“Friendly attentive service in an envoirenment full of character”

The Queens Head Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Askham B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Lovely weekend with great food. We were advised when we booked there would be a birthday party during our stay (nice touch) but the noise from the party was irrelevant. On a very cold weekend the staff bent over backwards to keep the room warm. Only slight problem was the fact you couldnt get WiFi in the room but then again when they built the Inn in the 17th century Wi Fi reception wasnt a priority.

• Stayed: January 2013

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We booked a romantic night away for a break from the kids between Christmas and New Year and really wished we had just stayed at home, We were both really looking forward to a nice meal and a relaxing time, however this was not going to happen here. When we first walked in we loved it, lovely beams and cosy bar area however we were so disappointed when we saw the room, We booked the Lowther Suite thinking with a name like that it was going to be the best room, we walked in and the room was just freezing, and nothing special really, we decided to just turn on the radiator and go and get something to eat, so we went down to the bar area and asked for a menu, the guy behind the bar informed us that the only food available was on the board but when we looked there was only four or five things and nothing that niether us really wanted, so we decided not to eat there and instead to go for a drive and look for somewhere else, we went back up to the room to get a few bits and when we walked in we realised that the room really had not started to warm up, we touched the radiator and it was freezing, my partner prefers it cold but it was even too cold for him, I just said to him that there was no way I could stay if it was that cold, we asked the guy on the bar about it and he said he would get someone to sort it out when they arrived for work, we asked if we could go to a smaller room as we thought that it would maybe be a little bit warmer than the bigger room but he just repeated that somone would be in to sort it out later. Surely when you know guests are staying in a room you would warm the room up for them ?? It was also advertised as having free wi-fi and yes it is free but probably because you cant get it, certainly not in the Lowther Suite, we walked around the hallway to find a connection but this just get dropping, we decided to leave and try and find somewhere else, we had paid £120.00 for this room and that just included breakfast, and we have stayed in a lot of places and this really was not worth the money at all, £120 for a cold room, we could not have our money back as the guy on the bar was not allowed to do refunds, I would never recommend this for anyone looking for a nice romantic night away, we were very lucky that day to find someone else on such short notice, Branwood Country Hotel was £99 for dinner bed and breakfast and the room was warm, We are not the picky kind but we were very disappointed with the Queens Head Inn and the lack of warmth.

Room Tip: The Lowther Suite is a very cold room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Gail197301
Reviewed November 20, 2012

First of all Askham is a beautiful little village at the edge of the Lake District. Having been there in Summer and a rainy Autumn, I can say that the both experiences have their positives. The countryside is beautiful and there are great walks along public footpaths over the fields where you can get lovely lake views.
I have been to the Queens Head a couple of times (staying overnight there only once) and it is very atmospheric with a wonderful bar and toasty warm fire on cool evenings. Definitely worth a visit whenever you are in the area.
As some people have noted in the reviews here and under the restaurant section, the current management are new to this property though I understand they have been in the village many years and at one time ran the only other pub / hotel in Askham. I believe both pubs are owned by investment companies like many hostelry institutions in the UK these days, so perhaps this influences some of the facilities / operations. I found the current proprietors to be very nice and helpful.

As to the rooms. Well I stayed in the Tan room mentioned by another reviewer below (probably when it was run by a previous team) and I sort of understand some of the comments. The room is pretty small and dominated by the bed. The bathroom and in fact the whole room was very clean - no problems there. But like many very old buildings in the UK, when you try to update facilities I am sure it is just plain tough to do it and it can rarely turn out to be as convenient as a purpose built hotel. Note the stairs are steep - again an old building. I am not excusing it - just explaining the way these old buildings can be - I have stayed in quite a few old pubs in the Lake district and they all seem to have similar failings. The proprietors were installing a new TV in the room, the day I arrived which was nice but It would help to have some bedside tables / lights since the only light was in the center of the ceiling. There is no light switch next to the bed and when I got up in the middle of a very dark night dark I tripped over my bag several times. The room rate was very good. Note when I was there (Oct 2012) but note the website was still left over from previous management when I went so check directly with them for details such as food, etc.

All in all I was happy with my experience and I definitiely recommend you visit the Queens Head if only to eat and have a pint. By the way there is one house offering Bed and Breakfast accommodation in Askham but I can never find them online. I saw the place so they are still there halfway down the main (street?) towards the church. They were great last time I stayed but that was a few years ago and as we know anything can change.

Room Tip: Maybe ask to look at them before choosing?
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This charming pub has been entered twice on tripadvisor (one as a restaurant) so I have put my full review of the lovely time we had here on the other entry. The pub has fairly recently been taken over and looks like they have making some improvements too.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Should have realised when other local restaurants were full and we got a table here without problem. Boring menu and food no more than adequate. I had steak and ale cobbler. Absolutely tasteless. Chips were good. Wouldn't recommend it and wouldn't go back. Had run out of two if the items at 7pm in a Saturday. Don't waste your time or money

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Music233
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Stumbled upon this place whilst looking for somewhere to have a meal. Friendly staff, lovely pub and the food was delicious we had homemade burger which was just that very large and tasty,steak and ale pie which is probvably the best steak and ale pie that if ever had from a pub we had side orders of garlic bread and onion rings and the onion rings were also the best we have ever had from a pub. Good pint of lager aswell. We was not expecting the food to be as lovely a it was and when we got the bill we were very surprised as it all come to well under £20 for everything which was a real bonus. I would recommend it to anyone looking for some good grub and drinks on a budget.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We were given the TAN room, the poxiest little room you have ever seen at £80 a pop. The bathroom was a disgrace, the shower was covered in black mould. The bed had collapsed in the middle and guarantees a sleepless night. As if the staff new you would get no sleep they kindly play loud music a 2am to help you pass the time. The food was just ok but nothing special. My advice stay well clear.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Geoff Y
Also consider these accommodations in or near Askham
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Travelodge Penrith
Travelodge Penrith
#9 of 11 in Penrith
Punchbowl Inn
Punchbowl Inn
#2 of 3 in Askham

Been to The Queens Head Inn? Share your experiences!