superb.Best Sunday roast I have had in a long time,the breakfast next morning was just as enjoyable.Lovely fresh coffee,cereal,fresh orange and then a full English breakfast with toast.The staff were very helpful,our breakfast was cooked to perfection.Looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Queens Head Inn

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed at the Queens 3/5/13 and what a lovely warm welcome we received. A VERY dog friendly place which is hard to find, we were even given the larger room to accomodate us & our 2 dogs. Eileen could not do enough for us and when we left something at tne hotel it was no trouble to send it back to us. We eat in the hotel & for pub food it was very good, an exceptionally good breakfast too. A beautiful village very close to Lowther country park, a great place to explore the north lakes or a stopover on the way to Scotland. Payba vist you will be very well looked after ;0))

Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and could not have been happier, the staff are superb - making us feel at home and could not do enough to help our stay be so enjoyable.
We were staying to attend a wedding reception at the the near by Knipe Hall, The Queens Head was perfect with it's location in the picturesque village of Askham.
The well stocked bar with excellent beers on tap made for a lovely first evening, comfortable rooms and a very nicely decorated dining room, the icing on the cake really was the breakfast...easily rated as one of the best breakfasts I've had the pleasure to enjoy.
Thank you...We will be back again!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dan85_13
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We booked just one night (Friday) as a birthday treat and the hotel far exceeded our expectations. PIcture the drive through the Lakes and on through the grounds of a beautiful estate with castle as you drop down into Askham. The Inn has ample parking and even through we arrived later than expected they had kept our table booking for dinner.
The welcome was warm and friendly and the room just perfect - a little small but let's say cosy with enough cushions on the bed to serve a small army. The bed was soooo comfortable and the shower great.
We enjoyed an evening in the resturant - amazing food very well priced and then on into the bar where we won a bottle of wine for coming last in the pub quiz - the locals of Askham are very wise!! The open fire was divine!
Next morning breakfast was huge and beautiful and all in all it was a wonderful stay where we were made to feel very welcome.
Not a great choice of toilettries so take your own.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vicky C
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I had intended to have lunch in Penrith, but was diverted to The Queens Head by the sign on the board outside saying 'Award Winning Chef.' I wasn't disappointed. The dee-fried Brie in Beer Batter on a bed of lettuce and berry sauce was delicious (and very well presented, if that matters to you.) The main course of Chicken Balti was good, if not up to the standard of a good Indian Restaurant, but my dessert of Eton Mess was again excellent - the best I've tasted.
Service was efficient and very friendly - when a fellow diner had no mango chutney for his curry, the owner went out to the shop to buy some. Real Ale was available, but here, as elsewhere, it's disappointing that there was nothing stronger than 4%. So, great food, and I'll be back. If only all pubs and pub food were this good, pubs would not be closing across the country.
If only all pubs and pub food

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We have just returned from a short weekend visit, and our experience was so lovely it was defintiely worth sharing. Limited by the choice of hotels we could consider due to only wanting one night, and having two children and two dogs, we stumbled across the Queens Head Inn by chance. However, it turned out to be our great fortune, as we had a lovely stay there. We were nervous because although by far of the majority of reviews were very good, there was one in particular that was not. We decided to 'take a chance' and booked it anyway - and were so glad that we did. The welcome was so warm (including to the dogs), all the staff very friendly and helpful. And, to top it all, the beer was great and the food was absolutely outstanding. They also have Sky TV which was perfect for the weekend sport, and a games room with a pool table that kept our two young boys well entertained. So, whereas we booked believing we would just use the accommodation as a base camp, in the end we spent almost all of our time there - enjoying every meal, exploring the village, and also enjoying a great walk through the village over to Pooley Bridge on the edge of Ullswater. The Queens Head gave us absolutely everything that we needed, at a reasonable price, and we certainly shall be going back.

Room Tip: The family room was very generous in that it would comfortably sleep a family of five.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 7, 2013

What can I say. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Queens Head. I've known the pub for the last 3 years. The first two years it was my local, as I lived in Askham. The past year it has been a meeting place for my friends and I when I come up to visit. This time it was my home for 3 days. John and Eileen are great hosts and run a great establishment. Breakfasts were great. I'm not one for a full English every day, so I asked for poached eggs on toast. Not a problem. Perfectly poached eggs on toast, fresh coffee, orange juice, extra toast and cereal. Set me up for the day nicely. The room was lovely and cosy and clean. Finally and probably most importantly as a single female traveller I felt totally safe on my own in my room. Something I haven't always felt at other B&Bs. Thank you for a great stay!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank MontyMoog
Also consider these accommodations in or near Askham
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Edenhall Country House Hotel
Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel
Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Pooley Bridge

Been to The Queens Head Inn? Share your experiences!