“Very pleasant stay”

Biggin Hall Country House Hotel
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Two of us on a singles walking break. My courtyard room was very comfortable and the pint of fresh milk in the silent fridge for morning tea was a nice touch. (I noticed a few negative reviews before booking - all quite old and mainly from some who have made few reviews - both of us were glad we booked.) From the time we arrived, we had the services of helpful and cheerful staff who seem to enjoy their work. They were also very understanding with one personal problem.

There was a noisy fan from the kitchen below my room - it would have been a problem but fell silent both nights soon after 10pm.

With the cheese course, dinner was 4 courses and very enjoyable both nights. It is not a 5 star restaurant and prices reflect that. Inclusive in our fixed price stay was an excellent breakfast (the usual - plus porridge, black pudding and great sausages!), a glass of mulled wine before dinner, a half carafe of wine with the meal - and a complimentary packed lunch both days - superb sandwiches too. Bear in mind this establishment is serving several guests. It's great value and a great place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed Sunday to Tuesday and enjoyed every minute of being there. As we are dog lovers we decided on a walking holiday for two adults at this fab hotel.

Room was an apartment on ground floor, very clean and big, the hotel is based around a farm so it was lovely to see the horses and cattle and lambs!!!

The food was great, three course meal with half carafe of wine and cheese and coffee well rounded menu both nights delicious. The packed lunch was a welcome suprise!! It was gorgeous and we used both days while out walking. Thank you I will be back xx

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Booked a night here for our wedding anniversary on the 'Ice-Breaker' package. We arrived into a cosy little lounge with an open fire which was lovely and after calling through to reception we were shown to a very sweet room with a little seating area/small bedroom (room 8). The room itself was nicely presented if a little tired in places. We had read (on trip advisor) that the owner was planning some upgrading of rooms so didn't have a problem with it.
The choices for evening meal were a little limited in my opinion, we have stayed in hotels at a similar rate and had more interesting menus. This was all a little 'seventies' prawn cocktail, pork steak, trifle etc.
There was nothing wrong with what we ate but I couldn't help but feel disappointed as I wouldn't normally measure a good meal by the fact that it wasn't unpleasant. My husband upgraded to the a la carte menu for his main course but there was nothing on there for me that particularly warranted paying the supplement.
We did ask the waitress what the 'selection of desserts' were from this menu but were told they were the same as the menu we already had!
The restaurant itself had quite an unusual atmosphere. Brightly lit and reminded me of a big cafe rather than the cozy restaurant I would have expected in such a place. The service was good at dinner but quite rushed and we had finished our dinner by 9.30pm (sat down just before 8)
There was no atmosphere to speak of and we found ourselves back upstairs before 10.30pm.
At breakfast ( served between 8-9 am, quite early and limiting on a sunday) we had to ask for some tea as the staff virtually ignored us.
The food at breakfast was very nice and a good selection was on offer. My request for some scrambled eggs was dealt with promptly.
My biggest issue with the customer service element of Biggin Hall was when we came to check out.
I went into reception and was dealt with by someone who was also on the phone. No eye contact, no conversation,just passed the invoice and then took payment all whilst just continuing the conversation on the phone.
Our package included a picnic lunch but nobody had mentioned it so I waited in order to ask about it.
Eventually someone else came into reception and asked if she could help. I mentioned the lunch and she told me it was in the front lounge, I must say although polite, her tone inferred that I ought to know that! Not sure how!?
The lunch wasn't there and she said this was because they would have tidied it away by now ( it wasn't quite 11am)
She went into the kitchen and fetched a selection of sandwiches, crisps, cereal bars and a couple of bottles of water and put it on the table. Told me to help myself and walked away.
Our feelings as we left were those of sadness. Not because our stay was over but more that we had expected more from our anniversary weekend away.

Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

I was brought here as a surprise by my partner and was 'blown away'. We were greeted by Emma, who was wonderful, and shown our room. The cream tea is well worth having, especially when taken in the library. The grounds are beautiful and staff go above and beyond to make your stay perfect. Want to tell everyone to go there, but going to keep it my secret for a while. Highly recommended & we are definitely going back.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We arrived after the severe snow and were allocated a big, warm room in the main house (room No 4). Staff very friendly and welcoming. Food served was generous of portion, well presented and good to eat. Nice relaxed atmosphere in the dining room with efficient service. After, we had coffee and mints in the lounge with a big log fire and chatted to our fellow guests who were also very friendly. I have rated the hotel as "very good" as I felt our bathroom (albeit spotlessly clean and with plenty of hot water) was very dated. I am sure that this is on a list to be done when funds allow. Otherwise excellent.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We have stayed at this lovely hotel on several occasions and have always loved it. This time was no different! We stayed in the Courtyard apartments on this visit, rather than the actual hotel. Our room was spacious, spotless and warm with a huge comfortable bed. The evening meal was delicious and excellent value, with three courses, cheese and coffee and mints. There was also a complimentary glass of mulled wine before dinner and a small carafe of wine with our meal, which was included. Would highly recommend this hotel if you want a relaxing refreshing break.

Room Tip: Both the hotel and the Courtyard apartments are excellent, with the apartments being cheaper.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Really comfy and friendly hotel, food was very good and well presented. The staff are friendly and helpful, An open log fire made the place very appealing.
At night the chatter of the geese was very soothing as they walked around.

We booked in for 2 nights and ended up with a third night because of 5 foot snow drifts closing all the roads in the area, which curtailed any real sightseeing other than facing the icy blast on the Tissington trail.

Would certainly go back for another visit.

Only slight drawback being as we were all forced into extra nights the hotel could have offered a slight discount on the rate or food as we were all captives.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building are larger and better, but they are a higher rate.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Biggin-by-Hartington
The Izaak Walton Hotel
#1 of 2 in Rowsley
Cavendish Hotel
Cavendish Hotel
#2 of 2 in Baslow

Been to Biggin Hall Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!