The Queens Head Inn
$104
$100
Howtown Hotel(Howtown)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe pubsky sportswarm welcomelovely atmospherewell worth a visitan evening mealcooked to perfectionweekend breakvillagealelandlordullswaterhaweswaterlakelandpunchbowl
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 7, 2013

What can I say. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Queens Head. I've known the pub for the last 3 years. The first two years it was my local, as I lived in Askham. The past year it has been a meeting place for my friends and I when I come up to visit. This time it was my home for 3 days. John and Eileen are great hosts and run a great establishment. Breakfasts were great. I'm not one for a full English every day, so I asked for poached eggs on toast. Not a problem. Perfectly poached eggs on toast, fresh coffee, orange juice, extra toast and cereal. Set me up for the day nicely. The room was lovely and cosy and clean. Finally and probably most importantly as a single female traveller I felt totally safe on my own in my room. Something I haven't always felt at other B&Bs. Thank you for a great stay!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank MontyMoog
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed here for one night to do some walking in the hills. Was in the Tan room which must have been refurbished since the review below as I did not see any mould in the shower and the bed was comfortable. Yes, room is on the small side but this is a traditional country pub and so this should be viewed as part of it's charm.Came back from a day in the hills, had a hearty meal and a few pints of local ale before getting an early night. Slept like a log, no noise at all. Owners very accomodating and friendly without being in your face. Would stay here again as it's a great location, really nice country pub and the owners clearly care about their guests.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed over with our dog, owners were away, but staff very welcoming and friendly. Lovely cosy bar with log fire and good food at decent prices. Bedroom let it down, small and needed a makeover - bedroom overpriced for what it offered. We would consider staying again as overall a nice experience and a beautiful village and countryside.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2013

After battling through the snow we were met with a warm welcome and were provided with a panel heater (without asking) to supplement the radiator on the wall and make the room cosy. Fortunately meals are served till 9pm and we enjoyed really good food and some proper real ale. The bar is frequented by locals and the atmosphere was friendly around a well kept log fire.
Breakfasts are fit for a king and will keep you going for the rest of the day. Already thinking about returning and doing some walking around Haweswater or over to Ulswater. A trip to Penrith or over to Keswick is easily done, with Lowther park/castle within walking distance. No negatives worth a mention.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Lovely weekend with great food. We were advised when we booked there would be a birthday party during our stay (nice touch) but the noise from the party was irrelevant. On a very cold weekend the staff bent over backwards to keep the room warm. Only slight problem was the fact you couldnt get WiFi in the room but then again when they built the Inn in the 17th century Wi Fi reception wasnt a priority.

• Stayed: January 2013