“Relax! you're taken care of. Enjoy rural sophistication with stunning views.”

Relais Chalons d'Orange
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alvito
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Ready to leave the city behind and enjoy everything a sophisticated rural relais has to offer? Relais Chalons d'Orange offers superb international standards in lodging and dining, a welcome break from your typical weekend (sightseeing) getaway in Italy.

With a breathtaking (literally!) panorama of the valley and hills/mountains on either side, relaxation begins upon arrival. The ambience in the reception/breakfast area is inviting and tranquil and the well-appointed rooms express the same country elegance. Friendly owners Manuela and Carlo add to the easygoing atmosphere whether they are hosting a formal wine dinner or lunch for friends. Behind the scenes they spare no detail whether it's fresh fruits, vegetables and eggs from their garden, or the homemade preserves you can enjoy at breakfast.

We dined outside with a view of the infinity pool and mountains at sunset, and the following day enjoyed the refreshing pool and lounge chairs on the sun deck. I was even able to take a break to watch the Formula 1 race in my room which was a nice bonus. Back at the pool, the butterflies and scent of lavender in the air, as if on cue, were an almost comical reminder of just how great "getting away" can be. Thank you, we can't wait to return...with friends!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Manuela has created an hommage to the South of France landscape of her childhood in the vast,
stunnning wall of lavender separating the main house from the fruit orchard where Relais fruit preserves and honey start life. Rooms are comfortable, with terraces at ground-floor level, and breakfast featuring the farm's organic products, including eggs fresh from the Relais hens, is a special treat, with unrivalled views of the valley and surrounding hills. Elegant lunch and dinner
is available on demand, and the lovely Manuela is a fund of information about other local producers, which include a fine winery and organic herbalist practically on the doorstep.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank aceglobetrotter
Reviewed June 8, 2012

A month ago I had the chance to spend a long week-end in a very nice place in the country between Rome and naples, perfectly located to be reached by car.
It was a surprise, given that it was my first time in the area.
We found this place called Relais Chalons d'Orange and it was a beautiful escape from reality finding sort or boutique Relais in the middle of nowhere.
I slept so well I got up at noon every day and I was pampered by the owners (a very nice italian couple) as if I was an old friend or the most important client they had. Real professionalism with a family touch.
And what to say about the chef and the amazing restaurant? Folks, if you are on a diet, let me tell you one thing: Don't go there!

I'd go back anytime!

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice, some of them with big bathroom and hot tub
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I loved the charm and personal attention afforded to my family and me during our stay at Relais Chalons d'Orange. We were visiting this part of Italy from where my grand parents hailed and were thrilled to find such a lovely inn actually in the town of Alvito. We were greeted by the owner (plush a few chickens and geese) checked in, and shown to our rooms. While not super plush, the decor was simple, serene and very relaxing. Each room had a reasonable sized bathroom, large sleeping quarters, a mini-bar, safe and complimentary bottle of vino tipico. We were catered to like family, yet still given all the privacy we desired. We were served a gourmet meal of local cuisine made with organic produce, meats and herbs. We were sat comfortably on the veranda for dinner and spent the afternoon wading in the infinity pool which overlooked the valley of San Comino and the mountainous landscape of Alvito center. A simple yet delicious continental breakfast was served in the Country Lounge which was bright and beautiful overlooking the pool and valley. While one might consider Alvito out of the way, this charming location is an ideal spring board for visits to Rome, Naples, Pompeii and the coast. As we truly enjoyed our stay here, I could see this as the ideal setting for a destination wedding, family vacation or romantic get-away. Wireless Internet access was only strong in the common areas so not an ideal stay for the business traveler. But in such a beautiful setting, who could think about work?

