The location is great. The furnishings and appliances were dated but normally this would have been okay if they were clean. The stovetop and oven has tinfoil to catch spills but had obviously been there a long time. We were able to clean the stovetop some which shows that housekeeping hadn't even tried. When we opened the hide-a-bed there lots of remnants of chips, popcorn etc from previous visitors snacks - obvious that housekeeping didn't even look. We also noted that under furniture and the drawers could have used a good vacuum. The great view we had was spoiled by windows soiled by dirt and some sort of white liquid - again something that housekeeping should have seen. We cleaned the windows ourselves. We had no sheets for the murphy bed or hide-a-bed but were able to get some from the front desk on the second day. The unit had a significant tilt which was a bit worrisome.
We had lots of toilet paper, paper towels and dish cleaning supplies. Would have been nice to have some general purpose cleaner etc...
The games roon had potential but the front desk didn't have change for the arcade games. We played ping-pong with paddles that we falling apart and pool with old cues and no chalk. Fooseball was fun but the air hockey table was out of order. The indoor hot tub was out of order during our stay and the pool was closed on the only day we tried to use it.
The beds were clean and comfortable and the front desk staff tried their best to be helpful with the shortcomings we noted but had little to work with it seems. We had a good family holiday and may give the place a second chance because we are so close by. I wouldn't recommend it to friends or family yet though. I am giving the place an average rating because the poor housekeeping may have been an uncommon thing. If we go again and experience the same housekeeping effort then I would rate this place as poor. All in all it makes me wonder if this is one of those places that is in financial difficulty.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Banff Gate Mountain Resort is an outdoor playground for all ages where mountain activities and rustic amenities meet. It is nestled in the majestic pines of Pigeon Mountain at the foot of the Lougheed and Windtower Mountains. Our 46 fully appointed chalets are surrounded by Lake Louise and the adventures of the Banff National Park. Activities include water rafting, hiking, skiing, mountain biking, dog sledding, golf and more. For those preferring more peace and quiet, the picturesque grounds of the resort provide the perfect retreat. Children’s play areas are intertwined by hiking trails that sprawl throughout the resort connecting to the surrounding wilderness. Local wildlife often wanders unhindered throughout the area and across the property. An indoor heated pool, hot tubs and a family clubhouse provide a well-rounded travel destination for families and adventurers alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Banff Gate Mountain Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banff Gate Mountain Hotel Dead Man`s Flats
- Banff Gate Mountain Resort Canmore/Dead Man's Flats, Alberta