“Almost a Home from Home”

Biggin Hall Country House Hotel
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I'll come clean and say up front that my wife and I have been coming to Biggin for the last few New Years with a group of walkers, as well as in June most years, so it is practically a home from home in the area where our daughter was born. So I'm biased, but it also shows we keep coming back - for the welcome, the food, the comfort and the convenient access to all the excellent walking either direct from the Hall or after a reasonable car ride. A local bus passes the gate, I've noticed.

The dinners are substantial and the Table d'Hôte is varied and of good quality; if you're still hungry (which you won't be) you could probably spend much of the evening in the company of the cheese board, which has many local varieties. The Kitchen Staff are very helpful with special diets.

Breakfast is all you need, and Chef will do fish to order - haddock if he has it, or a kipper. My last one was not of the 'fresh but fiddly' type, but excellent eating all the same and I think I've had the other sort before with a day or so of notice.

Components for an adequate sandwich lunch are laid out in the morning, with drinks cartons and fruit.

Rooms are warm and comfortable - we've always chosen the Lodge, a cottage down by the road, and most of our friends use the Annexe, or 'Courtyard'. You get a useful fridge and a TV with loads of channels if you have the time. Another Reviewer has pointed out that you get a pint of milk for your tea or coffee instead of little pots - much nicer; someone else has said that the cups in the rooms are too small - we take our own, but I'm sure the Staff would find you a mug if you asked.

Complaints? Not many, and no big ones: the water is too hot in the Lodge, but we've been told that if half a dozen people need a bath after a day's walking there has to be plenty, and we can live with that. The coffee cups after dinner are of the old-fashioned tiny variety, but you can keep going back for more. There is no mobile signal in the valley, but there is free wi-fi in the Hall. (And, of course, a phone in the room.) More space to sit around before and after dinner would be nice, but that's the Jacobean size of the house for you. But the Lounge and Library are comfortable, the latter containing a range of books suitable for dipping in to if you forget to bring your own reading matter.

We'll certainly (in fact, inevitably!) be back.

Room Tip: We think that 23 is the best of the Lodge rooms, but 22, also on the first floor, is only slightly s...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Colin S

Reviewed December 30, 2012

taken here to dine by friends who been many times before excellent place to visit wonderful atmosphere and the food to match can not believe this was our first visit when very much on our door step they will be seeing more of us thankyou

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 26, 2012

This was a suprise present for my wife's birthday - two days and one night at Biggin Hall.
Bear in mind this 20/21 December 2012, arrived rain most of the way but a very warm welcome a very striking building. Shown to our extremely well appointed room in the annex - at least 30yds walk - everything one needed including a small fridge. Arranged for dinner 7.30, met with the friends who had given the present, complimentary mulled wine, good choices from a set menu complimentary 1/2 carrafe wine, 3starters, 3 mains, 3 desserts, cheese board and coffee, good comfortable bed, excellent breakfast and a packed lunch to take away all for £64 per person, excellent value for money.
The hotel is set in wonderful grounds, so relaxing and within walking distance of great countryside and only a short drive from the Dales and Carsington Water to enjoy a refreshing 7 1/2 mile walk round the water's edge.
Wonderful two day break highly recommended but book in advance because we know they are already mostly booked for next year.

Room Tip: All the rooms we saw were of a very high standard and all very quiet
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bernard W
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Enjoyed an evening meal here after, being non-residents, pre-booking earlier in the day. Now there is no set time for arriving. We started with a complimentary Mulled Wine in the lounge whilst perusing the menus. Decided on the four course menu for £22.50/head. This had several choices for each course. We cannot fault any of the courses for quality and quantity, apart from the garlic mushroom starter which was not very tasty. The fourth course being a help yourself cheese board of six or seven cheeses and various biscuits etc. Coffee was taken in the lounge at our leisure. The whole meal was enjoyed in a very relaxed atmosphere with no pressure on the time taken. The total bill being less than £60 for two, it is a must for visitors to the area.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed here together with my parents for two nights- my parents liked it well enough to stay a third night. The rooms combine modern amenities with period charm and there are loads of little touches like mulled wine before dinner and free packed lunches to take walking. I would definitely go again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Emily A
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Recently stayed at Biggin Hall for a couple of days. I was accompanied by my 2 dogs and and my Dad, and we both had double rooms. I was very pleased with my room - number 14. One window looked out onto the front area of the hotel, and the rear window had a nice view of the fields. The bed was big and comfy and I found the room to be very functional. I managed to position the telly so that I could watch it from the comfort of the bath, which was most welcome after a day walking in the peaks! One - extremely minor - gripe about the room was that I wished the mugs were a bit bigger for my cup of tea or hot chocolate! The hotel provide lovely hot chocolate sachets, but the cups provided weren't quite big enough. As I say though, very minor gripe indeed. The room overall was lovely. I wasn't too keen on the set up of being sent to wait in a living room area to wait to order food. I think everyone was talking in hushed voices, and it just felt a little bit awkward. The staff were very nice though and I was very pleased with the food I had on both nights. I had the sirloin steak on the first night and the goats cheese bake on the second, and both were very tasty. Good variety on the menu as well. I have read some other reviews that had been unhappy about the standard of the breakfast. I could not disagree with this more! The bacon was proper, good quality, well cooked bacon, the sausages were good quality and the black puds were spot on. The standard of breakfast was much better than many other hotels I've stayed in. The time frame of between 0800-0900 is a bit draconian for breakfast. I think it would be a bit fairer for people on a trip away to be able to have a lie in until 9am! Just an increase to 10am would be fairer for the guests. On the whole though, this was a great hotel for our stay. My 2 dogs thoroughly enjoyed their stay at the hotel, as did I, and I would definitely recommend to anyone wanting to walk the peaks.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ResponseOne
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed in room 8 over the weekend and must say that we had a lovely relaxing stay. When we arrived the welcome was warm and friendly, it was nice to be given a bottle of milk to put in the fridge for hot drinks instead of those little UHT pots you get. We had two evening meals and food and wine was excellent, the packed lunch the following day was a nice suprise. We will be returning in the near future.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Biggin-by-Hartington
The Izaak Walton Hotel
East Lodge Country House Hotel
Cavendish Hotel
Cavendish Hotel
#2 of 2 in Baslow

Been to Biggin Hall Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!