“stay at your risk” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Coburg B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“stay at your risk”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

my friend and I stayed here for 3 nights . After checing in , we went for a bite to eat , came back and found a personal belongings had been stolen. We went to the manager and he said there was nothing we called do . I said well the Police can then . The manager said there was no forced entry and that the police would not believe us, I was in tears as it wasn't our stuff it was the moral. The next day we went to the police and they said if there was no forved entry all they could do was a stolen report, so we did , but we went back and found our 15,00 jar of nescafe coffee had been stolen. I was in complete tears and me and my friend decided to leave the next day, On leaving the manager gave no apology and even denied theft. I found out later that there VING cards are easy to access any room and that anyone can gain entry, Still I cry about this experience. Don't STAY here if you want to keep your belongings.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank Kathy C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

I was Very skeptical but at $130 p/n family of four. We booked the 1 bed apartment for 4 night. Everything was clean in our room, the sheets were crisp, white and clean. They dropped off fresh towels every morning. Generous amounts of coffee,tea , sugar , milk , soaps and toiletries provided on arrival . Flat screen and 2x reverse cycle aircon /heaters were a plus.
Close enough to the city , with trams located a couple minutes walk away. Transport was excellent.

This place would only be good to stay if is your are a family or group of friends on a budget, as hotels or other motels with family rooms or extra beds can be pricey elsewhere, Though if you are only a couple or single your are better off at a hotel.

Downsides was the pool. It wasn't dirty but it was permanently stained in a section at the bottom which really turns you off also The parking they have looks real seedy.., I actually had to pop my head out the window from time to time to make sure our car was still there.

Actually the area in General gave off that vibe. The views you have from your bedroom windows are a 360 degree view of a regret. ...it is city proximity though...

Overall the 1 bed apartment was decent for the price.

Room Tip: Corner suites are best . Get the 1 bedroom apt. Close to the city . Affordable
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sylvia N
Ipoh, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I really regretted not reading what other people had written about the place before booking.

The staff was not friendly. They expected me to bring four remote controls to the rooms on my own while my hands were occupied with bags. On the day of checkout I brought the remotes back to the reception but they told me to leave it in the room! My wife had to climb the stairs and go back to the rooms to put the remotes back in the room! The mattress was really in poor condition and everyone complained of body ache upon waking up from bed. We had to take the stairs to our rooms. The room floors were 'sticky' and not cleaned properly. The parking space did not appear safe and it looked dilapidated.

As mentioned by another reviewer, the room stank of cigarettes and being a non-smoker it really wasn't a pleasant entry into the room.

They took my ID during check in and never gave it back to me during check out. They did not bother to call me informing me that they still have my ID with them after so many days of check out. When I was 900 km away and frantically searching for my ID, I finally called them asking about the ID and they told me that they had the ID with them. The person at the motel did not even bother to apologize about the experience.This place really has so many issues and the management really does not seem to care about their customers! I wished that the tourism authority in Australia can discipline such places or shut the place down.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank riverwaf

Travelers are raving about these Coburg hotels

Nth East Vic
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was directed to my room and the receptionist said " we just painted the window sill so it might smell a little". I asked for another room and she has hesitant so I had a look. The fumes were overpowering, they were not paint fumes but turpentine, a petrochemical paint cleaner. After calls to the manager and some argie-bargie I managed to get another room. The new room was ok except for the broken smoke alarm and faint smell of cigarette smoke. The bed was not made correctly so I re-made it. Everything was thin and worn out. The safety of my vehicle was also a concern. Also I "paid" for the room over the internet with a credit card when i got there the receptionist said that "we do not credit the card until you turn up". I thought it was odd that she said "it doesn't matter what card you use" when I paid at the desk...I thought I had better pay with the same card I submitted on the internet. Also there is a $20 bond for your key.

Room Tip: Go to another motel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Bob_Shooemaneur
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

The room was dirty
Had to as for a spoon to make a coffee.
2 sheets and a thin blanket and 2 very old thin pillows laid upon a child made bed.
Was too scared to leave the room until my partner arrived 5 hours later.
Curtain only covered half of the window and was poorly hung.
Didn't sleep all night and will never recomend or stay their again.

• Stayed May 2013
6 Thank Janenebabe
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

The first giveaway that this was a delipidated dive was the broken glass door to reception. Everything from that point went downhill. The room stank of cigarettes, as if this was the ashtray of Melbourne, the air conditioner was broken and farted out warm, stale air. There was dead bugs everywhere which would be good if they were running an insect museum, but instead it turns out they are emergency housing for the government. The pool was murky and the vibe was as shady as a sack full of sombreros. There are better 3rd world crack dens. My car was also broken into. All up costing me and my girlfriend in excess of $800. The manager was had an arrogant demeanor as I'm sure he deals with stolen goods and break ins there constantly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Duke158
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Dirty (kitchen still had food on appliances and benches, hair everywhere in bathroom), Leeks from rain, curtains broken, homeless man was staying on outside stairs and urinated everywhere
Scared to sleep and to leave belongings there
Most disgusting motel ive ever stayed in wouldnt even let my dog stay there!

• Stayed October 2012
8 Thank Michelle12344
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coburg
BreakFree Bell City
BEST WESTERN Fawkner Suites & Serviced Apartments
Dolma Hotel
Dolma Hotel
#1 of 2 in Brunswick

Been to StayINN Motel? Share your experiences!