Room Tip: Request a room on the back side of the Inn as they have the better view.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank BostonBoxerMom
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Getting there from our base at Picinisco proved to be somewhat intersting. We bundled into the car and set on our way with Tarcisio (age 90) in the driving seat. Lots of country roads and wrong turnings and "Santa Maria's!" from Grace, but finally there it was, an oasis looming on the horizon. Gasps of "oooh!" and "ah..." as the anticipation mounted. There we were in the middle of nowhere, in very unfamiliar territory. The silence was intense. Suddenly we were plunged into alien surroundings, the land soft and undulating, with fruit trees and vineyards stretching as far as the eye could see. In comparison, our home village and the surrounding area now seemed rugged, whereas before, it's beauty was paramount to me. Is this the kind of Italy the Brits are flocking to? We had arrived. This was it. Alvito meets San Gemignano! The Relais Chalons d'Orange is a very exclusive venue. With prices for roms starting at e100 per night )during winter) for a single and rising to as much as e260 sleeping 4 in high season, it is out of reach for many people. But that is part of it's appeal. On arrival, you are greeted by a friendly staff member (in our case, Miriam, who spoke perfect English). We had booked in advance for use of the pool and lunch, so our first priority was to strip off and enjoy the facilities. The place had been well thought out, the decor predominanty white and cream, with subtle tones of beige throughout. This gives rise to a feeling of calm and purity. Even the 'elevator' music by the pool had been carefully engineered to lull the clients into a soporific haze. The pool was delightfully cool and clean, but the main draw for me was the absence of crowds, even on a saturday in high season. Manuela Nargiso, the co-owner with her husband, have their own coat of arms which is embroidered on all their 'biancheria'. They assured us they were fully booked over the next few days and were encouraged by the way things were going after their inauguration just a year ago. After a pleasant couple of hours at the pool. we went to the restaurant for our lunch. The table was outside with a stunning view over the landscape and again, neutral colours and sheer simplicity prevailing int he dining area. We were offered the "pool" menu which was perfect for me, as it amounted to a light, nutritious offering, beautifully presented and ideal for a hot summers day. Much of the food is grown organically on site, which adds to the appeal of the place. I chose a mixed salad to start with, as it had an ingredient hitherto unknown to me, 'faro', a type of grain, which tasted like a cross between rice and barley. The cacophony of flavours was sheer delight and my daughter, Ophelia, who chose the tomato salad, said she had never tasted such heavenly tomatoes. For secondo I had some Melanzane Parmigiana which arrived in a compact, structured pile, with a terrine of tomatoe on the side which was new to my palete. I do make Melanzane at home, but it is invariably slopped onto the plate, so this neat, little offering was quite an innovation and brimming with flavour into the bargain! Ophelia had the pasta with vegetables which she described as a "symphony of flavours, spiced up with some good old fashioned chilli." For 'dolce' we had water melon sorbet, with a flavour so intense, it made you shudder as it went down. We washed it all down with a bottle of local Atina Cabernet "Cominium" 2008, which Adriana, Press Office of the Italian State Tourist Board, found so velvety smooth and palatable, that we asked to buy a couple of bottles to take home with us. In tru Italian style, this arrived beautifully packaged, with a flyer inside. Very clever marketing, I thought, as my inclination would be towards giving the bottle away to a wealthy friend as a gift, hence passing on the details and offering free advertising. It is,after all, first and foremost a business, even though it is easy to lose sight of that, as you are transfixed into a meditative state. After lunch, we returned to our sun loungers beside the pool and dozed in and out of sleep until the sun went down and it was time to return to Picinisco. This place is a real 'find.' A little bit of exclusivity and sophistication in the midst of an unspoilt land. It is refreshing and new and needs to be put firmly on the map. Personally, I would rather the Abruzzi remained undiscovered, but I have a feeling that with places like this cropping up, it s likely to become the next Tuscany. Diana Mancini email: dianamancini2@hotmail.com

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 29, 2011

I was in many hotels all over the world. However this hotel is one of the best where I spent time. Everything is perfect, the rooms, the ambiente, the food, the breathtaking view to the mountains. The rooms are very well furnished and have minibar, safe and Sat TV like a 5 star hotel. Neverthless the hotel has the charme of a stylish hacienda. The garden is nice planted with lavender and rosmarine and at night you can see fireflies. The only noises come from the nature. There is also a very nice pool.The owners are very friendly and speaking english. This is really an insider tipp for Italy. I will come back.

Katrin from Germany

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 8, 2011

This 'bed&breakfast' was recommended by friends & for once the reality exceeded expectations. Truly a Hotel de Charme with in a beautiful setting with delightfulyl elegant rooms & a restaurant which uses local produce, much grown on site .. Breakfast on the terrace with home made jams and honey while gazing across the rolling green hills was just the beginning of a memorable weekend. Mine hosts Manuela & Carlo were extremely helpful in recommending places of local interest but the unexpected bonus of a beautiful swimming pool on a very warm weekend made us reluctant to leave this oasis of peace & tranquillity.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alvito
Villa Euchelia Resort
B&B Portella Delle Fate
Hotel Borgo Antico
Hotel Borgo Antico
#1 of 2 in Ceprano

Been to Relais Chalons d'Orange? Share your experiences!